Personal finance/account managers?

Discussion in 'Apple Forum' started by Empgamer, Sep 6, 2007.

1. Empgamer

Empgamer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    I've gone through the various app threads and, rather than making a coment in them (which given their generic nature will likely be missed), I'd like to ask if anyone has come across a decent personal (as opposed to mega-complicated business) finance manager? They seem a little thin on the ground, or at least decent ones do.

I am STILL using a 14 year old Psion 3 with Psion Money on it (that's how basic it can be) but it does the job fine for me. It's perhaps realistic to expect that it won't last forever though. I've had PCs here for years too but could never be bothered to switch to Money and, as I may be working overseas for a while, I need a more mobile option, my laptop now being a Mac.

So far I have looked briefly at iBank and Moneydance and they seem to be about the best of the bunch but, judging from the forums, the latter does seem to be beset with problems (but I suppose if you go by forums, everything is). I've also seen reference to an app called Economix but can't find any links or whatever to it at all (perhaps not a god sign). There are also a boat load of apps listed at Version Tracker but it's a little disturbing that even the 5 star rated apps seem plagued with download and other problems. Again, not a good sign.

Not overly encouraging at the moment and in fairness all I want is a fairlly basic programme that will allow for multiple accounts (including investments), a good range of user defined categories, the ability to enter direct debits etc, reporting, forecasting and budgeting and the ability to close the accounts off at the end of the financial year, copying the current balances to the new year.

Given the sales that Apple has achieved with Macs, particularly in the US, it seems odd that a decent personal finance programme is lacking. From what I've seen so far, If it were not for going overseas and the portability issue, I'd likely even install Money on the PC I have here and use that.

2. Empgamer

Empgamer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    No-one any views or experiences with such programmes?

3. jont

jont

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +577
  4. Empgamer

Empgamer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Quicken's the one I planned to go for but I BELIEVE Intuit has binned either Mac support for it either just in the UK or World wide. It seems to have upset the customer base a lot. Understandably IMHO. Finidng another is proving harder than I thought it would be :(

5. airline1

airline1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
  6. halyousif

halyousif
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Try Money2 or MoneyWell. They both look good and quite cheap (around £20 each)!

7. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16,235
    For my business I use MYOB (Mind Your Own Business)....No reason really why you can't use it for personal accounts, although you wouldn't be interested in all the VAT, Payroll and Corporation Tax stuff. They do a basic version as well which is quite cheap and a demo can be downloaded from their website.....

But then again, any of this is quickly setup in a spreadsheet as well. Especially in Office 2008 from what I have seen in the previews...Excel 2008 is getting a special ledger function which makes all of this lemon squeezey..

8. Bl4ckGryph0n

Bl4ckGryph0n
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16,235
    Oh and I forgot to mention then there is also Accountz......Both in personal and business editions, but I have never used them before....

Quicken has just withdrawn from the personal market in the UK, although it is still readily available if you know where to look if you get my drift :)

9. stewartbradford

stewartbradford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
  10. Empgamer

Empgamer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks for replies. I'm looking at Moneydance for now. Has a nice interface, does all what I want so far and seems to have a good customer support via both e-mails and forums. I'll see how it goes for a week or so.

11. Xeneye

Xeneye
    Previously MacGeekPaul

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +276
  12. Empgamer

Empgamer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    While Moneydance is good in many respects there are some things about it I'm not keen on. I really don't like the new transaction entry interface and a particular gripe is that if you have a number of standing orders and direct debits entered, you can't can't just go to one page to view them. In addition, when you delete them, it leaves the repeat transactions behind which have to be deleted from a reminders page. It would be nice to find one that has a place to set up and view standing orders etc which is separate from the account page itself.

I'll have a look at some of the others listed here.

13. Empgamer

Empgamer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10
    Thanks for that link Gooner. Tried Checkbook this morning. Liked it a lot. Entered all my account info and outstanding transactions and it's now in use. Like you say, nice and simple but does the job.