Periodically losing SKY HD signal to Panasonic Plasma

IJT

Standard Member
Hi All,

Panasonic 50" inch plasma, periodically (yet frequently) appears to lose connection to the SkyHD box.

If I turn-off the TV (either directly or through the remote) the picture returns. Sometimes when this occurs, the workaround resolution will work for several days and sometimes (like today) the problem re-occurs every 1-2 hours.

Having checked around there seems to be discussion about HDMI cables & pins, but I have tried several HDMI cables including a quite expensive gold shielded cable. Same problem occurs.

Other devices connected to the TV are: Wii & DvD player. Only SKY has HDMI connection.

Any thoughts to a permanent resolution would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ian

gbmitie

say the model of the tv, and which hdmi input socket are you using, its best to use hdmi 1 for sky.

gb--

logiciel

Do the other two HDMI sockets produce the same fault?

mcnixcapana

Novice Member
IJT said:
Hi All,

Panasonic 50" inch plasma, periodically (yet frequently) appears to lose connection to the SkyHD box.

If I turn-off the TV (either directly or through the remote) the picture returns. Sometimes when this occurs, the workaround resolution will work for several days and sometimes (like today) the problem re-occurs every 1-2 hours.

Having checked around there seems to be discussion about HDMI cables & pins, but I have tried several HDMI cables including a quite expensive gold shielded cable. Same problem occurs.

Other devices connected to the TV are: Wii & DvD player. Only SKY has HDMI connection.

Any thoughts to a permanent resolution would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Ian

Try turning on TV with Sky on. Manually select HDMI input you use and turn Tv into standby. Then use as normal - post back if this doesn't work. I'll get an alternate answer from the boffins tomorrow!

Sent from my iPhone using AVForums

IJT

Standard Member
Will try your suggestions, I haven't tried other HDMI ports because its not a case that SKY doesn't work - its just a period yet frequent issue.

KenjohnB

Novice Member
I am having the same problem - getting a message saying "No satellite signal being received". Switch off and on again, problem solved - until next time!
Only happened since buying a new TV last Friday (Panasonic TX-P42VT20B).
Am using one of the new HDMI cables designed for 3D.

Ken

mcnixcapana

Novice Member
KenjohnB said:
I am having the same problem - getting a message saying "No satellite signal being received". Switch off and on again, problem solved - until next time!
Only happened since buying a new TV last Friday (Panasonic TX-P42VT20B).
Am using one of the new HDMI cables designed for 3D.

Ken

Doesn't sound like the same problem at all. Alot of people associate a new TV and a problem with the sky box as being a problem with the TV. 9/10 it's Sky! In your case sounds like the f connectors might be loose. Make sure these are tight in - as well as checking the cables from the dish are themselves tight in the f connectors!

IJT

Standard Member
Nice to hear that I am not alone with similar issues but would be nice to hear a resolution

So much for quality assurance from these companies, there websites are poor as well - surely some configuration guidelines with regard to settings etc!!

logiciel

You have three HDMI sockets - there might be something wrong with ONE of them - try the others to be sure.

Ken - The Sky 3D channel doesn't need any special kind of HDMI cable.

Jaycee Dove

Novice Member
I am suddenly having similar issues with our Samsung HD box via a Panasonic TV. Have had both for 2 years. Now in the past 24 hours repeated No Signals and no HDMI connection.

Yet if you allow something to record it HAS recorded after you reboot the box and get the signal back.

So it is a phantom signal loss by the looks of it - but without the reboot it stops you from watching.

You can watch through a scart link but the box controls that way are very slow. But this shows there is a signal. So it is an HDMI issue of some sort.

Last edited:

IJT

Standard Member
Tried moving to a different Hdmi port and the same problem occurs!! My SkyHD box is a Thomson but I can't see anything setting wise on there

Must be a signalling issue but can't see any timers etc.

noiseboy72

Distinguished Member
Have you got Viera Link switched on ?

Is it possible that a spurious signal from the TV is confusing the box ?

Might be worth switiching it off and seeing if anything changes.

logiciel

It's time for nice new free receivers all round then!

It's time for nice new free receivers all round then!

I would agree in the case of the Thomson HD box but it may well be a case of software issues on others. There have been several reports of similar issues on various problems even with brand new boxes (one replaced 3 times and only "cured" in the end by swapping the TV for a different make). Similar problems occured a couple of years ago after a Sky firmware upgrade and was only cured by upgrades to TVs firmware.

logiciel

Yes, some Sky receivers can be temperamental with some TVs, but it's a good excuse for claiming a new one. ;)

IJT

Standard Member
So much for conforming to standards. HDMI seems very poor implementation all round - certainly disappointed with Panasonic for not having something on their Support website considering Sky is a common deployment in the UK. Similar story from all other vendors, all in all very poor support especially considering the cost of high quality TV sets.

mcnixcapana

Novice Member
IJT said:
So much for conforming to standards. HDMI seems very poor implementation all round - certainly disappointed with Panasonic for not having something on their Support website considering Sky is a common deployment in the UK. Similar story from all other vendors, all in all very poor support especially considering the cost of high quality TV sets.

Works both ways - what's the sky installer doing? From many experiences with sky I can't remember an installer who cared about what he was connecting up to. But there are some gooduns out there too.

The latest video from AVForums

Podcast: Q Acoustics Q3030i, Humax Aura, Roku Streambar & WandaVision Reviews and more...
Top Bottom