Pet Insurance?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by MarkR, Mar 16, 2006.

1. MarkR

MarkR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +344
    We have a dog and would like to know where is the cheapest and best place to get pet insurance. I have heard that Tesco is quite good?

Any help appreciated.:)

2. jackal

jackal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I use direct line - 13.99 p/m for my dobe they have never quibbled about payment for treatment - which has been a number of times with my accident prone mut.

3. Mep

Mep

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +484
    I can't comment on how their costs compare but my 2 mutts are insured with petplan and we've made a few claims and never had any problem with them. Would recommend them highly based on service.

4. ufitsy

ufitsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +353
    We use Tesco's, the vets warned me that they take a long time to pay up & they were not wrong - no complaints otherwise though.

5. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +898
    I work for an insurance company so it wouldnt be right for me to recommend one company or another but which ever insurer you go with make sure you read the T&Cs.....

Many insurers have a pre-existing condition - the definitions vary so if your animal has any issues then make sure it will be covered or take into consideration that it wont be. Secondly a lot of insurers have a standard and a "plus" product where the maximum term for an illness is set so if your pet is unlucky enough to get a life long condition then either you will only be covered for the first X months or if you have the "plus" product you will potentially be covered for your animals life but will be tied to the insurer as if you change you will be subject to the pre-existing condition

6. Mr_Wistles

Mr_Wistles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    In my opinion Pet Plan are the only way to go.

You may find cheaper insurers but they will not provide the same coverage.

Pet plan do a "Pet for Life" scheme so once you have insured they HAVE to reinsure him each year. Other providers wont take him on if he has had a history of problems.

Also other providers like Tescos only pay out a set amount per problem, typically £2,000. So if he hurts his legs and it costs 4k, Tesco's will only pay 2, you pay the rest. Also once they have paid out on one problem they will not pay out for the same problem again. E.g your dog has hip dysplasia and has an op that costs 2k, Tescos pay out, but when he needs a follow up for the same problem they will not pay.

You may get lucky and not get a problem but if you do and you are faced with a hefty bill even though you have insurance it will could be heart breaking.

In my opinion Pet Plan is a no brainer (this is why they are expensive though, as they cover absolutely everything).

I pay around £85 a month for my two labs but if it was double I would still pay for the peace of mind. As I have said before I like them (well one of them) more than the missus.

7. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,100
    I think M&S do one and it is the very same one as a major insures but for some reason its is cheaper.

8. number4

number4
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I was using Petplan for my Akita-Inu and it was costing £21.99 per month with £60 excess,I have now changed to M&S the exact same cover with no excess to pay is £12 per month.

9. Kebabhead

Kebabhead

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +508
  10. Mr_Wistles

Mr_Wistles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    Marks and Spencers in not nearly as comprehensive as Pet Plan.

11. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    Direct Line here....not the cheapest overall,but pretty near it,and very efficient.

12. Toasty

Toasty
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,536
    I'll be looking into pet insurance soon. What is generally covered? Any visit to the Vet, or treatment as a result of the initial visit to the vet? Are some treatments excempt?

13. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    Usually there are age restrictions(often in excess of 7-8 yrs not being covered for NEW insurance),and almost invariably no cover for pre-existing ilnesses or problems.

Another often used restriction relates to ilnesses that are common to certain breeds.

Be very careful reading the wording of any such contract,and have a look at a few before buying....we found the explanations and wording of the Direct Line site quite helpful,which was another reason for choosing them finally.

14. Steve N

Steve N
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,390
    We used pet plan for our first boxer. (from the moment we got him as a pup) We never had to claim as the excess precluded claims for routine treatment.
    As he got older he started getting lumps that may have had to lead to treatment.
    I contacted pet plan, who told me that my cover expired in a months time, as they do not cover boxers after the age of 8 yrs.
    I was told, very patronisingly, that it is in the small print in the terms and conditions.

15. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    That I can well believe....we were very careful with the insurance,but took it out knowing that anything our dogs had previously been treated for would in all likelihood not be covered...it's virtually identical to (human) personal health insurance.

16. Mr_Wistles

Mr_Wistles
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,035
    That suprises me about Pet Plan with your boxer.

One reason we are with them is they said that out pets were insured for life as long as we dont miss payments.

I have had over 11k out of Pet Plan for one of my dogs (hes not even 2 yet). If he was with any other insurer apart from them I would of got barely anything as they have capped payouts and once they have paid out for one thing they wont pay again.

It also depends a lot on the breed. Small dogs tend to get less problems than large dogs. Also there are more problems with pedigree dogs.

17. CooperUK

CooperUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +308
    I'd agree - we have M&S for our cat. Cheaper than most and no excess to pay. We made a claim recently and they were very good, even sending us a very sympathetic letter about the situation.

18. Astaroth

Astaroth

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +898
    These types of policies vary greatly between both providers and between schemes offered by the same provider.

For the vet side of things anything that isnt for cosmetic reasons or routine vacinations/ neutering tend to be covered - so teath cleaning, nail clipping etc isnt unless it is due to an illness the animal has.

Some policies have limits to how much they will pay out for a single condition (which includes ongoing treatments and complications) but the limit can either be financial (say £5,000) or time based (eg 1 year). You can get policies without these limits but they tend to either be poorly written and will be changed at renewal at some point when they wise up or are more expensive. As I said in my previous post - a consideration with a no limits policy is that you are potentially locked into them if you do make a claim for an ongoing condition as almost all new policies have a pre-existing condition exclusion as well as a max age.

In addition to vet bills policies often also have things like 3rd party liability cover, covering some costs for finding your animal if it strays, cost of replacing pedegree animals if it dies within certain timescales/ is stolen etc. Some insurers even offer councilling services if your family animal is diagnosed with a serious illness or dies.

19. Member 14718

Member 14718

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +25
    Direct line for me.

Iv'e insured our King Charles and it cost 12.50 per month for anything up to £6000. Excess of £65.00 Had to claim last month and everything went smoothly, so well pleased

Tom

20. MarkR

MarkR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +344
    Thnaks for the advice everyone, certainly given me ideas on what to look out for.

Will post here once I have decided which one, will be looking at the M&S with interest.