• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

Personal FV+HDPVR Chart - Philips vs DigitalStream vs SagemCom vs Fetch (3View?)

petrev

Hi

My personal chart to help me remember how thay are all performing so far . . .

DigitalStream DHR8205U
Philips HDT 8520
SagemCom RTI90-320 T2
FetchTV 8320
3View to be added . . .

xlshdpvrcomparison12.gif

There may well be errors (factual or otherwise) ! ! !
Observations are my personal ones !
Feature List is not exhaustive !
Remote repeat speed for FetchTV just fixed by USB Update.
I will update as and when . . . :facepalm:

Cheers
Pete

EDIT 3 : 01/07/2010 DS New Firmware released - bug fix and added DD5.1 Surround Via SPDIF + other enhancements
EDIT 4 : End of August DS scheduled for 2nd Update Firmware with minor bug fixes and enhanced usability/feature.
EDIT 5 : Sagemcom Update 2.2.0 fixes Audio - Drop Outs and may fix Low Digital Audio Level ?
- BUT Still No Transcoding to DD5.1

RE: DHR8205U - Transcoding HE-AAC 5.1 to DolbyDigital 5.1
Dear Pete,

We have had a response from our H.Q regarding the DD 5.1 issues you have submitted.

Our H.Q engineer is saying that a consideration for the availability of this functionality is being discussed but the date is not set up yet.

It may take for a while due to our H.Q engineers are trying to resolve other issues.

Thanks for your patient and feedback.

Kind regards,
JD

MIT LOGO 2-1

MIT LONDON LTD
Unit 1, Kingston Business Centre,
Fullers Way South, Chessington KT9 1DQ
Tel. 0844 880 6789 / Fax. 0208 397 4497
E-mail. [email protected]
Homepage. MIT London Ltd.
EDIT2: FetchTV Major failure during record 2 channels - BUGs ! ! !

Last edited:

brookheather

Distinguished Member
Where is HD PQ? Personally I found the Philips to be better than the Fetch for both SD and HD - I would rate the Philips as a 10 and the Fetch as an 8. The difference for me was when I was watching Freeview HD on the Philips I continued to be wowed by the picture. When I moved to the FetchTV I thought the HD picture was fine but it didn't "wow" me like the Philips.

- Simon.

petrev

Where is HD PQ? Personally I found the Philips to be better than the Fetch for both SD and HD - I would rate the Philips as a 10 and the Fetch as an 8. The difference for me was when I was watching Freeview HD on the Philips I continued to be wowed by the picture. When I moved to the FetchTV I thought the HD picture was fine but it didn't "wow" me like the Philips.

- Simon.

Hi

All the boxes are the same to me direct comparisons - Sony KDL-40HX703 HDMI set to Full Pixel all picture settings the same.

Pete

PhilipL

Hi

- Simon.

Maybe you had just gotten used to HD?

Regards

Phil

petrev

EDIT2: FetchTV Major failure during record 2 channels ! ! !

I have not found any of the current boxes to be fully reliable and/or deliver correct functionality.

DigitalStream : Bug-Fix 30 June 2010 apparently.
Philips : Bug-Fix Late July ?
Sagemcom : ? Over-Air Only ?
FetchTV : All the time - but I keep getting crashes . . .

If the DigitalStream had 5.1 (and I didn't use it for SD or 4:3) . . .

If the Philips has all Bugs fixed and audio level corrected . . . and normally expected PVR controls ! ! ! (presume it gets 5.1 ?)

If SagemCom lost the Digital Audio noise (Ticks and Clicks) and audio level corrected and got 5.1 and had faster menu response (remote control response generally)

If the FetchTV just didn't crash so often (and got 5.1)

IF . . .

Ah Well

petrev

EDIT: Update from MIT via e-mail

RE: DHR8205U - Transcoding HE-AAC 5.1 to DolbyDigital 5.1
Dear Pete,

We have had a response from our H.Q regarding the DD 5.1 issues you have submitted.

Our H.Q engineer is saying that a consideration for the availability of this functionality is being discussed but the date is not set up yet.

It may take for a while due to our H.Q engineers are trying to resolve other issues.

Thanks for your patient and feedback.

Kind regards,
JD

MIT LOGO 2-1

MIT LONDON LTD
Unit 1, Kingston Business Centre,
Fullers Way South, Chessington KT9 1DQ
Tel. 0844 880 6789 / Fax. 0208 397 4497
E-mail. [email protected]
Homepage. MIT London Ltd.

Darth_terra

Distinguished Member
It's getting a little tougher to pick now.

the Sagemcom is getting a OTA update tomorrow ( they are also looking to add updates via their website but not yet) all they are saying is it will fix stability, and the personal folders will be enabled.

not sure if the low audio etc comes under stability but will have to see what the update brings tomorrow, Sagemcom are also reading and posting on the digital spy forums so if you want to give them feed back etc you can do so there or via their email [email protected]

Fetch will have another update out by the end of the week to fix current issues that's 3 in one week compare that to any other company like Humax who's update came out today to fix their SD PVR's nine months later ( reason why i'm avoiding their HD models) and you can see fetch mean business, will have to see how the update does if it fixes the problems and they continue to provide support at this kind of level then it will be a real contender, just have to wait for stock to come back in.

Philips on the other hand well nothing new from them still quiet on what the updates will bring, somtime early july is looking pretty far off when you have the above two bringing updates / fixes already, I really did like the philips when it worked but i don't know if i want to hold on that long until their update arrives.

3view with it not coming until end of july that is some time to wait, yeah early pre-production tests look very promising but the fetch seems to be offering most of what the 3view will have now and with the support fetch seem to be bringing who knows what it will do by the time the 3view is released not to mention it costing nearly £100 less.

i got my refund from the philips today so £300 is in my account ready for a Freeview HD PVR the question is which one to go for, at the moment i'm really not sure.

petrev

Hi Darth T

Really difficult to choose like you say - My Sagemcom has it's 7Day birthday on Monday so if the OTA doesn't fix everything and they don't get back to me about the 5.1DD then RMA. The Fetch gets a bit longer as Tesco have 28day period but the stability must get much better and still no reply on 5.1 either ! ! !

Like you said the 3View is getting good reports from it's 2 person userbase but the production model will be slightly different (ext. power brick, rest unknown ?) though they have said it will have 5.1DD (YIPPEE) so we shall see when it finally arrives.

Cheers
Pete

cedge

The Humax box coming in July seems to be missing of the list, it must now be a contender now that 3View has been delayed? Although it's price £350 could be a stumbling block which the may need to revise especially if FetchTV get their act together.

petrev

The Humax box coming in July seems to be missing of the list, it must now be a contender now that 3View has been delayed? Although it's price £350 could be a stumbling block which the may need to revise especially if FetchTV get their act together.

Hi

Sure it will be contender - This is just my personal chart directly from my experiences - The 3View is there as I am on the list for one and should fill in the column when I get it ? ? ?

There are others too (Toshiba, Samsung, Panasonic . . .) but I haven't bought them either . . .

Cheers
Pete

The latest video from AVForums

Fidelity in Motion's David Mackenzie talks about his work on disc encoding & the future of Blu-ray
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom