PES 2012 - Preview Thread

Jamezinho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The first details of PES 2012 have emerged today in the form of an announcement video featuring series creator Shingo 'Seabass' Takatsuka talking through some of the new gameplay features:

YouTube - UK_PES 2012 Announcement Video

Likely Release Date: October 2011

Last edited:
Last edited:
this is gonna suck etc. All hype etc.

Kiddin'. I've still got PES2011 and play it weekly and that's the first PES I've had since PES6 that has lasted this long. PES 08-10 were flogged before Xmas.

Refinement is where it's at but Konami need a lot more common sense.

It's amazing how konami have managed to somehow lose the pick up and play appeal of the old ps2 pes series - I used to spend hours on pes2-6 but I've barely touched pes2011. Not fussed by fifa either so I live in hope that one day something as engrossing as the ps2 pes games will arrive (or sensible soccer for that matter). The presentation and lack of customisability (is that a word?) really ought to have been addressed by now. This is a next gen platform after all.

First screens:

http://winningelevenblog.com/blog/pes2012-news-first-screens/

PES2012_event04_1-580x326.jpg

PES2012_event10_1-580x326.jpg

PES2012_event06_1-580x326.jpg

Fifa has gone stale for me now. Playing it over the summer results in the same type of goals and poor defending.

Now I'm looking forward to all the positive things I'm hearing about pes this year. Hopefully the demo will convince me to stay away from fifa this year.

Was just about to mention that the first demo is now up. It may not appear under the latest demos, so just search for it if not. :)

I think this may be the first time in years I consider buying PES over Fifa.

I mentioned how fifa was going a bit stale, and honestly, had lost its fun to me (I'm mostly a single player vs com and mates) Yes I could play as my beloved Orient, but that in itself is highly depressing.

Had read about PES this year, supposedly returning to the good old days, but I'd heard it before so didn't really hold out much hope.

Its just a fluid game, and is fun for me. Which means that I will probably stick this on my pre order list.

GK's are hilarious in this build though. Plus the speed is a bit much ( I've toned it down) and the running animations aren't as smooth as fifa.

I don't play much FIFA these days, but the one thing and notice when not in PES is the true 360 and natural feeling movement. Is it still a bit rigid? It is nice to see a demo with a reasonable amount of time to play, rather than 4 mins in total.

I think this may be the first time in years I consider buying PES over Fifa.

I mentioned how fifa was going a bit stale, and honestly, had lost its fun to me (I'm mostly a single player vs com and mates) Yes I could play as my beloved Orient, but that in itself is highly depressing.

Had read about PES this year, supposedly returning to the good old days, but I'd heard it before so didn't really hold out much hope.

Its just a fluid game, and is fun for me. Which means that I will probably stick this on my pre order list.

GK's are hilarious in this build though. Plus the speed is a bit much ( I've toned it down) and the running animations aren't as smooth as fifa.

Yeah I completely agree. Really like it so far, may be not as realistic as Fifa but much more fun. The AI is generally very good, for instance I had a defender run into the goal for a amazing goal mouth clearance in one game. Also i like the way you can just drag players around in the manage teams area to create different formations rather than scrolling loads of preset formations.

So far so good.:thumbsup:

Yeah I completely agree. Really like it so far, may be not as realistic as Fifa but much more fun. The AI is generally very good, for instance I had a defender run into the goal for a amazing goal mouth clearance in one game. Also i like the way you can just drag players around in the manage teams area to create different formations rather than scrolling loads of preset formations.

So far so good.:thumbsup:

It manages to be more fun than FIFA IMHO yet is still tons more unpredictable. Shots from the cpu come from all over the place, and it doesn't seem like the cpu is a cpu.

In the demo really liking playing with Porto. Can string some nice fluid football together. One thing I'm struggling with is heading. Not scored with a header, and tend to be shaky in defence with them. More practice I feel is needed

Well i am impressed. Switched to FIFA last few year as pro has been awful.. but my word it seems to be back big time. Big things i notice are it's hard to defend, (you jump out of the d line at your peril).. it's hard to score with a header unless you press L1 when you cross the ball (I've found it tends to line up the player better).

There's also more close ball control than ever.. It really is an impressive game engine.

FIFA is gunna have to go some to beat it

I played the demo last night and was really impressed, only thing I was not sure about. I crossed the ball in and was controlling Berbatov, went for the header but Rooney headed it in. Either it quickly switched control to Rooney or the computer took pity on me and thought they had more of a chance of scoring than I did!

I played the demo last night and was really impressed, only thing I was not sure about. I crossed the ball in and was controlling Berbatov, went for the header but Rooney headed it in. Either it quickly switched control to Rooney or the computer took pity on me and thought they had more of a chance of scoring than I did!

Yep, it is an option you have to turn off in system settings before you start each session, same with pass and clearance.

Had my first Top player win last night, ok I was Man Utd playing Porto but I won 2-1 but only just. Scored two nice goals, one with berbatov using the side foot button from edge of box at an angle off the post and another a 25 yard outside of the foot swerver from Giggs.

Really like the new ball physics the shots have more curl/spin now, more realistic, the flight of the ball on my Giggs goal looked almost real.

What pass assist level are you guys using? with it off 0 bars it seems more manual than on the PC demo, and more manual than 2011. Also it seems to not only effect pass direction but power too, I think I prefer it set to 2 bars, the left stick on my pad isn't as accurate as it once was and I struggle to get the accuracy I want at times.

Only real downer with the demo is the keepers are rubbish from range but I hear it's being worked on and like the PC demo the graphics seem more blurry than they should be.

Last edited:
I've just been playing the demo could anybody help me out on the button layout I'm not too sure

After you have started a game, press Start to pause and then in the menu you will find the button layout.

Dont we hear all the time about the keepers being improved but this never happens?

I'm suprised no one has mentioned the dreaded lag issue. Online is a big part for me and the pes series was plagued with it, been playing FIFA 2 years now and lag isn't a problem, still miss the realism of pes though, if only they sorted the lag, but I suspect it will be the same old story.......

I like

the crossing
the AI runs
the way some passes are hit with more pace but seems hit and miss
player likeness
tackling is a skill
pace is only good for a few yards so you will need to use good play to break teams down
Replays and tunnel footage
Player collisions

Despite all of the above there is still something missing, to feels more like italia 90 than a simulatioun football game in 2011 and PES have all been poor online in the past. I think this is the first time in 3 years PES has actually improved in its previous game, its good but its no FIFA beater the irony is that the PES presentation is better than FIFA while in the past FIFA was better presentation but PES won the gameplay.

I think PES will be the game that has moved a lot forward this year but only because previous attempts were dire while FIFA it is about tuning some of the game modes such as the managerial side of things and the clubs online the game engine is really good already as are the goalkeepers.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom