1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Permanent Plasma Screenburn

Discussion in 'Plasma TVs Forum' started by Warpaint, Aug 30, 2005.

1. Warpaint

Warpaint

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +61
    Apart from the plasma displays often seen in bus stations, airports etc. has anyone experienced permanent screenburn on their plasma display, and if so how did they do it?
    There's a lot of talk about this but I haven't seen a single domestically used plasma display with permanent screenburn.
    Is this phenomenon wildly exagerrated?
    Perhaps somenone like Gordon or Maw could offer their experience?

2. Badger0-0

Badger0-0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    Not mega experienced ,but absolutely no hint at all on my H 7200.
    I would have no qualms about leaving it on, going for a session down the pub and having Sky lock up, personally.

Although there has been a couple of examples, recently :thumbsdow

There is lots of discussion to read though in the forum.

A search will help :smashin:

3. MAW

MAW
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +411
    I've seen screenburn 3 times on domestic plasma. Twice on an LG, a PX3 and a PX11, once on a Hitachi, a PMA400. I was scared silly over a demo NEC once, it showed image retention after 10 minutes, it was the screen setup menu...!!! Bearing in mind I might now have seen 1000 domestic plasmas, I am convinced it's wildly exadgerated, and limited to a few brands, and on one of those, badger, it might easily be history. The latest Hitachis seem much tougher, except for the one in my local Comet, and that may not be fair. In fact you rarely see screenburn even in a commercial setting, beyond the obvious ones like stations. If you let your kids watch boomerang for more than a couple of hours you deserve sceenburn, and likewise playing a console game without a break. Being aware of the possibility from these type of actions, and what to do about it, ie change channels, watch something different, is sufficient. Note that turning it off is not always best.

4. stanleyntl

stanleyntl

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Like the 7200/7500 models? What about SKY viewing with those infernal logos and/or red spot? :mad:
    My Hitachi 7500 has a luminance manager, screen wiping/saving, and panel life extend modes - any opinion on these MAW? :confused:

And what about the black film bars on DVD, won't this result in uneven phosphor wear? :confused:

5. johndon

johndon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +108
    I've had a Hitachi plasmas (3000 & 5300) for over two years now with the same basic panel as the 7xxx series and have no screen burn at all. This is despite all my TV viewing being done via Sky & all movies watched in the correct aspect ratio.

Besides, on Sky, most channel logos and the red dot disappear when the adverts come on and, even on those that don't like the BBC channels it's unlikely you're going to be watching the same channel all the time.

John

6. cjm

cjm

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    My new Panny Plasma 42"PV500B is great but have been concerned about all the "screen burn" disclaimers in the Operating Manual.

While it's not exactly HiFi I wanted to also play CDs using my linked Panny DMR-EH50 HDD. It does this fine but of course the Plasma TV/Speakers have to be switched on and in that case the DVD screen logo comes up and stays put. The Panasonic screen saver does not cut in and therefore the logo could be static on the screen for considerable periods. There seems no way around this. Any ideas anyone?

I have turned the contrast and brightness down to zero and presumably this will help significantly but is not a cure and its a pain to have to do this everytime you want to switch from viewing to listening.

Yours hopefully.

7. Not A Clue

Not A Clue

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    So are you saying screenburn is likely to happen if you watch the same 'logo' channel for a couple of hours - for example I would watch sky sports for 3-4hrs if there is back-to-back footy on?

I also thought screenburn was cumulative as it is just uneven use of the screen ???? - i.e. watching sky sports for 4hrs in one day would affect the plasma just as much as watching sky sports for 1hr over four days ?

8. Lionheart

Lionheart

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I know what u mean cjm....I would like to listen to radio via my tv for long periods from my telewest box and even though the screen goes completely dark on the radio channels I just dont trust it...wish there were preouts from the box itself

9. clarky78

clarky78

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +38
    I have a 7200, and though i get image retenetion after only a few minutes, it's gone within seconds after a change of channel or screen etc. I have watch LOTR ROTK which has black bars for 4 hour (both discs back to back) and though you can see the difference when you look at a full image thats dark, its gone in a few seconds still.

It's amasing how noticable the retention is in the dark, try turning the lights of and then turning the screen off, whatever was last on the screen stays there like a ghost, spooky!

10. Badger0-0

Badger0-0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    I'd say highly unlikely, but slightly possible.
    If you watch SS, you will get AD breaks, which will rest the screen.

The problem comes from watching a constant image, ie not changing for hours ,that causes the problem.

Well, that's my understanding of the subject :confused:

11. Badger0-0

Badger0-0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    Don't do that mate, you'll scare people who are really worried about it :thumbsdow

Quite funny though :smashin:

12. mwebb

mwebb
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Presuming that this is a serious post, you get the same thing with a CRT TV (as it's an effect of the phosphors 'cooling down').

13. bishman

bishman

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +172
    If it's not a serious post, then does that mean that it doesn't happen on CRT? ;)

Seriously though, you are right, it does also happen on CRT.

14. Badger0-0

Badger0-0

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,921
    Just to clarify,for scaredy cats.

I think you'll find he was referring to the effect you get when you stare at two
    black heads on a white background for a while, then have them removed and they show a vase, or vice-versa.

HTH :rolleyes:

Stop worrying , in other words :) :smashin: