Perfect Stranger - Region B to Region A Blu-ray Disc comparison Blu-ray Review

Discussion in 'Blu-ray & DVD discs' started by The News Bot, Sep 5, 2007.

1. The News Bot

The News Bot
      News Supplying Robot

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +446
      Reviewed by Brian Day
      The Region A and B versions of this disc are identical in every way apart from 2 things – the packaging is slightly different and, somehow, our version has been passed with a 15 certificate. I had problems listening to some of the obscenities with my wife – if you do plan to watch this with a 15 year old, please be warned, the language in some parts of the movie is vile..

Make no odds about it, Perfect Stranger is one of the worst films I have ever had the misfortune to sit through.
      Terrible, unconvincing acting to the point of both the leads appear to be totally miscast. If they saw the script before shooting began, they both need to have a serious rethink about which way their respective careers are going to go. But, to be honest, they can’t really go much lower.

A reference quality picture and soundtrack can’t save it I’m afraid, but the overall mark will reflect the fact the studio has made the effort. Sony have not even tried to relieve the turmoil after watching the movie by including a decent set of extras. One 12 minute short that’s just as bad as the feature.

Bottom line – avoid.
      Read the full review...

2. stripe

stripe

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +123
      She won the oscar for Monsters Ball, Gothika was another of her many mistakes.

3. Basil Plumley

Basil Plumley
      Banned

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +723
      OK poor excuse time...:rolleyes: As you may have noticed, most of this review is cut and pasted from the Reg A version I did earlier. I realised my mistake on the film title after I had posted the Reg A copy and changed it in the forum software. However, I didn't change my original version that I had written in Word...so when I cut and pasted it again, the mistake had re-appeared.:suicide:

I have now rectified this in the reg B version.

Thanks for pointing it out.

Brian

4. Mark_a

Mark_a

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +709
      > Some of the exchanges between Rowena and Miles had me blushing – and
      > those of you that may have read my profile will see that I spent a long time
      > in the army. If it makes me cringe, imagine how the ladies in the audience
      > will feel…"

"imagine how the ladies in the audience will feel…"

Good grief, what century are you living in?

Regards

Mark

5. Basil Plumley

Basil Plumley
      Banned

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +723
      Have you seen the film?

6. Badger0-0

Badger0-0
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,923
      I know what you mean mate.
      I swear like a trooper at work, but can't stand swearing when it's out of context or uneeded.
      Thanks for the heads up though, I don't think I'll be letting my 16 YO watch that and I think I'll give it a miss too.

7. Basil Plumley

Basil Plumley
      Banned

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +723
      That is EXACTLY my point...swearing is fine in my opinion. I have no problems with it whatsoever. But when it has no context in the film, as far as I'm concerned, it's not welcome.
      Example - war film, bullets flying, someone swears in the heat of the moment...the situation warrants it and it's not only accepted, these days, it's expected.

Wxample from this film - Halle Berry and work colleague sitting talking about something, Halle Berry strings together 4 pretty foul swear words (we're not talking "blooming" or "flip" here - the "c" word is used frequently) that have no context with the conversation that is taking place and just make it more of a joke.

That is why I asked if the above poster had seen the film - I wasn't trying to be clever or rude...

8. mikim

mikim

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +183
      I think that you are one lucky person if this is one of the worst films you have had to watch.
      A score of 2 out of 10 is almost rock bottom. This deserved at minimum a movie score of 4. ‘2' is like saying it's as bad as say ‘Carry on Columbus' or similar utter tat.

Obviously, opinions are subjective and this probably touched a nerve somewhere, or you were having a bad day… fair enough.
      People ... this film is not that bad at all! It's not the greatest film you will ever see by a long stretch, but it isn't in any way near as bad as the review might suggest.

The wife and I watched it last night and didn't feel the need to turn it off, (and I have done that may times before now)!! I didn't come away with any particular feelings of hatred or total satisfaction either, but when I read this review this morning I felt it was totally unjust, and horribly over bias.

I think the written word in can be really rather unfair, and in this case proven.

9. Basil Plumley

Basil Plumley
      Banned

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +723
      I'm sorry you didn't like the review - but at the same time, I'm glad it didn't spoil your enjoyment of the movie.
      We pride ourselves at AVPlay of being totally unbiased and say what we see, so to say.
      I actually had the msifortune of having to sit through it twice - I reviewed the Reg A version and was then given the Reg B to do a direct comparison. I was hoping the second viewing would change my opinion - it didn't. I really wanted to mark it down after the second viewing but when I remembered I had given it a "2", couldn't really. The second viewing revealed more plot holes, showed more bad acting and made me want to punch Bruce Willis even more..:D

If we all liked the same films, the world would be a pretty boring place now, wouldn't it...;)

I'm glad to see you changed your post BTW - I would hate to think that the fact that I didn't enjoy a film would make you stop the reading the reviews on AVPlay - as I said, unlike some review sites, we won't review films just to sell discs...:smashin:

Thanks for supporting AVPlay

Brian

10. mikim

mikim

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +183
      Hi Brian,
      I did think that I was jumping the gun slightly, so definitely worth changing the post. Often when you read these posts back you realise that you have written the wrong thing.

True, film.. like any artform is subjective. If you didn't like it the first time then I can imagine the frustration of having to view it again :eek:

I just wanted to add some balance. People will start to think that I really like this film now… :rolleyes:

Cheers,
      Mik