1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Perimeter

Discussion in 'PC Gaming & Rigs' started by Sinzer, Jun 1, 2004.

1. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    Been playing this over the weekend, awesome strategy game.

Seems very complicated at first but in reality it is simple to play yet difficult to master. Basically, this is RTS back to the old skool, simple base building and resource management, with very little troop micromanagement.

There seems to be a mix of everything in here, from Sim City, C&C and Total Annhilation. The new terraforming aspect is very well done and really makes it part of the key strategy, you need to extend your borders quickly but not at the expense of building your base up.

The troop formations are a bit of a let down the morphing is a bit of a gimmick, most of the larger morphs do not share units particuarly well and it is a waste of your unit limit to have a multitask group.

The game really revolves around protecting your energy grid and using smart techniques to capture others. I am currently about half way through, and some levels have been really difficult, it has started to ease up a little now as I get used to the controls more, but the learning curve is pretty good.

Pretty much have had to restart most levels to learn what the trick is for completing them. If you love RTS I definately recommend you get this game.

2. McBain

McBain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Have to agree - top game.

I agree about the units/morphing, but did you know that if you morph them back to basic units, you can right click on the unity type portraits to destory a unit (shift click to destroy 10 units). This, coupled with the short build times should allow you to use units more efficiently.

McBain

3. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    its cool but im stuck already, and i have no idear what im supposed to do.

its the level where yo first get to control digger units, and you have to stop your enemy from teleporting his frame of the world.

i can get the diggers under his frame but my base gets destroyed in no time. have built extra canons that fire underground, but i still get my ass kicked as i spend too long defending and not enough attacking,

Any hints/tips?

4. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    That level is fairly tough.

My tip is to build at least 5 subchaser guns at the start, make sure they are spread apart around the base so they keep firing.

At the same time terraform towards the other sides base this means you can slowly extend your subchasers towards the other base to keep destroyin the pesky miners.

While you are doin this order enough units to make about 13-15 of the miners that destroy bases. Send these over to the base asap, once they have made the enemy frame disengage, send them to the far corner of the enemy base out of range of sub chasers, when the enemy repairs the ground send your diggers back in. If your diggers have taken a lot of damage then bring them out of the base so you can restock with units.

Also upgrade all your labs and build an antigrav lab, then make another unit and create 10 gyroids. Use the gyroids to protect the base against the wargon tank units they send overland.

Remember you can power up your shields on seperate towers, highlight a tower and press tab, when the wargons approach generate your shield on the tower and they will disengage and trundle off. This can give you a lot of time to take them out with taking no damage.

Also keep a brigadier near your frame, your priority in the level is to keep your frame installed as long as poss and keep disturbing the other frame.

5. McBain

McBain

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Have to agree that was a tough one. However, I'm currently on MOUNTIME (18 or 19) I think. Shag a monkey thats hard. Finally managed to get a foothold and have destroyed the western enemy expansion - but its pretty much stalemate at the minute. Managed to capture the enemies empire lab, so I can send those annoying underground torpedos at him (and he cant send any back!). Great game.

6. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849
    I don't really get what you're supposed to do in this game as yet.

I'm on the tutorial mission where you have got to save the energy banks.

Those little troop things you have to control are a real hassle, and I don't know how to do a rally point yet.

About a million miles off 'Rise Of Nations' as best RTS IMO

7. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    I find Rise of Nations fairly dull TBH.

The thing with this game is that it is mainly base management not troop management.

You don't set rally points, when you order troops to be be built they will go to where their command group is. Simply select the command group and right click where you want it to sit. Use Z,X and C to order troops in multiples of 10, once you have enough troops you morph them into a unit.

I never select troops by clicking on the map/level, always by the command icon. Double Click on them will center you on them.

Took me ages to sort this game out on the demo, I too thought it was a bit pants. After you get to grips with the controls you will realise what a breath of fresh air this RTS is.

8. gandley

gandley

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +269
    Thanks for the tips there sinzer, getting much closer to beating this map now. :thumbsup:

9. Miyazaki

Miyazaki

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +849

10. Sinzer

Sinzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,108
    I have played the demo, and I think it is a very good game, just not my cup of tea, I am not sure that I can keep up with the pace of it :) I didn't really like AOE either, but I enjoy more basic RTS like Warcraft 3/Starcraft/C&C. I also love turn based strategy.

It is a bit annoying having your troops fly over water to reinforce and being blown up, but it does mean that you have to think about when to reinforce.