Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Perfect Plasma picture - How?

Discussion in 'General TV Discussions Forum' started by RennSport, Sep 9, 2001.

1. RennSport

RennSport

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I intend to purchase a Plasma screen and will initially use a Sky Digibox (Grundig GDS310), Sony PS2 and VCR (JVC HR6700S) as the video source equipment. I will also be purchasing an AV amp and it seems sensible to use this along with a sophisticated learning remote (to switch on the required source and select the correct input signal) as the "control centre" for the signal, ideally with a single connection to the screen from the AV amp. <br />Obviously with an investment of this magnitude I want to obtain the best possible picture from the screen, which as I see it means supplying it with the highest quality outputs from the source devices, meaning VGA from the Digibox and PS2, and S-Video from the VCR. However I have found no AV amp capable of switching RGB through it.<br />I am by no means an expert on this subject but know enough to be dangerous! I would appreciate any advice, hence this post.<br />Is their any alternative to connecting each video source directly to the screen (messy by comparison) and using the AV amp for sound only?<br />I have been advised that a "Line Doubler" could be used to convert the output from the AV amp to a non-interlaced (progressive scan?) RGB signal which would be supplied to the screen via a 15pin D-sub VGA connector. This would mean using S-Video from all source equipment, switching it through the AV amp before passing the output S-Video signal through the Line Doubler.<br />Would this arrangement give a superior picture to providing interlaced RGB signals from the Digibox and PS2 and S-video from the VCR?

2. Gordon @ Convergent AV

Gordon @ Convergent AV
    Distinguished Member AVForums Sponsor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3,036
    Mark,

Just a quick reply.

Using an Iscan doubler fed to a Plasma that's capable of accepting a progressive PAL signal will give much better results than sending interlaced RGB straight to the Plasma.

If you wish to feed RGB from the Digibox and playstation you'd need a RGB to VGA convertor box from someone like <a href="http://www.rgbtosvideo.co.uk" target="_blank">www.rgbtosvideo.co.uk</a> This would strip the horizontal and vertical syns out of the composite signal so the Plasma would work properly.

Gordon

3. Graham Bowes

Graham Bowes

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Don't know if this is the correct place to put this probelm but here goes.....

I have a Fujitsu 4214 and am pleased with it, my only issue is the picture sometimes appears to jerk most notably when watching football when the camera is panning across the pitch. Could this be a problem intrinsic in the technology or when using the VGA input are some of the factory settings wrong. I have no idea what changing the clock rate / clock phase would do for expample.

4. Glenn McDowall

Glenn McDowall
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Graham did you ever get a solution to this?