1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

PES 4 on X Box

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by welshpaul, Nov 26, 2004.

1. welshpaul

welshpaul
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Any views on it?

2. Only777

Only777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Not as good as Fifa 2005 :)

3. CYRUStheVIRUS

CYRUStheVIRUS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    ISS on playstation1 is better than fifa 2005 :rolleyes:

4. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,340
    Lol - I hope you've got your flame retardant suit on! Or do you deserve to get burned...? :devil:

5. Only777

Only777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Flame away ;) I'm loving fifa online and don't mind admitting it. I just hope everybody hasn't defected. Otherwise it will be just me and Chris Moyles online this weekend.

6. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +731
    Super Soccer on the SNES is better than FIFA 2005.

No change that, the steaming floater in my toilet is better than FIFA 2005.

7. Only777

Only777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Ok then, sell PES to me.

My opionions of both games so far are.

Graphics - Fifa owns Pes (Fifa has colour - Pes seems drab, animation could be better on both)
    Presentation - Fifa owns Pes (no question , pes must have taken all of one day to do the front end)
    Licensed players/teams - Fifa owns Pes - north london anyone? ;)
    Gameplay - ? subjective this one, I haven't played PES much, but it just seems slightly speeded up. Fifa is more instantly gratifying for me.

Come on you secret fifa fans, i know you're out there :)

8. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,014
    The Ball, a very important aspect of football.
    PES has a ball with weight and proper physics. The ball in Fifa tends to travel a few inches in front of the players feet and seems to defy gravity in just about everything it does. When you kick a ball in PES you actually feel like your player has kicked the ball, in Fifa I dont feel that is the case at all.
    Animations, I'd be surprised if there weren't more actual character animations in PES, the players move so fluidly now I'm not convinced Fifa rules this area anymore.
    Shooting in PES is just about perfect, it's hard to shoot properly and it's so accurate that you have to ensure your player is going to shoot when he is in the right position right down to which foot he is on at the time of the shot, in Fifa a shot is a shot from my experiences.
    Graphics, Fifa has always ruled the whole graphical presentation aspect of the games but dont you find that the players bodies in Fifa have always been out of proportion, I always thought the heads were too big for the bodies lol. In PES4 the player likenesses are getting as good as Fifa and some IMO are actually better now.
    Just my opinions and whilst I dont like Fifa I do try it everytime a new one comes out but it is still wide of the mark IMO.
    :)

9. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,850
    lol it's not too obvious that you've never REALLY played PES mate. When I say that I mean give it a good day or two's solid play before judging it like other arcade fests like err FIFA.

I'm pretty sure on this one, yep there we are i'm not wrong...PES is also in full glorious technicolor! Are there many black & white games about these days - I thought they died out with space invaders. You don't buy a footie game because it has good graphics - I bet you were playing Virtua Striker on the dreamcast whilst we were all enjoying an allbeit rather crappy looking game called ISS Pro Evolution Soccer on our PS1!

Konami thought (abviously wrongly in your opinion) that spending as much time as possible on getting the gameplay right (so that the game feels like you are playing football) was the priority, not how nice the menu's look. Menu's should be functional & the formation/player change/strategy screen in PES is a work of genius when it comes to functionality.

Agree this is the ONLY area in my opinion where PES needs to improve.

PES plays like football, FIFA doesn't. You can score the same old goals all the time in FIFA, you can't in PES. FIFA can be mastered in an afternoon, you never fully master PES. There's not even a contest in this area (which incidently is the most important area) so i'll leave it at that.

If instant gratification is what you're after then I really don't see the point in selling PES to you any more - you are already playing the right game. :thumbsup:

10. o THE CHAD o

o THE CHAD o

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    spot on mate.110% agreement there.:thumbsup:

11. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Mmmmmmm. Firstly graphically Fifa 2005 is massively superior to PEs4. I mean Pro evo looks awful. I mean really really terrible. The pitch textures look like they have come from PS1 version. Totally indefensible.....

I have to say I am a fan of Fifa 2005. However having played PES4 for many hours today I have to finally agree the game play is much better (although it is hard to score). The live implementation is definitely much better than Fifa 2005.

What you need is PES4 game play with Fifa 2005 graphics.

Please don’t anyone say the graphics on PES4 are good or as good as Fifa 2005. And for gods sake dont say the graphics on PES4 PS2 version are better than the xbox version.

Generally It looks terrible!

Also people quiting when you score is a real problem. They have to get this sorted and penalise quiters. Every time I go into the lead in the second half the other team quits. Its really anoying. :mad: :mad: :mad:

When all said and done its an esseentiual purchase for the xbox. I will be playing this for a long time. It might get to the stage where I just play with decent people (from here and friends list) if they cant sort people bailing when they are losing....

12. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +731
    gthom3 = the man speaketh the truth, the whole truth and nothing but the truth.

13. Munkey Boy

Munkey Boy
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,340
    Only777 - if you're enjoying FIFA online, try Pro Evo - the netcode is streets ahead, and assuming you have a decent friends list, you'll find it head and shoulders above the FIFA lagfest. I've played both.

The thing I always say in these Pro Evo vs FIFA arguments is that I've never met anyone who enjoys skillful football go back to FIFA once they've played Pro Evo in any depth. Seriously, mate, try it. You'll see what we mean... What have you got to lose? :smashin:

14. Only777

Only777

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +124
    Erm, nothing if i buy it from Game ;)

Of course if i do like it better within 10days, whos gonna buy my worn copy of fifa?

15. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,850
    Agree 100% with this - the only people who remain FIFA fans are those who have either never given PES a real go or those who don't appreiate a good game and probably think that Halo2 has got nothing on Unreal 2 :D .

I agree that the pitch textures on PES4 are truely awful and look like they have been generated on a C64 but the player graphics and the stadia are superb - great likenesses and detail and the players are very well animated. FIFA players look deformed and as Museumsteve mentioned they are all out of proportion.

16. captaindobie

captaindobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    I've played most of the FIFA games over the years and must admit that it does appear to improve with each new version. However, like most true footie fans i was extremely excited with the news earlier this year that PES4 would be made available for XBOX.
    My copy of PES4 arrived this morning (i played a friends FIFA05 a couple of weeks ago). Now, i have only played it for about an hour this morning but can say that i am suitably impressed. As has been highlighted already you do actually feel as though you are playing football (the ball physics ARE amazing!)
    Graphically, it is a bit of a let down compared to FIFA. Pitch textures are poor and IMO the animations are not quite as good. However, the most important issue is the playability - PES4 wins hands down!
    Sound, FIFA edges this too. There seems to be a little more atmosphere, creating some extra excitement during the match. Commentary is poor on PES4 (its is TREVOR after all) That said, the combination of Motson & McCoist on FIFA can only be a double act first thought of in the deepest, darkest pits of hell (just my opinion you understand :devil: )
    It is a little disappointing that they have still not sorted out the licensing situation on PES (they're getting there though). The editing functions do seem quite comprehensive (although, sadly, it appears i will not be able to create the famous hoops shirt with this editor :thumbsdow )but it will take forever to update everything.
    Anyway, rambling on here. The reality of things is that FIFA05 is not a poor game by any means (although it is terrificly slow!) but if you do want just about the best and most realistic representation on a home console of the beautiful game ever then there can be only one - clan PES - i know i've been converted :clap:

17. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,850
    hehe class piccie of Brian Potter!

18. Stealth Rodeo

Stealth Rodeo

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +217
    Can anyone tell me if there are any advantages to buying the XBox version of PES4 over the PS2 version?

I have both consoles, but I've been waiting to see if there's a big difference in the 2 versions.

I'm interested to know if the XBox version is in 16:9 widescreen.

Does it have Dolby Digital?

Thanks for your help.

19. captaindobie

captaindobie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    Played both versions in the last couple of days. They are virtually identical in every way. The XBOX version is not widescreen but it does have a dolby digital soundtrack. I think the only major advantage of the XBOX version is XBOX live really.

20. welshpaul

welshpaul
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Having started the thread thought i'd put my two pence in.

Have played FIFA 2005 and thought it was good, bought PES 4 and am blown away.

Very realistic to the real thing, the player animation is superb. Henry's stance on receiving the ball is the real thing. Even has Pires whinging for free kicks all the time!!! ( I am an Arsenal fan by the way so no complaints!)

My only ctiticism is there are so many techniques, button combos that i'm frustrated i'm not yet getting the best out of it.

Ace title. Have part ex'd a lot of my games lately and have now only got Halo 2, PGR 2, Top Spin and PES 4. Good thing is these will keep me happy for ages.

Any idea on the next 'must own' coming out on the box?

21. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,850
    Below are the advantages & disadvantages of the PS2 version over XBox version -

Advantages

- PS2 version has sharper & more vivid graphics
    - You can play with a dual shock 2 pad without using a converter - this all depends if you're used to the DS2 pad already though and is rather subjective.

Disadvantages

- No online support
    - Slowdown in 60 htz mode (and still some in 50 htz mode on some stadia)
    - Takes a bit longer to load
    - Sound is not quite as good - X-Box had DD5.1 sound
    - Can only save to memory card so you are more limited to the amount of replays you can save.

The PS2 version is better IMO for games against mates in the same room - in 50htz mode it looks great, plays nice & fast and there's no slowdown if you pick a decent stadium.

I love playing on Xbox live though as you do get a bit bored playing the same mates all the time & it provides great variation. If I was to just have 1 version then it would be the X-Box version with out a doubt. :thumbsup:

22. harrisuk

harrisuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +58
    Got to get the Xbox version for Live alone.

23. buzlightyear

buzlightyear

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +116
    Is it just my copy or is the commentry a bit out, im top to the league in the first divsion and I played PSV who are about 4th, the commentator came out with "these two teams battling against relegation"
    But 100% agreed that the gameplay is miles better than Fifa, is that not the way it should be?

24. scrapbook

scrapbook

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +527
    I have been off from work today so i hired out PES4, Fifa 2005 and Club Footy from my local blockbuster on X box.

I am a big footy fan, but haven't really found a footy game that I have enjoyed or owned since the days of ISS on N64 and Sensible Soccer on the Amiga.

I have rented Fifa 2003 and 2004 on previous occasions, 2003 pretty good but 2004 didn't feel right at all.

Played PES4 first of all to see what all the hype was about and defo very playable, really enjoyable from the moment you pick it up. You can carry out some great passing moves to unlock a defence.

The one major disappointment that I have never been aware of is the lack of licences for the premiership teams. Although the players are real it was not quite the same playing as North East London!!

I really wanted to play at home (spurs) against norwich for a 6 pointer to avoid relegation..oppps i mean at home against Newcastle for the 6 pointer to qualify for the champions league!!!

Didn't enjoy club football at all, shame really as there is a dedicated Spurs version out there.

Quite enjoyed Fifa 2005 to be honest, slightly slower than PES, but the licence thing is probably the deciding factor as I don't think there is a huge amount between. Although to be fair a days play is probably note a long enough period to make a proper appraisal!

25. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,850
    FIFA is ok for a rental I guess but the game has no where near the depth of PES and the learning curve ends after a day or so. With PES the game get's better and better with each play - i've been playing the series for 5-6 years and i'm still learning new stuff! If you're going to buy one you'll get much more enjoyment and value for money from PES IMO. :thumbsup:

26. knoxy

knoxy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Played PES 4 last night for first time on xbox and I have to say - wow. I admit, the presentation is nowhere near as good as in FIFA 2005 but sweet cheese-us, the gameplay is simply superb. By end of night, I'd put FIFA 2005 up for sale on the web.

It just feels so... real. I don't know how they've done it but, it works. Played online as well and was as smooth as.

As an Arsenal fan I did laugh when I saw them called North London but it gives you an idea of how bad (although its better than previous versions) the gameplay is on FIFA compared to PES for me to sell it after playing PES for a few hours!

27. knoxy

knoxy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    Cas Fan! I saw your friend request last night but forgot to accept - I'll do that tonight. Wondered who that was :)

28. CAS FAN

CAS FAN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,850
    No probs Knoxy ;) - Glad you like the game and you are spot on in what you say. There are FIFA fans out there or you could say there are people out there who haven't yet played PES as it's the same thing. I've never known anyone go back to FIFA after sampling the delights of PES. Yes the graphics are a bit nicer, yes the presentation is flasher, yes they don't have teams called Merseyside Red and North London and have all the real names but when it comes down to it PES feels just like real football and is supremely playable & addictive - i'm not quite sure what FIFA feels like but it's not football and the game becomes boring after a few hours play.

29. Rob20

Rob20

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +339
    Should have this game by Fri. Shame that it isn't in widescreen. Football is one of the few games where it actually makes a significant difference. For the same camera view you can see more of the width of the pitch than on 4:3. I remember in FIFA 2003 you could see more of the pitch. TBH I was a bit cynical and thought the option might have just stretched the picture to fill. But I was wrong and it made playing the game easier as you can now see more of your players/space to pass to/into. :)

30. Pooon

Pooon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +731
    Thats EXACTLY what this game is....real. The school kids and post-pub players can keep their FIFA arcade football nastyness, i'll go for the real deal everytime