1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Personal experience from Sanyo Z3 and Pana 700 owners PLEASE!!!!!

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by indyjones, Mar 5, 2005.

1. indyjones

indyjones
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    HI! I'm new here, but I've been collecting info on PJs for a quite some time now. This forum is full of good information, and I've got a few questions of my own, since I'm close to buying a beamer of my own.

I've sort of narrowed my choice down to a few PJs, and I'd like some personal experience from owner's or experts to make my decision a little easier.

I'll probably buy either a Sanyo Z3, Panasonic ae700, or, if the price goes down, the Sony HS50 or the Sharp Z2000 DLP. From what I've heard, the Pana 700 has some problems with a clean image (VB and so on), so I'm kind of leaning towards the Z3. The Z3 has less luminosity and contrast, but I guess in a dark room, it's not going to make a difference.
    How's the screen door effect on the Sony? It's got different LCD panels. How about RBE on the Sharp? I've only seen the Pana personally, since my local shop didn't have any others at the time. It looked very good, but I couldn't compare it to anything else. I will look at all PJs before I buy one, but I'd like some of your input before I make my final decision.

Thanks in advance!!!!!!
    Cheers, Indy :)

PS: Is there a new Hitachi coming this year? The TX 100 is already a year old.

2. Bristol Pete

Bristol Pete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +309
    Personally, I did not see any rainbows on the Sharp when extensively demoed.

A great picture, short throw, great price HD2+ chip as well.

Cap.

3. sainthalo

sainthalo
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Delighted with my Sanyo Z3 over HDMI to a Media Center PC. Warranty service from Sanyo UK (Peter Cannon and Dick Flood) seems to be very professional as does their appointed service agent GM-Services.

4. CooperUK

CooperUK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +295
    Panny 700 has very flexible throw distances - I'm on an 8' screen from about 20' away.

Make sure you get one with 1.07 firmware if you go for the AE700, it makes a big difference to the levels of VB and sorts out any HDMI problems (apparently)

I am very pleased with mine :thumbsup:

5. jonny m

jonny m
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I have a z3 and love it, v. quiet. They differ in throw distance, check out both via projector central to get your ideal position/ screen size.

The z3 has a great lens shift. And the scaler if first rate if used with component anyway - havn't tried the rest.

6. explicitlyrics

explicitlyrics

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +17
    To be honest, whichever you go with you will love it. if it is your first projector you will be happy whatever you decide on. I love my AE700 and wouldnt really say a bad word against it, when I upgrade that may change but for the moment im still over the moon every time I watch something on the projector.

7. zAndy1

zAndy1
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8,167
    The Z3 has better lens shift and is quieter. The picture with my HTPC is fantastic, no VB at all. I'm very happy with the Z3 (and I did have the AE700 before it so am in a good position to comment)

Cheers
    Andy

8. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +85

I have had two Z3s and there is vertical banding, but it is very slight. I only say this with conviction as both projectors had the exact same level of vertical banding. One of the two things that drive me mad on LCDs is VB, so if it doesn't bother me on the Z3, it probably would not bother most others bar the very critical/particular.

It's very quiet, I only hear it very late when the house is completely silent, there is no traffic outside and during an absolutely silent scene (can't even be heard over quiet dialog)

Contrast is very good (for LCD) and picture detail is stunning from a PC via HDMI. The difference between this and component from a PS DVD player is night and day. I was very disappointed with the pq when I first switched it on using the DVD player.

The 3 year warranty must also be taken into accout for peace of mind.

9. PJTX100

PJTX100

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +564
    I'm sure there will be a new Hitachi at some point, but I'd guess no more or less imminent than a Z4 or an AE800.

In "head to heads" with its peers it seems to hold its own very well despite often being cheaper. Hence Hitachi may not feel inclined to pitch in with an improved model just yet.

I can't understand why there are so many comments about the TX100 being "a year old", "previous generation" etc etc.

I've been reading such comments since Nov '04, it hit the streets around May/June '04 from what I can see...PJ