1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Perfect Vertical Banding Test

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by kballs, Nov 30, 2004.

1. kballs

kballs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I found the perfect vertical banding test for any and all projectors:

Outlaw Golf for Xbox, on the "Spooky Hollow" course. Everything is grayish mid-tones.

On my new Panasonic AE700 the grass and sky are a bunch of purple and grayish-green vertical bands (no matter what flicker settings). This game and level really show the worst of this projector. For most movies it is great, but a lot of games and computer content have flat/gradient colors with mid-tones. I would have bought a Sanyo Z3 but its lense would have forced me to have a minimum 115" display size in my room (the Panasonic has much wider zoom range) and this was more unacceptable than the VB.

I wonder if this game would show any banding (even slight) on the Sanyo Z3 or Sony HS50/51.

2. ROne

ROne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    Shame I don't like golf!

I would have tried this. On the Z3 there is a VB setting that gives you fine tuning of VB through display of 3 individual colour bars, RGB with dark and light settings in each. At the end of the setup- there is a regular log steps pattern in grey to test the outcome.

It would be better if you could make this changes while watching some video though - as it stands you have to make changes then switch back to video which makes it a laborious process.

3. Darwock

Darwock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got a better one - Ace Combat 5 on PS2 :D

All you can see is sky flying past at high speed, lol.

By the way that purple and grey/green thing doesn't sound like VB, it's more like the problem a lot of xboxes seem to have with 525p when used on this PJ. Set it to 525i and I bet they go away...

4. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    I genuinely believe that this option on the Z3 has absolutely no effect in reducing VB.

5. ROne

ROne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I'm inclined to believe you.

But, the manual does make a deal (god knows why) of saying there should be nothing connected. Now it could just be be bad translaition - but it might be worth trying this.

Having said that I believe the default settings of 0 for all are almost the best and give almost no VB on regular settings.

Maybe other people's Z3 units might be more "off" and need the adjusment than ours.

6. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    If you adjust a setting until banding is visible, the bands that appear are not the type of bands that I would associate with the classic VB. The bands are way too far apart, on my old Tosh MT3 (800X600) they were closer than that! I know that it's like a conspiracy theory but I wonder if that menu is just to keep owners from complaining if they have VB.

Anyway, luckily VB is not a real problem for me.

Conor

7. rooster

rooster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Been a while since i came into this forum . Comer and RONE didn't you used to have the HS10? I still have mines and it is still running as good as ever. Though must admit i probably use it a lot less than some. 2 years since i bought mine and at the time it was one of the best is the ae700 the one to have these days?

8. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83
    Welcome back Rooster

I had the HS10, ROne had a Z1. I only sold my HS10 last week for the Z3. I'm very happy with the upgrade. The three "hot" LCD projectors now are the AE700, Z3 and soon to be released Sony HS50 (Contrast 6000:1 :eek: )

As always, each has it's good and it's bad.

9. rooster

rooster
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Is the Z3 a big jump from the HS10? Just bought a plasma myself so PJ will probably get used even less . But still interested on what's new.

10. Comer

Comer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +83

Better contrast, much improved shadow detail, 1:1 pixel mapping @50Hz and 60Hz. Much, much quiter. Very handy lense shift. Smaller and with 3
    year warranty.

11. kballs

kballs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You're right, I unchecked the 480p checkbox (left the 720p checked) and the purple and gray/green bands went away. :thumbsup:

There is still VB though since that course is all grayish midtones... though much less severe than the purple/green bands... less than I expected... actually about the same amount of VB as my last Sharpvision LCD projector. No worries. :)