Performance Review - Setting Goals

Dancook

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So yesterday I had my performance review, it's not linked to pay rises etc..

I am 'efficient', 'effective' and 'beneficial' to the company. But the development manager is also disappointed I don't push myself.

I can't really push myself in my current day to day work, it is not difficult for me.

I need to think about setting myself goals, and the onus is on me to achieve them.

I am a difficult individual to motivate...

I considered finding a job advert, noting down the requirements and making sure I achieve them - seems like the most logical thing to do, as it might set me up for a move.

Does anyone else have goals that they can share? perhaps it will inspire me.

What do you aspire to do? Where do you see yourself in two/three/four years? What do you need to do to get there? Are you in a leadership role? If not, can you look to take informal/unoficial leads on projects? Become recognised as an authority in techincal areas (what do you do? :p) Complete all projects ahead of schedule? Plan further ahead with work than the average joe - not just completing tasks but looking at how they will work in whatever going forward? What are good stragies for the team/department?

Dunno -that's the sort of thing I set myself :) Edit> Until I decided I hated this sort of thing and became a contractor. Now my only goal is to become filthy rich :devil:

Last edited:
i hate these things, i always struggle with goal setting and haven't achieved any of mine. Not my fault, they were all things like learn photoshop and learn autoCAD, but it was agreed i'd do training courses for them, 2 year slater of the same goals set and i have learn how to draw a box in cad and paint squares in photoshop, so a little progress has been made and it's prompted some people to start thinking "oh he isn't stupid", so i'm hopeful next year i'll learn something

You've lost me :confused:

Try harder to connect to work when forced to dial in from home :devil:

Just thought I'd comment that the performance review is about the setting of goals to personal achieve things - not pay rises :)

But I suppose I should find out what I need to do to get a pay rise then achieve that :)

During the snow I drove in when no one else did! :) Dedicated - to work from the office.

So yesterday I had my performance review, it's not linked to pay rises etc..

I am 'efficient', 'effective' and 'beneficial' to the company. But the development manager is also disappointed I don't push myself.

I can't really push myself in my current day to day work, it is not difficult for me.

I need to think about setting myself goals, and the onus is on me to achieve them.

Ah the performance management ********.

Yet another way for managers to get other people to do their jobs for them. :suicide:

What do you aspire to do? Where do you see yourself in two/three/four years? What do you need to do to get there? Are you in a leadership role? If not, can you look to take informal/unoficial leads on projects? Become recognised as an authority in techincal areas (what do you do? :p) Complete all projects ahead of schedule? Plan further ahead with work than the average joe - not just completing tasks but looking at how they will work in whatever going forward? What are good stragies for the team/department?

Dunno -that's the sort of thing I set myself :) Edit> Until I decided I hated this sort of thing and became a contractor. Now my only goal is to become filthy rich :devil:

I think we were seperated at birth.

What do you aspire to do? Where do you see yourself in two/three/four years? What do you need to do to get there?

Are you in a leadership role? If not, can you look to take informal/unoficial leads on projects? Become recognised as an authority in techincal areas (what do you do? :p) Complete all projects ahead of schedule? Plan further ahead with work than the average joe - not just completing tasks but looking at how they will work in whatever going forward? What are good stragies for the team/department?

I do freelance work, I suppose a long term goal would be to be completely freelance!

I suppose money is my motivation, but I have no clear indication of how to get more! :) I will follow this up though.

Lately all my projects have been dumped on me last moment, with very short deadlines - which I still meet. There isn't any room for getting them completed faster.

It'd be nice if there were a team of people doing what I do here, so I can learn from them, even compete and improve myself that way. However I am the only developer of my type and skillset in the company.

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom