1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

perturbed by apparent E-TTL flash problems with digital EOS

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by dood, Jan 12, 2005.

1. dood

dood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    After recently acquiring a long wanted 300D, I plunged into buying a 550EX flash gun for it. I didn't know much about it so I started seaching and reading. I came across this excellent article: http://photonotes.org/articles/eos-flash/

Now I am concerned by the aparent problems that are encountered by digital Canon EOS cameras and the E-TTL flash guns.

What are your experiences? Are these problems significant or do these flash units give good results most of the time?

I have read that for consistent results one should use the camera in manual mode and let the flash do the rest.

2. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    I use a Canon 420 EX fitted with a Stofen diffuser mainly with the camera set to manual and am usually pretty happy with the results. As with any flash photography though you have to know the limitations - there are situations where things dont work too well eg several objects/figures at varying distances from the flash, being too close to a subject etc etc.

My best advice is to practice taking photos in as many different situations as possible an play with your cameras extra functions (second curtain sync, FEL etc) and try to understand exactly what works in what situation - particularly useful things like fill-in flash.

Are you having any specific problems yourself?

3. dood

dood

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    I've only used the 550EX once to take shots of hand made shoes made by a friend for a catalogue. There was high ambient light and everything was set to auto. The pop up flash gave washed out and reflective images, the EX gave slightly underexposed images across the range.

4. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    hmmm...I'm not even sure what you can set when shooting in auto to be honest but...
    Does the 300D have FEC - flash exposure compensation? I've got a feeling it doesn't without the firmware hack (one of the 300ds shortcomings) but if it has then this function will sort out your underexposed images.

Failing that try positioning yourself differently - see if there is a reflective surface that you can bounce your flash off, maybe even buy or make a reflector. Every time you shoot check the histogram of the image to see how things have turned out and adjust things accordingly.

5. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Ahh..but the 550 EX has FEC, so no need to hack the 300D for that alone.

I've had good results with mine so far (only used full auto with flash)....the main advantge is the 300D will take pictures at ISO 100, with just the pop up flash, it defaults to ISO 400.

Not yet had time to experiment in mauual modes.. :rolleyes:

6. tomson

tomson

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +187
    You learn summut new every day!
    So I presume can you adjust the FEC even if shooting in auto? That should solve doods problem :smashin:

7. Johndm

Johndm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +56
    Indeed it does....set FEC on the 550EX, and it will even override any FEC setting on the attached camera, (if it has FEC)......I think!! :D