• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Pet Sematary Review & Comments

ozzzy189

Distinguished Member
My movie buff mate loved it, and he preferred it to the original and that's only happened about three times in his film loving career. He watches about 4 films a week and he's usually pretty good with his Facebook reviews. So I'm slightly tempted to see this.

mclingo

Distinguished Member
i enjoyed I.T but am very disappointed in the length of time we have to wait for the conclusion of the IT story, these should have been filmed back to back, to have to wait what will probably be 3 years or more to get the conclusion of only an above average two part story is a big ask for me, I wont be bothering with this until part 2 is released.

lucasisking

Distinguished Member
i enjoyed I.T but am very disappointed in the length of time we have to wait for the conclusion of the IT story, these should have been filmed back to back, to have to wait what will probably be 3 years or more to get the conclusion of only an above average two part story is a big ask for me, I wont be bothering with this until part 2 is released.

?

It's out this year, mate. Barely a 2 year gap between them.

nheather

Distinguished Member
That's a shame. Have it booked for Monday and will still go along as it sort of 'free' with my Cineworld card.

Must admit that I hadn't been getting great vibes from the trailors but was hoping that was just them trying not to reveal to much.

I will go with my expectations lowered and hopefully I will enjoy t for what it is.

Cheers,

Nigel

mclingo

Distinguished Member
I read it was next year, happy to be corrected, thats slightly better I guess, still think they should have been back to back.

Jessica Noir

Had a great night out with this. It might not do much new but it's well acted, beautifully shot by Ben Wheatley's regular DOP Laurie Rose and it the script makes some smart choices in adapting the book. It could have done a bit more to deepen the relationship between Jud and Louis, but I can forgive it for that.

Ripsnorter

For those who haven't read/seen the original, if you've seen the trailer for this you've already seen the film. I'm still fuming.

This is the problem with so many trailers these days, they don't trail the film as much as condense it into two and a bit minutes. Comments here are divided but, for what it is worth, I enjoyed Pet Sematary. It doesn't reinvent the wheel but how could it given the source material? Nonetheless it is a very confident update, pushes all its buttons skilfully, delivers the right amount of thrills, chills and ills and departs at just the right moment. If you are familiar with the first film and the novel then, as the reviewer points out, there are a couple of twists too.

terencejames

I've just started reading the book again after a discussion on Reddit cited it as one of the scariest books King had written. I had pretty high hopes for this after the trailer.

Last edited:

GhostRider17

Is this an actual "remake" of the last film or another adaption of the book?

dr no

Anyone care to comment if this is better than the original please

I recall the first being quite scary but then I was young in those days

Ripsnorter

Anyone care to comment if this is better than the original please

I recall the first being quite scary but then I was young in those days

It's very much a YMMV thing because it all depends what you mean by "better". In cinematic and SFX terms the new version walks it. The original, when not viewed in Nostalgiaramascope, is now very dated but is, naturally, a product of its time. So I'd say simply that Pet Sematary (1989) is the best Pet Semetary film of 1989 and Pet Sematary (2019) is the best Pet Sematary film of 2019, but a direct comparison is not really fair beyond the pub discussion kind. As for scares, it's all very predictable but manages its shocks, most of which are the 'jump' variety, very well, the horror coming from those and a few bloody/gore effects, as well as a neat end twist. But as for the premise, burying Rover, Mitzy or whomever in an old Indian (sorry, Native American) graveyard and they come back full on homicidal, that's just laughable. Seriously. I know, I tried it. Nibbles is still on that great exercise wheel in the sky :(.

dutch1585

Watched this the other night, thought it was pretty good did the job of a horror fairly well. The trailer completely ruins it though, would have been far better had I not seen a trailer.

I'd give it a 7/10 on first viewing.

domtheone

Distinguished Member
6/10 ish from me. Just back from the flicks.

Some pacing issues for me. Seemed to take a while to get going (which i dont mind) but then it was over all too quick.

Didn't think it was very scary really.

Even THAT scene didnt seem as bad as the 80’s version.

So another remake that adds, well, not a lot.

Really need more creative minds out there instead of remake after remake.

mr starface

Saw this yesterday, really enjoyed it. Some nice effects, good pacing and decent actors. Better r than the original film for me.

SyStemDeMoN

Distinguished Member
I also think it was better than the original. Does the change in story follow the book more or was it just a change for change sake ?

D

Deleted member 241106

Disappointed with this, never really felt like a horror and was bored after about an hour. Not that the original is that great either. 6/10.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom