1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Perforated Screen surface?

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by DAKS, Sep 28, 2002.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DAKS

DAKS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    (Watch out there's a newbie about!!)

I am looking to build my own screen and about to order the surface material from Harkness Hall. (Perlux 140). I notice they advertise there surfaces as being available in perforated and NON perforated material. What would be my best choice?

I will be projecting from a Barco 801s onto a 100" inch diagonal.

Also, is it possible to just mount the aforementioned material onto a slab of MDF or should I stretch the material over a frame?

Any advice much appreciated.

DAKS.

(Thanks Meedja for your helpful web site!)

2. Jeff

Jeff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +256
    Perforated allows you to stick speakers behind it, but in this configuration both video and audio are compromised. Its best to avoid perforated screens if at all possible.

3. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    As Jeff said, perforated screen material allows you to put the centre and possibly your L&R speakers behind the screen. I'm sure you know that there's no benefit mounting perf screen onto a slab of MDF.

As for MDF vs frame, I'd go frame. There's less chance of warping, the surface will be flat and the screen will be lighter making handling easier. Ofcourse, all this depends on how good a frame maker you are ;)

Good luck

4. DAKS

DAKS

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks guys,

Am going to build frame today !

DAKS.

5. nfordenfield

nfordenfield
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Or just staple the material to the screen wall as I did. You can get it ruler flat.

Nathan

6. Alaric

Alaric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    Hi there,

I'm looking at putting in a perf screen from harkness, i have the problem that the room is fairly low height, 2.3m, and not too wide, 3m, however length isn't a problem at 5m.

The problem is that my speaker are pertty tall at 1.6m, and are rather opake.

My last place, the room was heigh and i could put the screen above the speaker, here i can't. Width means i can't put them to the side that well....so all i can think of is a perf screen

Any other comments ???

Projector is a BG801s

Ta,
    Lee

7. Chris Frost

Chris Frost

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +107
    By opaque, you mean they're a light colour and you'll see them through the screen perforations? Like the B&Ws with silver fronts and yellow mid/bass driver?

If the perfs are so large you can clearly see stuff behind then I would recommend you choose a screen with smaller holes. Look at the Stewart Micro-Perf screens as a guide.

Large diameter perfs (2-3mm) are OK if the screen is cinema sized (30ft +) because you won't notice them. On a smaller home they're going to be really noticable.

You could also get some darker speaker grill cloth from somewhere like Maplins to disguise the speakers.

Regards

8. Alaric

Alaric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    opaque as you can't see through them....I was basicaly saying they are tall and would be in front of a normal screen, and in the picture and making the screen un-viewable. - Hence i think i need a perf screen...was wondering if anyone else had any other solutions, particularly as Jeff said they comprimesed sound and picture.

cya,
    Lee

9. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,779
    There are several types of perf screen. You'll loose light output, probably over 10% with a perf screen. Stewarts micro-perf is nearer 8% and doesn't affect sound as much......It does come with a wee equaliser to compensate for roll off of Hifrequencies you get with it.

You should ideally paint area behind the perf screen BLACK and prefereably line it with a light absorbing material like velvet or felt(black) other wise you'll see the image behind the screen and in worst case scenario it'll reflect off area behind and come back at the holes....

Gordon

10. Alaric

Alaric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +79
    Hi there,

Was intending on hanging velvet curtains on the back wall (behind the screen) anyway, just for sound deadening purposes.

The stewart screens come with an equaliser....cool. Or do you have to pay extra ???

Was thinking of the harkness micro-perf (Matt-plus version IIRC), its about £45 a metre and making my own frame for it.

Was also considering a RANE equaliser too, its just a pain to find places that sell them - almost picked up an SSE-35 on ebay, but missed out and am still looking.

Cya,
    Lee

11. Roland @ B4

Roland @ B4

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +32
    Perforated screens stretch more easily which can make the holes bigger.

Only use a perforated screen if there is no alternative.

12. jlcrawford

jlcrawford

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I use a perforated screen the material I bought from a guy on AVSFORUMS in the USA.I made a pine frame from 4x3 pine with a chamfer on both front edges and got it upholstered by a pro(no not that kind) in black velvet.
    The stewart has a border of thick material aroud it which stops overstretching and its performance is A1 - I only have centre behind it and the sound is not noticibly altered the screen is THX approved is the material you are buying?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.