Pergola

paulyoung666

Distinguished Member
they shouldn't do as they are colored all the way through , as for buying them from B&Q , you will be able to get them for about half that price from your local builders merchants , and don't worry about not being in the trade , they will quite happily sell to you :smashin:

jonna

Distinguished Member
Thanks, they are going to be laid in a shady area so I was concerned over moss/algae. I am the middle of building a pergola and the only place I could build it was shaded from noon until 6.00ish, so I thought I would choose a lighter colour paver.

aVdub

Banned
Thanks, they are going to be laid in a shady area so I was concerned over moss/algae. I am the middle of building a pergola and the only place I could build it was shaded from noon until 6.00ish, so I thought I would choose a lighter colour paver.

Easy to take care of that with an algae/moss cleaner, or even better, a jet wash.

shoemaker666

Distinguished Member
i have buff slabs and yes they do fade and and stain. putting the sealer on it would stop this but they are perminantly a darker color the same color as if they are wet

liveforav

Heres my buff bradstone textured slabs, +1 for building merchants as significantly cheaper than b&q.

Been down for a good few years now and a quick jetwash sorts them out a treat. Repointing just now so excuse the gappy bits and the wet bits.. thats just the rain.

Last edited:

jonna

Distinguished Member
Thanks, they look good and being in Scotland should be a good weather test :). It's a toss up between paving and my wife's choice - decking.

jonna

Distinguished Member
Here are some photos of the area. 1st one taken at the start, I've still got a lot to do especially on the window wall.

image-376288490.jpg

image-4275629061.jpg

jonna

Distinguished Member
I've had dark paving slabs before but never had decking, the pergola is tanalised wood and finished with decking oil so I thought if I had deck boards I could match the finish.

Last edited:

jonna

Distinguished Member
I should have titled this thread paving, decking and pergola. I wanted a bit of advice to whether I should screw decking frame to the pergola post or leave it floating ?

image-3097890141.jpg

Last edited:

John

Wouldn't do any harm, but the whole unit will be so heavy its not like it will move

jonna

Distinguished Member
I don't know yet, it would be warmer. I might enclose the sides but do you think it would look ok with a polycarbonate roof?.

Wahreo

Distinguished Member
It would have to be clear polycarbonate. Something like this:-

http://www.southwicks.co.uk/pergola-garden-gazebo.html

I looked into doing something myself with a pergola but as mine would be going at the back end of my garden I decided the roof wouldn't look great from the neighbours perspective, which is why I'm building a timber gazebo with either cedar shingles or featheredge.

jonna

Distinguished Member
Yes, we couldn't have a solid roof as it would block the light into the kitchen but I would love one.

Wahreo

Distinguished Member
To be honest, I've been scratching my head over this for a month.

I'd like a Pergola with a clear polycarbonate roof but can't find any info on how to join the sheets so that at a distance the sheets look seamless. Every time I look into it, I lean more towards a Gazebo but I'm worried about the height, i don't want to build a monstrosity in my garden. Pergolas have the advantage as they are flat roofed.

Wahreo

Distinguished Member
I've considered everything but I have rejected a summer house as it's too closed in. I want something I can pop my BBQ under and even chiminea.

Something like this but with a smaller pitch and not as high in general:-

Home - shire oak

jonna

Distinguished Member
Looks nice. Here's another idea with more roof struts you could hide polycarbonate joints

image-3172372068.jpg

The latest video from AVForums

Star Wars Andor, Woman King, more Star Trek 4K, Rings of Power & the latest TV, movies & 4K releases
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Latest News

HiFi Rose announces all-in-one RS520 audio streamer
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
LG Display set to launch its own 27 and 32-inch OLED panels in 2023?
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
What's new on Netflix (UK) for October 2022
  • By Ian Collen
  • Published
Starzplay streaming service rebrands as Lionsgate+
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published
JVC adds Filmmaker Mode to latest D-ILA projector firmware
  • By Andy Bassett
  • Published

Full fat HDMI teeshirts