1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Perfect match for Mission fs1?

Discussion in 'AV Receivers & Amplifiers' started by mcmuff, Sep 15, 2003.

1. mcmuff

mcmuff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :clap: evnin all

Newbe here, goin to buy fs1 speakers, need some guidance for best reveiver on market for 200-400.

Looking at shipping to Ireland, so sterling an issue, although if anyone knows of reliable, good value european supplier/web site i'd be very interested.

Fancy new Sony 790? but 1080 looks good value now.

Anyone matched FS1's with similar spec amps, sony, pioneer, yamaha?

My room is not too big, so major power isn't issue.

All views greatly appreciated.

Cheers.

2. jelly

jelly

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    i got my fs1s matched up with a pioneer vsx 912 and they sound sooooooooo good

3. Wasabi

Wasabi

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    SBC (Swedish Born Chinese)/lived in UK since 96, C
    Ratings:
    +32
    My now obselete Marantz SR-4300G (replaced with 4400) sounds so sweet with the FS1's.

I think the German suppliers are the cheapest in general if you want it shipped to Ireland. Also I think it is very difficult to find UK suppliers that ships outside UK.

Good ones (friends in Sweden has bought from them) www.hifi-regler.de, www.mediacheckpoint.de or www.electronica24.de

Do bear mind that there are German vat and shipping costs and perhaps a small insurance cost added to the prices you see.

These are the main choices from the autumn collection.
    Sony STR-DB790 & 2000
    Yamaha RX-V440, 540 & 640
    Pioneer VSX-D812 & 912
    Onkyo TX-SR501 & 601
    Marantz SR-4400 & 5400
    Denon AVR-1604 & 1804

The features are in general quite the same but with some differences which I will highlight for you.

Sound wise, the autumn collection of above, I don't think there are major differences, I reckon they are all powerful enough for your room and that goes both for music and cinema. Do you want the amp to be as future proof as possible when you upgrade your home cinema equipment e.g. buying projector, plasma?

Pioneer 812 has the room calibrator which is an superb feature.

Onkyo TX-SR601 (501 has won 2 best buy from Home Entertainment & What Video Widescreen Ent, so they are coming strong)and the new Denon AVR-1804 has adjustable hi/low pass crossover-adjustments for the subwoofer. The others have none.

Onkyo 501, 601, Denon 1804, Sony 790, 2000 and Yamaha 440, 540 & 640 has 2 component inputs (best picture quality if you don't have DVI on the dvd source) for connection of dvd player and then out to plasmas, projectors, rear projection or certain Toshiba TV models. Onkyo 601 has also the unique up-conversion of composite signals to s-video quality. The others have only up to S-Video.

They all are 6channel amps with all the sound formats. Marantz has the extra CSII (like DPL-II tecnique but more advanced)which I use most of the time for 2channel music and film sources. Yamaha has their famous DSP programs.

With Onkyo 601 you get a learning remote.

Denon 1804 has A and B speaker selection and 2 zone music feature.

Yamaha has A/B speakers.

They are all prepared for DVD-A and SACD.

They all come in silver as well.

I think these are the main differences.

Wasabi,

4. tpugs

tpugs

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I've got the FS1's - primarily as 'wife-friendly' speakers.

I'm getting a Panasonic SA-XR45 delivered tomorrow - hopefully. Got it from techtronics.com for £309.00

It's half the height of most A/R's and gets good write-ups for the price. A bit 'chrome' for some....but the size did it for me.

I'll post up a review next week.

5. mcmuff

mcmuff

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thanks for the info guys, excellent!

tpugs, the 'wife friendly' is a definate with me too, can't wait to get the review of the panasonic. I've looked at the exact same receiver, i was concerned about the adaptability and futureproofness, as well as performance.

I get the impression that the fs1's would probably limit the performance benefits in some of the more adavanced av amps, as the fs1's may not be as sophisticated as more advanced speakers.

Unless anyone has any particular benefits of a 'traditional' amp over the more 'digital' panasonic amp, i'd probably be swayed towards the smaller footprint of the panasonic.

Let me know how the combination works.

Cheers.

6. jonezy

jonezy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +18
    I'm also thinking of the SA-XR45, but the only thing I'm not sure on is whether the 6.1 capabilities (centre rear) is 'true' discrete or matrix. Other receivers mentioned such as the Pioneer 912 have a spec of DTS-ES DISCRETE, whereas the SA-XR45 shows as DTS-ES.

Can anyone state for sure whether the SA-XR45 is in fact the real 6.1? or am I just confused and talking out my amp!

I would purchase the 912 but unfortunately it won't fit very well under my Tosh PF2 and at the present time, under the TV is the only place for it.

Cheers.