Pesky intermittent fault

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by Andyh4324, Aug 29, 2013.

1. Andyh4324

Andyh4324

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +319
    Been having this recurring problem with my system for a while now and don't know what to try.

Some examples of what happens are:

-In game the screen will go black and the monitor will display "no signal". Sound will continue to play and I guess I can continue to use the system but i have no idea what is happening as nothing is shown on screen. Only solution is to reset.

-In game the screen freezes in a stripy brown/green screen and the last <1 second of sound is looped infinitely. Only solution is to reset. Sometimes the system resets itelf.

-In game the screen will go black (I believe no signal to screen as it goes to standby after a while) and the GPU? fans will spin up faster for a few seconds. The system is unusable. Sometimes resets itself. Only solution is to reset otherwise.

It can happen after 5 mins into a game or several hours. I don't remember it having any problem using normally for browsing etc, just in game.

I thought it was the GPU as it started about the time I got a new card (Gigabyte Windforce HD7850). I contacted Gigabyte but they sent me some generic reply about checking the system isn't overheating and is the system getting enough power (how am I supposed to test that?). My case has plenty of airflow and I re-seated the heatsinks with new paste to make sure. I put tape on all the spare connections of the PSU to try and rule out shorting on the case. I tried running it on the other PCI connection on the PSU. I guess the it could be on the way out but it's not that old.

No other component has changed since this GPU was added to the system. I have tried re-installing the card and updating drivers + BIOS etc but with no luck. I am pretty confident that it is not overheating as I have good airflow through the case and it has been regularly cleaned of any dust.

Sorry for the lost post but I know tou need as much info as possible to get a good picture of what is going on. So...any ideas guys? :lease:

Last edited: Aug 29, 2013
  2. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,503
    I had a similar issue many years ago and it turned out to be a faulty 24 pin extension lead. A psu tester found the fault and once the cable was removed the issue went away. If you can try and get your hands on a psu tester to test your psu that would be a start they cost about £25 and are well worth the cash.

3. Chox1988

Chox1988
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,161
    i think its a fault with the gpu, i'd try replacing drivers and failing that reinstalling windows, then trying the system with a component removed at a time just to rule stuff out, even though its 99.9 percent gpu related, but it sounds like you need a new gpu.

4. mrbobc

mrbobc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +424
    defo gpu dying. hope its still under warranty?

5. Andyh4324

Andyh4324

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +319
    Got it in November from Overclockers. Hopefully they are good with RMA's?

6. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,503
    I wouldn't be so sure mate as I had the exact same issues and my gpus were fine. I ended up testing in other rigs and no such issues occurred. Basically if a gpu doesn't receive a steady flow of power then it will show issues exactly as the OP has stated in his first post. It normally shows up as a TDR error ie time out.

7. Andyh4324

Andyh4324

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +319
    What PSU tester would you recommend Razor?

8. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,503
  9. Andyh4324

Andyh4324

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +319
    Is it likely to pick it up if it's intermittent though? Although I guess it only show under certain conditions. So the tester runs through several conditions I guess.

10. Razor

Razor
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,503
    Yes it will. Mine was intermittent and the psu tester picked it up straight away. I would get the exact same as you and it could be whilst playing a game or surfing the web. There was no discernible pattern to the problem which made fault finding even harder.

The psu tester will test to see if the power being supplied is constant and at the correct level.

If you do send back the gpu and its not faulty it will cost the same or more to get the gpu sent there and back so buying a psu tester isnt really a waste of cash. Another route to try would be to place your gpu in another pc or if you have another psu laying about to try that. If you have any extension cables for the psu remove them to rule them out.

11. mrbobc

mrbobc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +424
    yeah, guess its best to make sure tbf. having another PC around the house is definitely the quickest way for testing suspect components.

thats what i do, i just assume everyone else does that too...? :suicide:

12. Naaktgeboren

Naaktgeboren
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,275
    :laugh::rotfl:

13. jellofund

jellofund

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,282
    These days OCUK are pretty good for RMA'ing stuff from my experience. Plenty of horror stories from the bad old days (pre- Case King takeover) though.

The good news is that Andy bought a Gigabyte card and they have a great rep for after sales service, so if he has any probs he can always deal with them directly if it is indeed a GPU issue. UK based service centre too.

14. RandomLee

RandomLee
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,948
    I had a Gigabyte Windforce HD7850 for a while and it had similar issues to what you’re describing.

Had no problems getting a refund from OCUK, although I didn’t have to go through RMA process as the card was only a week or so old meaning I was covered by the Distance Selling Act.

Having said that, I’d follow Razor’s advice about testing the PSU first before creating an RMA with OCUK.

15. paulktreg

paulktreg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +131
    What was your previous GPU? Did you completely remove the old drivers using something like Driver Sweeper?

16. Andyh4324

Andyh4324

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +319
    The previous card was a 5850. I cant remember how I uninstalled it but I've since tried several times with different and new drivers to get it to work since.

17. holtehero

holtehero

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,766
    I've got a very similar issue with my PC currently, have just bought a Dr Power II PSU checker so i can check that my power supply isn't on the blink first.

I normally get the 3rd issue in the original post and its completely random, can happen when the PC has been on for 5 minutes or 5 hours and has happened while browsing, watching a film or playing a game. Can also go for a few days without seeing any problems.

I did originally think it was Windows 7 and/or a faulty Nvidia driver, but have since upgraded to Windows 8 and its exactly the same. In all the error logs i've looked at, it always says its one of the Nvidia files causing the crash.

Mind you my good mate Razor has convinced me to buy a GTX780 and wait till next year for the Mobo, CPU and Ram upgrade, so if it is the graphics card i'm likely to be changing it anyway, hence why i'm checking the PSU first.

18. Andyh4324

Andyh4324

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +319
    Right, and update for you.

I've received my PSU tester this morning. Plugged it in and all is well according to that. So that's saved my confidence in Corsair PSU's as I had another one fail a couple of years ago.

Also I used Driver Sweeper like paulktreg suggested on the GPU but no difference.

So off to OCUK I suppose to get them to RMA the GPU. I hope they are pretty good as jellofund says.

19. Andyh4324

Andyh4324

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +319
    This might be a bit cheeky but is anyone local to Dorset that would be willing to lend me a spare GPU if they have one? I'll pick it up if it's not too far away. It'll just be untill they sort the RMA out on this card. I would just buy a second hand one but I am pretty skint so can't really afford to spend out any more money that is necessary. :blush: