personal import of M&Ks

Discussion in 'Home Cinema Speakers' started by Adam M, Aug 21, 2006.

1. Adam M

Adam M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    guys,

with the dollar exchange rate being so good, has anyone considered direct personal importing of complete set ups?

I am all for supporting the UK dealers, but the pricing in the states seems to be dollar for pound, which after import duty and VAT would still represent probably a 33% saving if not more. when you are looking at a £6k speaker set up, surely that should not be dismissed as an option.

Has anyone looked into it?

2. Knyght_byte

Knyght_byte

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +600
    some people do bring stuff in......but what you need to remember is that you dont normally get any support from the manufacturer if it goes wrong....some will, but a lot wont.....

which means if it does go wrong its going to eat at that 33% to get it sorted...lol

(also that 33% is usually a best case scenario....sometimes after all duties have been paid its a fair bit smaller when just going for one setup....importing bulk would be cheaper)

3. Adam M

Adam M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    import duty plus vat is 25%, shipping of that size maybe £200 worst case scenario.

dollar for pound prices, makes it 1/1.9 times the price. *1.125 plus £200.

on a 6k system, that is still a MASSIVE saving.

but I take your points.

Am not sure how wrong speakers tend to go. not had many problems over the years with speakers. Especially passive ones.

4. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    be careful with subwoofers though as they will be 110volt and although in theory you could use a transformer you could end up with hum problems

5. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you can import M&K speakers then yes you can save quite a bit of dosh over the UK prices but like Ian says for the subs i would only buy one here as they will be 110v and not 240v...

6. Adam M

Adam M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    any suggestions on any companies that will ship internationally from the states?

pm if necessary.

good point re the subs!

7. MADONMACS

MADONMACS
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Hi Adam M

Personal import of MK system, thats just what i am thinking of doing:smashin: :smashin: :thumbsup:

Its a real shame MK won't / can't ship outside the USA :(

The dollar price is very good at the moment even when import duty and Vat are / maybe involved. (maybe £220ish) MKs are still a huge bargain

Ie $1299 for the K3 system £685!!:clap:

I am assuming you have been to the MK webstore for even cheaper deals direct from the factory?

http://www.mksoundstore.com/store/merchant.ihtml?cid=58&step=2

I am even thinking of getting a cheap flight to NY staying in a hotel for a few days and get the kit shipped next day UPS to the hotel?!? Then buying an extra suitcase and stuffing the system in there (the sub would go in the hold on its own)

UPS will ship international next day (25kgs) for only $220

I am wondering how they work out and charge the VAT & Duty?

I'm not too worried about the reliability issues I have a few friends who already have MK Pro & domestic systems for years and have had absolutely no problems whatsoever.

I have emailed MK concerning the power supply issues concerning a USA sub for UK use, I had a quick look and found one of the subs that seems to be ok 110-230V switchable (the KX12SF)
    see backplate image.

I am also trying to find some USA to UK importers
    AFAIK M&K will only ship to aa adress in the USA ( I assume this includes Exporters / UPS and the like)

This is a very interesting thread for M&K potential / existing users.

If i find out anymore details I will post the replies / results here

Regards

MADONMACS

Attached Files:

8. Adam M

Adam M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    thanks for the reply.

Not sure I would bother flying out there to carry it back, although you stand a chance of not being collared for vat and import duty though I suspect that would be tax evasion.

I didnt bother looking at M and K direct as I know they wont ship internationally as it goes against their dealers in europe.

That does not mean that a reseller in the states wouldn't be willing to ship internationally.

I wouldn't be keen on trying to lug a full 150 system through airports and customs, especially the way the airport security is now.

If you have it shipped (25kg is not enough) then when it enters the country it has a declared value and content that customs and excise will look up the rate for. This will then be sent to you as a separate bill.

Thats fair enough, although what bugs me is that you have to pay import duty and vat on the shipping. I also think it sucks that you have to pay vat on the import duty. Tax on a Tax!

9. Lakes_Puma

Lakes_Puma

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
  10. Adam M

Adam M

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +19
    well I have managed to place my order and have had it confirmed that it has all been sent but only to an address in the US.

This is going to be a late wedding present from my cousin as she was waiting for an opportunity like this.

She gave me a budget and I have managed to get me a nice set up by taking advantage of the exchange rate!

Am hoping since it is a wedding present there wont be duty and vat to pay!

I chose

mps150 3 speaker front set up in silver
    two sets of CS29s for the rear and centre rear
    and an mx150 sub.

Not read much about it, but it was cheap. Am hoping with M and K I can't go too far wrong. It seems to have had some good reviews from people on here.

11. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Very nice indeedy :smashin:

12. nicklang

nicklang
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hey, this is something I've been considering.........perhapes we are related ;) and our mutal cousin will send me my wedding present. Of course, I'll have to remarry,.....,but with a saving like that it's worth considering:rotfl:

13. acave

acave

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Buy the pro-range. Same speakers, cheaper prices.

http://www.mkprofessional.com/

the range is less but in my opinion they've cut out most of the cheaper sharper sound speakers.

I owned S-85, S-125, K4, K5, SS-150, 1525's, 3x M&K subs and at the moment I run 3x2510P's which as yet I've yet to hear better for movies.

I've also recently had a home trial of the new 1611p monitors. These are well worth looking into for the front 3.

Oops just noticed you've purchased lol

14. mrapbp

mrapbp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +237
    Like the idea of this and would be possible to carry something like the new Xenon range back and they are £'s for $ pricing............

Was thinking about buying new in the UK but could save myself about £1000 doing it this way.

15. j0hn

j0hn
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    does this stuff actually sound like a cinema? Ive always felt that little something is missing from all speakers ive heard, dont get me wrong I like what I hear but that little extra is just always missing. I actually even like the way pre film music sounds in the cinema, solid, heavy, party like...

...do these speakers do that?

16. 30CenturyMan

30CenturyMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    I'm selling my S-150s and SS-150s in the classifieds section, if anyone's interested. :blush:

17. mrapbp

mrapbp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +237
    2K is a lot for some second hand speakers, what are they like?

18. Blarney

Blarney

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +35
    Hi, just a personal experience with M&K here!
    I just imported a pair of CS-29s directly from M&K for a price of $699 plus $300 shipping. They were on offer as refurbished but on opening the box they appeared brand new. customs charges worked out at approx 20%.
    The reason I was able to do this is that I live in Germany and it just happens that M&K have no distributor here. After much email contact they agreed to supply me direct from the factory shop and the service was very good and professional. No hiccups or hitches.
    Should anyone be in the same situation as me then this is a very viable option.
    A word of caution for shipping though. M&K offer two international options. Leman USA or UPS. Take UPS as Leman USA ship only to the nearest airport and you have to pay the costs from the airport to your door. UPS deliver to your front door.

19. j0hn

j0hn
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Anyone had any experience of friends/familly sending these over marked as a gift?

Should encounter zero customs charge etc?

20. 30CenturyMan

30CenturyMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    I would prefer to keep all correspondence on the actual thread, but my price equates to £1900, and I don't think it's "a lot for some second hand speakers", when you consider their new price of £3810. :)

They are probably the best movie speakers you'll ever hear, for sensible money.

21. mrapbp

mrapbp

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +237
    Well that will be a matter of opinion then wont it!

Wasnt saying they were overpriced just that for £2K I can get a set of Xenons so was wondering how they might compair.

22. 30CenturyMan

30CenturyMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +173
    I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say that the S-150s will completely destroy the Xenons in pure performance terms. :)

23. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The S-150 speakers are IMO the best passive speakers availible for Home Cinema use :thumbsup:

24. j0hn

j0hn
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Can anyone please tell me if that K3 system is any good? bottom of page http://www.mksoundstore.com/store/merchant.ihtml?cid=56&step=2

(3) K7's are 4 Ohms. H x W x D: 12-7/8 x 4-7/8 x 6" 8 lb. Available in Black. Click HERE for more K7 info.
    (2) K4 Tripole™ Surround Speakers are 6 Ohms Nominal Impedance. H x W x D: 7-3/8 x 6 x 6 16 lb. Click HERE for more K4 info.
    (1) KX12SF Subwoofer is a true 150 Watts into our NEWEST SF SuperFast 12" driver. Magnetically Shielded.

im only in a 4m square ish room, will it do or would I be better buying some pro monitors and adding center/surrounds to it bit by bit. Im sure i'd have no trouble selling the stuff if I felt underwelmed but what course is best in this instance? Its got the k4s so they would stay, how bad/goods the sub, im sure its not as bad as some make out is it? k7's?

works out to about £635 I think before importing.

thanks for any help, I change my speakers like poeple change cars lol it must end!

25. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    They are excellent speakers but need to be driven by some decent amplification to get the best out of them. They should significantly outperform the Xenons

26. recruit

recruit

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Definitly Ian :)

27. j0hn

j0hn
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    gee come to AV forums the place to ask a question and have the experts ignore you. HA good promotion :smashin:

28. Joe Fernand

Joe Fernand
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,480
    Hello all

mrapbp - a single S150 has a UK SRP of 875.00 GBP vs. a single Xenon LCR25 with a UK SRP of 299.00 GBP.

With the Xenon you don't achieve the performance of the S150 - which some would argue is 'the' M&K speaker/sound as its the one they are best know for and have built their reputation on.

The only draw back of a S/H S150 array is the requirement to ensure you have a decent system in front of them - not cheap.

j0hn - think in terms of the Room, the Layout, the Source, the Amplification and the Loudspeakers; you need to get all of them correct if you want a top notch sound; a 'great' Loudspeaker alone cannot make a system.

Best regards

Joe

29. j0hn

j0hn
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +72
    Thanks Joe. I have a rotel 1068, im adding power amps when I decide what ones. Im just curious now to what M&K to get, the whole K3 package or 3 is it MPS-1510 or do I need a different center? and add the rest later, I have friends in the states so its pretty easy to do but the K3 package sounds to me pretty good value. Im just clueless :hiya:

30. Ian J

Ian J
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,906
    You could start your own thread instead of hijacking this one :)