1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Persons with chipped xbox/hi-def display look here

Discussion in 'Xbox Forums' started by berserkgoose, Oct 8, 2004.

1. berserkgoose

berserkgoose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    I'm pretty sure this hasn't been mentioned here- The new xbox media center will play DVD's upscaled to 720p/1080i. It defaults to the best available resolution set on the MS dash as any games would. It also has additional features like gamma/flicker adjust things like that which make it a lot better than the MS DVD player or DVD-X. Also the MS remote is fully compatible.

Obviously the normal rules apply you need the xbox set to NTSC and component leads connected.

If like me you have one of the newer panasonic projectors AE500 or the AE700, the 720p setting should give you a 1:1 pixel map for your DVD's (wide 720).

Overall it is still not perfect but if you do use your xbox for DVD viewing, it is certainly a worthwhile upgrade.

(I posted this in both consoles/PJ forums as I believe it applies to both)

2. MarTTy

MarTTy
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    where are you getting the upgrade from?

3. DucatiEVO

DucatiEVO

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Normally you need to download that kinda stuff from Mirc - xbins etc.

4. berserkgoose

berserkgoose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
  5. Darwock

Darwock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I installed the latest version of XBMC but it doesn't play any DVDs at all, never mind playing them in 720p. When I select Play DVD nothing happens. if I browse the contents and click on individual files in the video_ts folders, nothing happens either.

Any tips?

6. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    by latest release do you have the CVS (2004-10-29) or the 1.0.1 point release?

XBMC cannot handle dvd menus, it can only play the film at the moment. Thats something to be aware of, although its top on the developers list as quite a few people are paying for them to put this feature in. Have you tried any other dvds? Different regions or something? I know the CVS works for me so also check your settings.

7. Darwock

Darwock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What is the CVS? Can you give a link? I got the latest one on the bittorrent sites, which I think was dated 5th October, but as this post was on the 8th of October I figured that's the one he was talking about.

8. GJD

GJD
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Idiot question I'm afraid. I have an unmodded xbox and I'm about to get a LCD tv that will support prog scan/hi def. I've read somewhere I can play some PAL games in hi-def by downloading (US I guess) save games from the net. Can anyone shed any light on this??

9. Darwock

Darwock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well now I definitely have the CVS release, whatever it is, because I've just installed it again. WHat are you supposed to click on, Play DVD? It still doesn't work. It either locks up and stops responding, or it just returns control to the menu.

10. berserkgoose

berserkgoose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Darwock, try clicking on play DVD and leaving it for 20-30 secs without touching owt else. It normally takes a while for the DVD to start.

11. Fatbob1080

Fatbob1080

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Ive never got it to play on selecting play dvd. I either load one of the .ifo files in the video_ts folder or if that doesnt work but loading the individual vob files works then i create a playlist, i *think* going from memory, the Y button adds the highlighted vob file to the playlist then i *think* black button, possibly white goes to the playlist youve created and you select play there.... menus dont work in xbmc by the way, unfortunately.

12. Darwock

Darwock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've selected play from the left hand side menu, and from the files in the directory. Nowt happens.

Do you need to have the MS remote and dongle for this? I didn't think you would cos you don't for DVDX (but that's only 480p)

13. Fatbob1080

Fatbob1080

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    No, you dont need the remote. It does seem like a pain playing dvds in xbmc. Only other thing i can think of suggesting is doing a complete reinstall. Delete the xbmc folder off your hd and delete the save game in the dashboard. Also delete the... cant remember the name exactly, something like 0face folder from tdata and udata folders on your E drive (which is where the save file is stored so may already disappear if you delete through the dashboard). Then copy across xbmc again. Failing that, dunno. xboxmediacenter.com forums? :zonked:

14. Darwock

Darwock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Deleted the save, and frustratingly it is now displaying the video selection menu in 1080p, but it still won't play DVDs! Can anyon ename a popular title I might have that should definitely work?

15. berserkgoose

berserkgoose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Darwock, try setting to 720p instead of 1080i- that should work

16. Fatbob1080

Fatbob1080

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    Although 1080i will work on a ptae700 pj. I dont know if it makes a difference but my xbox dashboard settings are, in pal: pal60 enabled, widescreen, surround, dts+dolby digital enabled. Xbox is set to ntsc mode in widescreen, same audio setup, 480p off, 720p and 1080i on. Also, i tend to set my clock when its wrong, ive also disabled in game reset in the evolutionx.ini. Like i say dont know if it makes any difference but im out of ideas otherwise! The only popular dvds ive watched in xbmc are blair witch 2 and resident evil. I think i had to make a playlist of vob files for blair witch but res evil played from loading one of the .ifo files. Watched em both in 720p

17. berserkgoose

berserkgoose

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +45
    Yep 1080i will work with the PJ, the problem is that the current build of the media center will NOT play DVD's in 1080i, even though you can enable it in the menus. Also I really don't see the point of trying to play DVD's in 1080i anyway, 720p is the perfect match for the panel in these particular PJ's (Panny AE500/700)

18. BigRD

BigRD

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    I have the latest versions of XBMC and connected to a 22" Compaq monitor via an X2VGA. This WILL allow 1080i. I had problems at first but if you reduce the amount of Cache for UDF playback (I reduced mine to zero) the DVD will play fine. If you also press the start or back button on the controller(can't remember which off the top of my head) the resolutions will be displayed at the top left corner. It shows native and upscaled res including 1080i. :smashin:

However I do have access to an XGA PJ from time to time and when XBMC is set to 1080i the PJ compresses back down to 720 so I can't see any benefit. When set to 720p the playback is more reliable and looks stunning :thumbsup:

What a way of being able to upscale DVD playback to HD for under £100. :beer:

19. cwoj

cwoj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello

I am thinking of buying my son a xbox for xmas. What should i be looking to buy him? How will it connect to my plasma (th42pe30 - viera) for the best picture? I understand that they come with a hard disk? Why? I have also seen threads that say that they have them modded or chipped? Again why?

20. dolph

dolph

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +26
    Cwoj - see replies in the other thread you started please...

21. cwoj

cwoj

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    sorry i didnt realize that i had posted it here too...i must have double clicked :mad: