Performance enclosures for Polk in-wall and in-ceiling speakers

boco

Novice Member
Hi,

I currently have a set of 4 Polk 265-LS and 1 Polk 255c-LS in-wall speakers in a 5.1 setup. They are great, but I am doing a rebuild/renovation and will be re-using them in a 7.1.4 atmos setup. I will be getting 2 more 265-LS speakers and 4 700-LS in-ceiling speakers.

My existing speakers were installed directly into the existing wall cavity by cutting through the plasterboard (dry-wall). This has worked fine and I have been happy with the sound.

In researching my new system I have come across people installing back-boxes behind in-wall speakers like mine when they are doing a new build. It makes sense to me that this would give better sound. It looks like it would also solve the problem I had with drafts coming through the bass ports of the 265-LS speakers!

It seems like Polk used to manufacture these boxes themselves but they have discontinued them. I found a link to an old product page here (Polk Audio Performance Enclosure Compatible with select Polk in-wall speakers at Crutchfield). It sounds like some people just build these themselves and that is what I hope to do (or at least get my builder to do).

I can build a basic box out of MDF or plywood using the dimensions shown here for the 265-LS speakers. I have a few questions though.

• From reading around similar threads to this I have learned that I need to allow an internal volume of ~ 1.2 cu ft. Is that correct?
  • The Polk enclosure shows a series of wooden inserts. What do these do? Are they necessary?
  • What are the strips of black tape like material in the enclosure? What do they do? Are they necessary?
  • Why is there a square of insulation material in the bottom corner? Is this necessary?
  • Are there similar enclosure designs that exist for the 255c-LS or 700-LS speakers? If not, what size cavity should I aim for with these speakers?

Thank you for any input that you can provide.

The latest video from AVForums

LG C1 OLED TV Best Picture Settings for SDR, HDR and Dolby Vision
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom