• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

PES 2012 - Preview Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

geoffdalt

Standard Member
Hi all, I was wondering if any of the plans for PES 2012 online had been released. I really hope they set up some sort of league that people can join and face off against each other on a regular basis. I think that was missing from the master league online part. I still really enjoy playing it online but it gets quite annoying facing dream teams, there should be some sort of barrier to limit the types of team that you get paired with.

Jamezinho

Distinguished Member
The first details of PES 2012 have emerged today in the form of an announcement video featuring series creator Shingo 'Seabass' Takatsuka talking through some of the new gameplay features:

YouTube - UK_PES 2012 Announcement Video

Likely Release date: October 2011

Jamezinho

Distinguished Member
nice 1 fella. :thumbsup: i'm praying for a better showing from Konami this year :lease:

Yeah, same here. I think Seabass and his team are really starting to get back to their best after a few years in the wilderness. PES2011 is a very solid game that I've enjoyed a great deal, but PES still needs a lot of work in many areas.

Early days yet and apparently much more news to come, especially around E3.

There's a developer blog with Seabass here:

PESFan.com News - PES 2012 First News - Developer Blog with Seabass

Also, some impressions from PSM3:

PSM3 Blog: PES 2012: PSM3's verdict on what Konami are doing well - and not so well - PSM3 Magazine

Last edited:

steviebwoy

Prominent Member
Hm, not an awful lot to go by from that video, but I really hope that this game focuses more on the actual playing of the game, and a lot less on all the nonsense behind the scenes. I don't want to play an RPG, I want to play a football match!

steviebwoy

Prominent Member
I think what really bugs me about these footie game previews is that they seem to harp on about essentially the same thing every single year, then you play the game and can see very little evidence of their pre-release amble.

This is what was said about PES2011, for example! :D

Konami have finally issued a press release regarding PES 2011, and I have to say that it sounds as if the developers have been listening to the fans. The press release promises a total revamp of the system, under the mantra of ‘total revamp, total freedom, total football’. I hope that they can live up to their promises here. New features include improved game tempo, aesthetic improvements, tactical advances, passing gauges, enhanced in-game physics and an online Master League.

Recent manifestations of the pro evo series have provided arcade-style gameplay, whereas FIFA seems to have been making the more notable steps towards realism and individual control. The press statement seems to offer an admission of this, with features such as a passing power gauge and a stamina bar being promised as new features. Konami are keen to express that this is the “most ambitious redesign in the series’ history” (Jon Murphy- European PES team leader for Konami Digital Entertainment GmbH), which comes as a relief as the PES franchise has definitely lost its undisputed mantle as the best football game available.

The developers have asserted that this year’s game will attempt to recreate the passing and movement found in real football, and that the tempo of games will ebb and flow, mirroring real life. This should significantly enhance the game, as it’s been possible on pro evo, for far too long, to give the ball to a star player and annihilate a weaker opponent. What’s more, a realistic pace has been needed for some time now. Especially when playing pro evo on a large screen, it’s become very apparent that the tempo is a little ridiculous. If anyone actually played like a pro evo player in real life, I’d fully expect them to get banned the following morning on doping charges.

Another promise that is long-overdue, is the promise of enhanced defender AI. Konami have announced that defenders will no longer challenge for the ball when it’s unnecessary, and will hold their positions more ‘naturally’. Personally, I really hope that they’ve cut out the glitch that occasionally makes your defenders allergic to covering when another defender misses a tackle. Having played a lot of master league with the default players this year, I can assure you that this has caused me a lot of grief.

The claims that players will have more control over play are supported by an upheaval of the animations system, with over 1000 new animations added. In addition to this, players will have to second-guess the runs of team mates when making passes, and will have more control over what happens during each match. Hopefully, Konami will have cut out the repetitive parts of the game where animations become frustratingly predictable, giving the feeling that you’re simply going through the motions.

Finally, the idea of an online Master League is a positive step. This could add hours, if not days, to the longevity of this year’s PES. Some strong rivalries could be forged over this, and this has the potential to be far more involving than playing online matches to merely enhance your ranking. I’d be amazed if Konami manage to make this work smoothly on their first attempt though.

The overall message that I get from this press release is that Konami are trying to mimic FIFA in certain areas in order to reestablish Pro as the front-runner in the football games market. Sadly, whilst the FIFA series has been steadily improving, PES seems to have been plodding along, content with past glories. This press statement is what I’ve wanted to hear from Konami, because it sounds as if they are looking to make a real statement here. Improved control, new online features, enhanced realism, a better tempo; these are all things that are desperately needed, and the total revamp on offer here is long overdue. Pro evo 2011 could be phenomenal if Konami deliver. Watch this space.
Source: PES 2011: First Preview | Soccer Gaming

I take these pre-release hype articles with a HUGE amount of scepticism.

kynox1393

Established Member
I liked pes 10 alot, but for me pes 11 went downhill. Especially the shooting, which felt more luck than skill.

Hook, line and.....

If this got back to the quality of PES 6 then I'd be first day for it. Hours wasted in Master League and a 46 match unbeaten run in my uni household with Ajax. I miss those days, hoping Konami can bring them back!

steviebwoy

Prominent Member
Is that as clever as you get? Calling someone by a slightly incorrect name? What are you, eight!? :rolleyes:

Jamezinho

Distinguished Member
First screens:

http://winningelevenblog.com/blog/pes2012-news-first-screens/

PES2012_event04_1-580x326.jpg

PES2012_event10_1-580x326.jpg

PES2012_event06_1-580x326.jpg

LeeDicko

Prominent Member
Quote from PES team leader Jon Murphy

"[FIFA] has the atmosphere, the crowds and certain licences we don't - and everybody knows they've got better commentary than us. I can't see that changing. And some of the stuff they're doing with the collisions looks great, depending how it works as you actually play. But if you want pure gameplay, I think we'll smash them this year. We've got so many things going for us, but just the lightness of touch and the way the players move independently is fantastic. You notice it instantly."

Why would they freely admit the commentary point, wouldn't it better to try and make the commentary better instead of just saying it wont change :confused:

Craigy

Distinguished Member
Quote from PES team leader Jon Murphy

"[FIFA] has the atmosphere, the crowds and certain licences we don't - and everybody knows they've got better commentary than us. I can't see that changing. And some of the stuff they're doing with the collisions looks great, depending how it works as you actually play. But if you want pure gameplay, I think we'll smash them this year. We've got so many things going for us, but just the lightness of touch and the way the players move independently is fantastic. You notice it instantly."

Why would they freely admit the commentary point, wouldn't it better to try and make the commentary better instead of just saying it wont change :confused:

Think it is all license related, the other game can freely talk about any teams past glories, derby matches and are able to call on Sky's team to do the work.

Really like the new videos, already makes 2011 obsolete, well the Wii version of 2011 did that anyway!

richp007

Distinguished Member
to be honest when i think about it properly, i don't care about the commentary, and i don't care about the licenses. i just want a game that plays great. we haven't had one for a while :laugh:

i know they were only little videos i posted above, but i watched them all a few times, and the movement and the way the game seemed to flow in them (even tho they were short) is the best i've seen for a long time. if that is how the game "is actually" going to play on release, then it'll be a winner for me regardless of the licenses etc. Fifa 11 was almost scripted to hell. same everything happening constantly, it was so boring. hell, it was a work of art jst to get a man to run down the wing. you had to run backwards past him to, to make him run forwards :rotfl::facepalm: and PES 11 was no better gameplay really either to be fair. But it looks as tho for PES 12 they've thought more this time about how a game actually flows, and a few more of the things players actually do in a game. like run to pull defenders away. i thought that looked very nice :thumbsup:

Trashman1971

Prominent Member
The ai is what let both games down,with them diagonal runs it should be a good addition,,Hope the overlapping runs by the fullback are customisable though,if they do it constantly then your going to have a lack of defensive cover,havent played pes since the ps2 days,so dont know if theres custom tactics/formations like fifa,,ive only one of my fullbacks in fifa making forward runs,the quick one,,lol,,the other stays put most of the time.

Craigy

Distinguished Member
The ai is what let both games down,with them diagonal runs it should be a good addition,,Hope the overlapping runs by the fullback are customisable though,if they do it constantly then your going to have a lack of defensive cover,havent played pes since the ps2 days,so dont know if theres custom tactics/formations like fifa,,ive only one of my fullbacks in fifa making forward runs,the quick one,,lol,,the other stays put most of the time.

I think 2011 put people off becuase there was a lack of off the ball running, the tactics were probably a bit too in depth as well and people just wanted to play a game.

Can see it being similar this year but the overlapping runs will be based on team tactics and that players individual trait, so Alves and Maicon will just basically be wingers, thank god they have not introduced a player run trigger button though to get past the issue with lack of player runs in 2011.

RobG123

Established Member
6 new great looking PES videos showing off the AI improvements :thumbsup: i really hope they make a good game these year :lease:

Feature: Pro Evolution Soccer 2012 gameplay videos - Official Xbox 360 Magazine

This looks incredible. Football games should be about precision build up and genius through passing and this looks like it could hit the mark perfectly.

I was a die hard Pro Evo fan until 2008 (which was dire) made me switch to Fifa. Think this is the first one that looks like it may tempt me back (or buy both :devil:)

Status
Not open for further replies.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 8K TV dead? Philips OLED+907, Pioneer LX505 AVR plus B&W 700 S3 Reviews & Visit + AV/HiFi News
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom