Perish the thought

u8myufo

Established Member
Reaction score
Well the time is drawing very near for me to order an Onkyo 818. However!! You know how these things is :laugh: I read in What Hi/Fi about seeing what contenders there might be in this price range. So does anybody have any news yet, or could it safely be assumed it wont happen for a while? Cheers for any advice.

News of what? Comparable quality recievers?
What about the Yamaha A810/1010 etc?

There are plenty of other amps at this price level, why do you assume only Onkyo make one?

hello rich long time no speak, hows the birding.

Well the time is drawing very near for me to order an Onkyo 818. However!! You know how these things is :laugh: I read in What Hi/Fi about seeing what contenders there might be in this price range. So does anybody have any news yet, or could it safely be assumed it wont happen for a while? Cheers for any advice.

The 818 is a very nice AVR that has lots of features.

£100 more will get you an Anthem MRX300. However, it does not have a feature list as long as the 818 has but is very potent for a receiver and has Anthem ARC room eq which is very good.

£100 less gets you a Pioneer 2022 that does Apple Airplay which the other two units do not do. (That is easily fixed by adding an Apple TV unit at £99).

Sound wise, all 3 receivers are good and it all depends on what type set up you have speaker wise as to which amp goes well with.

As always, trust your ears and get a demo on all 3 if you can.

There are plenty of other amps at this price level, why do you assume only Onkyo make one?

I did not assume only Onkyo made Amps. In What Hi/Fi`s review of the 818 they finish off by saying.

" Make no mistake the 818 is a very capable amp for the money, but the bar has not been raised to quite the same new heights as last year. Rival machines are waiting in the wings, so we`ll be interested to see how they stack up against the Onkyo in the coming weeks "

Hence my question does anybody know anything yet.

I did not assume only Onkyo made Amps. In What Hi/Fi`s review of the 818 they finish off by saying.

" Make no mistake the 818 is a very capable amp for the money, but the bar has not been raised to quite the same new heights as last year. Rival machines are waiting in the wings, so we`ll be interested to see how they stack up against the Onkyo in the coming weeks "

Hence my question does anybody know anything yet.

I wouldnt believe anything what hifi says....

make a shortlist
use your own ears and get a demo of the machines in question ...

Watcha M8, same as same as :laugh: Hope you are keeping well :smashin:
Hi rich, keeping good mate, not doing much birding, but will soon hopefully, you still got the 7d.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom