Pergola

they shouldn't do as they are colored all the way through , as for buying them from B&Q , you will be able to get them for about half that price from your local builders merchants , and don't worry about not being in the trade , they will quite happily sell to you :smashin:

Thanks, they are going to be laid in a shady area so I was concerned over moss/algae. I am the middle of building a pergola and the only place I could build it was shaded from noon until 6.00ish, so I thought I would choose a lighter colour paver.

Thanks, they are going to be laid in a shady area so I was concerned over moss/algae. I am the middle of building a pergola and the only place I could build it was shaded from noon until 6.00ish, so I thought I would choose a lighter colour paver.

Easy to take care of that with an algae/moss cleaner, or even better, a jet wash.

i have buff slabs and yes they do fade and and stain. putting the sealer on it would stop this but they are perminantly a darker color the same color as if they are wet

Heres my buff bradstone textured slabs, +1 for building merchants as significantly cheaper than b&q.

Been down for a good few years now and a quick jetwash sorts them out a treat. Repointing just now so excuse the gappy bits and the wet bits.. thats just the rain.

Last edited:
Thanks, they look good and being in Scotland should be a good weather test :). It's a toss up between paving and my wife's choice - decking.

Here are some photos of the area. 1st one taken at the start, I've still got a lot to do especially on the window wall.

image-376288490.jpg

image-4275629061.jpg

I've had decking in two properties now. Much prefer slabs.

I've had dark paving slabs before but never had decking, the pergola is tanalised wood and finished with decking oil so I thought if I had deck boards I could match the finish.

Last edited:
I should have titled this thread paving, decking and pergola. I wanted a bit of advice to whether I should screw decking frame to the pergola post or leave it floating ?

image-3097890141.jpg

Last edited:
Wouldn't do any harm, but the whole unit will be so heavy its not like it will move

Are you putting a polycarbonate roof on there?

I don't know yet, it would be warmer. I might enclose the sides but do you think it would look ok with a polycarbonate roof?.

It would have to be clear polycarbonate. Something like this:-

http://www.southwicks.co.uk/pergola-garden-gazebo.html

I looked into doing something myself with a pergola but as mine would be going at the back end of my garden I decided the roof wouldn't look great from the neighbours perspective, which is why I'm building a timber gazebo with either cedar shingles or featheredge.

Yes, we couldn't have a solid roof as it would block the light into the kitchen but I would love one.

To be honest, I've been scratching my head over this for a month.

I'd like a Pergola with a clear polycarbonate roof but can't find any info on how to join the sheets so that at a distance the sheets look seamless. Every time I look into it, I lean more towards a Gazebo but I'm worried about the height, i don't want to build a monstrosity in my garden. Pergolas have the advantage as they are flat roofed.

I've considered everything but I have rejected a summer house as it's too closed in. I want something I can pop my BBQ under and even chiminea.

Something like this but with a smaller pitch and not as high in general:-

Home - shire oak

Looks nice. Here's another idea with more roof struts you could hide polycarbonate joints

image-3172372068.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom