Pet Insurance for Cat

serpico77

Distinguished Member
I have a kitten and I have 4 weeks free Petplan insurance that expires next week, just want some recommendations for any that are affordable but not over priced.
Its an indoors cat and I want full cover.

Thanks

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
IMO.

Unless you're very emergency cash tight. Insurance for an indoor cat is most likely not cost-effective.

I've had 8 indoor cats, 4 pairs between myself and when I lived with my mother, none of them needed any vastly expensive treatment that would have been covered by insurance bar towards the end of their life and by then, even with the cost of any treatments, you'd have spent far more on insurance over the years than treatment costs.

For example, one of my cats, Jasper, developed cancer. An operation, tests and diagnosis cost about £600, further treatments over a couple of years before he died were another £200 or so. Insurance would have been at that time ~£12 pcm over 20 years.

Outdoor cats are different, there's a chance of them being run over, infections, poisoning, getting into a bad fight etc, all of which could require expensive and ongoing treatments.

It is a "gamble". You could be unlucky, and if you're not in a position where you may need to come up with £1000 for something then perhaps insurance is for you. I've never bothered and my pets have never been denied any treatment that was necessary.
I'd also add that Jasper didn't get much in the way of treatment other than pain relief towards the end and checkups. He just happened to live a good long while with his cancer, despite being diagnosed with a couple of months to live he soldiered on well for nearly 3 years until it was time to end things.

I'd also add if I had a dog, I'd have insurance.

Last edited:

CooperUK

One thing that may save you many £ is vacs4life at vets4pets (if they still do this).

You pay a one off fee of about £100 or so, then you get the vaccinations and two health checks per year for the life of the cat - the longer the cat lives - the more you benefit.

Over the time we've had out cats it has saved us about £500, as the vaccinations and check used to cost about £60 per year.

Miss Mandy

One thing that may save you many £ is vacs4life at vets4pets (if they still do this).

You pay a one off fee of about £100 or so, then you get the vaccinations and two health checks per year for the life of the cat - the longer the cat lives - the more you benefit.

Over the time we've had out cats it has saved us about £500, as the vaccinations and check used to cost about £60 per year.
My vets do their own monthly version of this and it can work out good value for money. I can't remember what I pay as it's bundled in with the dogs price, but it covers two vet checks a year, flea and worming treatments, and vaccinations.

For insurance I've used Tesco before and they were good. The price was reasonable and they were really easy to deal with when I had to make a claim. After the claim the price did rise, but it was still one of the cheapest quotes I found so I stuck with them.

My current cat is an indoor cat so I've decided not to bother with insurance this time. Claims with previous cats have been for injuries relating to fighting with other cats or getting hit by cars, but hopefully those aren't risks I have to worry about now.

serpico77

Distinguished Member
I am paying my Vet something like £11 a month and that covers two vet checks a year, flea and worming treatments, microchip, and vaccinations. I am also entitled to PDSA but they were not accepting anyone at the time I got my kitten so I joined to get him registered and checked over.

What will happen if he becomes really ill and needs any treatment?

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
£11 per month appears to be about the going rate.
Our outdoor cat is 9 years old - so we saw a jump in premiums from £8.50 to £11 per month when she turned 9. We are with M&S Pet insurance.

The cat has never needed any treatment other than worming and fleas, but we've had advice from the vet on her weight - she's 7.5KGs and she attended a few Cat Fat sessions and is on weight reduction food - which so far has seen a weight increase of 0.5Kg...

If you have pedigree cats they are more likely to suffer from inherited diseases and abnormalities. Ours is a rough old farm moggie and despite her excess weight still catches birds and mice - and as her weight increase might suggest, eats them! Long haired can also suffer more due to them ingesting the hair and causing digestive issues.

I guess therefore it depends on a few factors. If you have an a possibly inbred accident prone pedigree, get the insurance, but consider if it's worth it for a more mundane animal that takes reasonable care of itself!

Sloppy Bob

Distinguished Member
I am paying my Vet something like £11 a month and that covers two vet checks a year, flea and worming treatments, microchip, and vaccinations.
That seems cheap if it includes insurance but I'm sure it doesn't.
That seems expensive for just what you've described. A Microchip is a one-off cost, it's a housecat, so doesn't really need it. Flea and worming, probably the same if the cat isn't going outdoors and can be done cheaply yourself if required. Needs done with much less frequency for indoor cats.
The vaccinations are more expensive the first year but after that you're just topping it up and your cat doesn't need all the vaccinations as it's a housecat. The Feline leukemia is the most expensive of the vaccinations and that's the one you don't need.

What will happen if he becomes really ill and needs any treatment?
This is the part I mentioned before that is relevant. Vetrinary treatment is expensive, surgical procedures very much so.
I choose not to have insurance as I find it more cost-effective, however, if my cat needed £1000 of treatment tomorrow I have the money.
If you can't afford potentially expensive treatments then you should have insurance. I cannot stress that enough.

the whistler

We bought a pedigree kitten six years ago and it was intended to be an indoor cat, but he had other ideas and drove us mad trying to get out. Eventually he escaped through an open door and it was just impossible to keep him in after that.

We do have insurance, about twelve pounds per month but the annoying thing is the excess which is £90. We have taken him to the vets several times but the cost always seems to fall below the excess figure and so we can't claim.

serpico77

Distinguished Member
That seems cheap if it includes insurance but I'm sure it doesn't.
That seems expensive for just what you've described. A Microchip is a one-off cost, it's a housecat, so doesn't really need it. Flea and worming, probably the same if the cat isn't going outdoors and can be done cheaply yourself if required. Needs done with much less frequency for indoor cats.
The vaccinations are more expensive the first year but after that you're just topping it up and your cat doesn't need all the vaccinations as it's a housecat. The Feline leukemia is the most expensive of the vaccinations and that's the one you don't need.

This is the part I mentioned before that is relevant. Vetrinary treatment is expensive, surgical procedures very much so.
I choose not to have insurance as I find it more cost-effective, however, if my cat needed £1000 of treatment tomorrow I have the money.
If you can't afford potentially expensive treatments then you should have insurance. I cannot stress that enough.
Yes it probably is but cheapest around and the Vets is virtually on my doorstep, they actually do a checkup every month until its 6 months old so that's good. I also get 10% off any other things and will come in handy when he has the chop unless I can join PDSA by then. After the first year I may not do this but its just some security as its all new to me. They also cut his claws which I couldn't do.

I noticed a lump on his neck only last week so I took him in to be checked over and it looks like its just some reaction to his first vaccination and now its gone so that was a relief.

Its an indoor cat but I do have a terrace so maybe in time he can go out but for now until he's much older I won't allow it.

I need to have a look around, as I couldn't afford a fee of something like £1000 so maybe go for a good reliable company that don't charge over the top.
Tesco wanted about £25-30 a month which seems lots for an indoor cat.

VastGirth

Insurance for cats just doesn't seem worth it. We have never had it and the cost of any treatments has always been less than what the premiums/excess would have been. We have never done regular checkups either and most of the cats we have ever had have lived to a ripe old age.

I'm not sure indoor vs outdoor cats makes any difference. They can get injured or sick in either and sadly the type of of injury that can only happen outside, i.e getting run over, tends to be the kinds that no amount of vet care is going to fix.