1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Perfect AV Console

Discussion in 'Nintendo Forums' started by annefromuk, Nov 17, 2001.

1. annefromuk

annefromuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I am new to these forums, but I have noticed that there seems to be alot of people against the Xbox.

This makes me curious as this is the only console that offers a true AV Experience.

Xbox supports HDTV and TV resolutions up to 1920x1080, which no other console does.
    Also It has 256 simultaneous audio channels, 3D positional audio, and real-time Dolby Digital audio encoding.

I know we still are about 5 years behind the US, and don't have HDTV in the UK, but at least we get a Cinema sound experience with the Xbox.

Anne

2. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I'm all for the X-Box and simply cannot wait to play Project Gotham. But £300 is still expensive, and can't be justified with the arguement that the PS2 and other consoles are priced similarly at release.

I won't be buying one until I can get it for around £200.

3. comeclickbuy

comeclickbuy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    well for me personly i like to play games for one reason FUN i am not atall bothered by full 5.1 sound in gaming i want great gameplay, at the end of the day no matter what people say the x box is still a pc in a box and will always cause problems, microsoft should stick to what there known for OS and a few games, look at the x box controller it has to be the worse design ever to grace a console followed by the dreamcast,

i myself have a gamecube on its way to me direct from the U.S and cant wait for it to arrive nintendo make the best games the controller is 2nd to none and the graphics from rogue leader look amazing by any standard.

long live nintendo!!

4. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    correct me if im wrong but the gamecube cant output rgb.lets face facts nintendo make kids games end of story.an have you seen the cube pad lol looks like an feels like a cheap 3rd party pad.butatleast you can multimod it already which is nice now lets sit back for the pirate games to flood in

5. annefromuk

annefromuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    All the next gen consoles are good, all I was stating was that the Xbox has the capabilty to do more than the others.

Ok, so some people don't see any jaw dropping games on the Xbox at the moment, but thats not the fault of the console itself.

Its a shame you can't get a demo disk you could try in all the consoles, like you would do if you were buying a nice set of speakers.

Also please don't comment on a pad if you have not used it, there have been a lot of reporters retracting their negative comments on the pad after testing it with an Xbox game.

And regarding Microsoft sticking to what they are good at! well then Sony should have stuck to making TVs, and Nintendo and Sega should have kept making Playing cards and Pinball Machines.

Anne

6. comeclickbuy

comeclickbuy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Silverback typical x box fanboy every magazine which has reviewed the gamecube controller all say it is by far the most comfortable controller on the market lets face it who the hell cares what it looks like? as long as it fits your hand and is comfortable for long periods of play.

and about being a kiddie system well let me tell you this YES nintendo do make games for younger people but they also make great games which are not 1080 snowbaording, NBA Courtside, Wave race etc. for the other developers if they make a kiddie game i am afraid to tell you it will be on the x box and ps2 also so are they kiddie systems? at the end of the day a developer makes a game then ports it to all systems so they are gona have pretty much the same software on them all, where a console stands out is with EXCLUSIVE software and i can tell you the gamecube will have more EXCLUSIVE software than both the PS2 and X BOX,

Nintendo themselves
    Rare
    Factor 5 (star wars is stunning)
    and there are more

now you name me a list of exclusive developers for the PS2 and X BOX and i gaurentee to top it with the cubes list

off the top of my head the X Box has microsoft and eeeeeeeerrrrr hmmmmmmmm eeeeeeeerrr
    the PS2 has Sony and eeeeeeeerrrrrr

i am not saying they are the only devlopers but the list is NOT big i gaurentee that

we all know the x box will fail its just a matter of time i mean microsoft only have about 350,000 x boxes at launch and there was still some on the selves 3 days later

the gamecube had 700,000 and they were all snapped up in 2 days

7. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    ok if the gamecube soldout everywhere how com i can still order one and i could have pre ordered one last week.yet i couldnt find an xbox for love nor money well unless i wanted to pay a fortune for one.an lets not make out like nintendo make every game perfect.have you played luigis mansion dearlord its has no depth at all.nintendo has mario an pokemon oh an have you played waverace on the cube looks nice looks very nice but its just a straight port from the n64 an from what i have seen they havent even changed the tracks.an imno fanboy i did my homework before i buy a console an on some forums they reckon there are some problems with the xbox.an there is no way im getting one if there is a chance it has to go back for a repair.an tot ell you the truth if i had to pick a console right now i would go for the ps2 pro evolution gta3 devil may cry burnout very impressive.

8. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    oh an here is that list you wanted for the xbox activision,midway,ea,ifrogames,eidos,thq,tecmo,konami a that is just what i can think of now lets see your list.

9. comeclickbuy

comeclickbuy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I agree luigis mansion is a very short game but my little 10 year old sister will have a great time playing it, short or not you cant not be amazed at the lighting efects in the game, as for wave race i have played an import version (jpn) and i also have the N64 version to say its a straight port is 100% wrong the graphics are so much better the water efects are by far the best on any console, and the tracks well the N64 had 9 tracks, the gamecube has 11 tracks and although 2 of them share the same enviroment (EG Ice) they are not the same tracks as for the other 9 they are completely different so i dont know where your getting your info from but its wrong.

GTA3 will almost certainly be coming to the cube (already out on the GBA) Namco is no longer exclusive expect to see tekken and ridge racer on the cube.
    Sony has given permission to Square to make games for hte cube (although thats not defintely gona happen yet) but i am getting at there is not many exclusive devopers on other systems if you want to play more EXCLUSIVE games the gamecube is the way to go becsue lets face it there wont be many games which wont be on the cube apart from the ovious (GT, Halo) etc

10. comeclickbuy

comeclickbuy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    let me EXPLAIN AGAIN i mean a list of EXLCUSIVE devlopers by that it means delopers which will ONLY make games for the PS2 or XBOX

EA are on cube
    activision are on cube
    midway are on cube
    THQ are on cube

I will get a kist of exclucisve devlopers for cube and post later

11. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i personaly think that one of the big pluses of x-box is the eas with wich games can be brought over from the pc . there are dozens and dozens ov exceptional games that would take no time at all to port over.

personaly i think that no mater what console comes along i will stick with my pc . i still don't think anything else can touch a top notch pc after all that's all the x-box is (a cut down pc in a fansy box)

12. Ono

Ono

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +109
    The M$ X-Box is going to struggle.

Why?

Because I just cannot see the Japanese and Far East (more of this below) market accepting it.

The machine is HUGE and just does not fit into the Japanese ethos of small is better. M$ have gone to great lengths to promote the machine over there but it will be interesting to see if Japanese people living in box-like flats are willing to have it in their living rooms. I fear not.

As for the other Far East markets, M$ are not going to release the console to the Hong Kong and China market until it has matured a bit becuase it fears piracy of software (M$ lose about US$115 for every hardware unit sold). Big mistake. HK is a leading market for Global developement of 3rd party peripherals and add-ons which encourage the growth of these consoles. Late arrival in the market will bring about an irreversible apathy for the machine.

Can a console survive with just a USA and European base? I think it will be difficult. The Japs are the most fanatical gamers in the world bar none.

I fear that the PS2 already has an unassailable lead on the user base side of things, but who cares?!

Personally I am going for the GAMECUBE. Hindsight may prove me wrong but I see the distribution of the most imaginative, playable and fun games in the near and foreseable future being weighted heavily on the Nintendo machine. That surely is what gaming is all about?

:)

13. lechacal

lechacal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    Criticism that the Gameboy is a 'kiddies machine' sounds a bit hollow coming from someone who writes like a seven year old...

Anyway, Goldeneye didn't look like a kids game to me. Considering the PS was supposed to be the 'cool' machine to own it was a bit disappointing that there was never anything to rival Goldeneye out for it (I owned a PS, never a Nin).
    Also, it was dressed up all cute, but DK Racing was a much better game than Speedfreaks or Crash Racing and there was never a Mario Kart equivalent.
    I don't care if Pikmin is all bright colours and cutesy story - I don't think I've ever seen a game that looks that much fun to play!

14. annefromuk

annefromuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    The high-rate of software piracy in China has scared away all the console makers. So it is not just a Microsoft only issue.

Also the Xbox is larger, but thats because it has a lot already built in, the cube will need a seperate box for the modem.

The size is not as important as you think, because if that were the case they would not be selling 30"+ TV's in Japan

Anne

15. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Built in hard drive and broadband support, four game ports.

What else would anyone want to add? Except for those pathetic things such as dance mats and the like, which can all stay in the far East as far as I'm concerned.

The XBox, depending on the games, has the potential and the stats to be the greatest games console ever, mixing the raw power of the PC with the simplicity of the games console and throwing in some state of the art, innovative technology. The only downside is the fact that it's Microsoft's creation, and you know they'll be aiming for nothing less than the total domination and suffocation of the rest of the industry.

The Gamecube is going to be awesome also, but Nintendo still needs to grow up a bit.

The PS2 is going to dominate for a long time to come (although development on the PS3 is apparently being quickened due to Sony soiling themselves in the headlights of the XBox).

16. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    apart from micosoft im not sure the xbox has any exclusive developers only exclusive games.anyway i remembr the amiga having alot of exclusive developers an look where that got them.i know the amiga is no nintendo im just saying.i had a look at the releases for the gamecube an apart from star wars game an super mokey what you call it thats the list of exclusives that they have an are worth bothering with.oh an by the way nintendo own shares in rage software so cancel that of your exclusive developer list as they already are nintendo.any way im pretty sure what ever platform we choose we will be happy with atleast a few titles so lets stop all the fussin an a feuding lol :) i do stand by my acusation of the cube pad being dodgy though i dont know why they just dont copy the ps pads they are the best

17. lechacal

lechacal

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +66
    I think you mean Rare, not Rage.

Nintendo only invested in them a couple of years ago. Rare has been producing Nintendo exclusive games since the early nineties, when it was formed by the folks who used to be Ultimate.

18. Duncan Harvey

Duncan Harvey

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    make that the mid 1980s! I remember a detailed article in "The Games Machine" magazine profiling Rare and their ultimate heritage.

19. Duncan

Duncan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What a load of crap from Silverback!!!!

I own a Gamecube and can confirm that the controller is easily the best Ive ever used.

Gamecube is indeed sold out, yeah you can pre-order as Ninty are producing 100k of machines a week and Jap machines are in good supply- they still outsold XBox nearly 2-1.

Yeah WaveRace is indeed totally different to the N64 version- in fact with the new weather FX, each course has 5 different water levels which reveal new shortcuts and obstacles effectively giving you 20 diferent courses.

Dont overestimate the XBoxs supposed power- remember XBox is basically a PC and not a very powerful one at that, the Processor is a Celeron not a P4 or even a P3 and the GEForce Cards polygon prowess dips when using the kind of effects that the custom built IBM Gekko Processor and ATI Flipper chip chuck around for fun. Remember GameCube has been specifically designed to do a single thing- play games and move 3D graphics around very quickly- whereas XBox is an adaption of a system not specifically designed for gaming. Oh and the Gekko even thought it runs at a mere 500mhz is roughly equivialant to a 1.5ghz P4- not bad for a 'kids' machine.

Anyway I dont know why we bother because if you dismiss a product because it is a toy then you have no idea what a games console is- a toy. Its just that Nintendo are better at making toys than Microsoft or Sony- surely why both companies constantly copy Ninty.................

20. Duncan

Duncan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PS pads the best? Ha Ha- how antiquated that Sony make the focus of the controller not the analogue sticks but the digital pad!!!! And the anolgue sticks are terrible- at least the gamecube pad has some feedback, plus you cant use both PS analogue sticks and still use a button, you can with the GC pad.

Silver you really need to hold one to appreciate it- it is contoured as such that even the shoulder buttons fit naturally under your fingers. Its unfair to criticise something if you havent tried it- as most Nintendo bashers dont try Nintendo as they see it as a kiddies console.

Ive got an N64, DC, PSone and sold a PS2- plus I have used the XBoxs abysmal controllers and in order of preference I would choose:

GameCube
    N64
    Dual Shock PS2/PSone
    DC
    XBox

21. Duncan

Duncan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    One thing though- Im absolutely jealous about Pro Evolution 2 on PS2, that is sooooooo feckin amazing.

Ive got Fifa 2002 on GC until PES comes out, but graphics apart the PS2 version comes out on top.

22. comeclickbuy

comeclickbuy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well its official the nintendo Gamecube beat all next gen console sales heres the press statement

Nintendo announced today that its GameCube platform is the fastest selling of the three next-generation systems. The company also declared that its flagship offering Luigi's Mansion is the most popular launch title in history.
    According to Nintendo, GameCube sold more than one-half million units during the first week of availability. The firm claimed that its machine sold at nearly twice the rate of Microsoft's Xbox system and 25 percent faster than Sony's PlayStation 2 when it debuted last year.

Initial North American shipments numbered 740,000 hardware units. 100,000 systems went to Canada and Latin America and another 75,000 to US rental stores. Nintendo said that all of the 80 percent shipments to retailers have sold out, though new loads of 125,000 pieces are already arriving.

"To have outpaced any other videogame console launch ever would be notable in its own right," said Peter Main, executive vice president, sales and marketing, Nintendo of America. "But to accomplish this under the current economic conditions is truly remarkable. There is a seemingly endless appetite for high quality, stay-at-home entertainment at an affordable price -- which is a perfect definition of Nintendo GameCube."

Meanwhile, Nintendo alleged that its Luigi's Mansion game has sold at a phenomenal rate, even eclipsing debut sales of Super Mario 64 for its previous home platform. Star Wars Rogue Squadron: Rogue Leader II appears to be a strong second.

"At a suggested retail price of $199.95, consumers can purchase Nintendo GameCube and two games for the same cost as rival, current generation game consoles alone. It's like getting two games for free," Main added.

23. Duncan

Duncan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anne- your information about GameCube is incorrect. The modem and Broadband adaptor fit INTO the base of the console.

Even with a hard drive unit on the base, GameCube is tiny compared to XBox and PS2.

Have you actually seen one? I doubt it- as everyone who has seen ours even next to our Psone is amazed at how tiny it is.

24. pointon

pointon

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Although Duncan will obviously not believe me, I think this is the best gaming news I've heard since my parents told me I could have a SNES for Xmas all those years ago.

Brilliant move by Nintendo, to underprice Microsoft and Sony like that. Of course, Nintendo have always been popular in the US. I doubt that Europe will be as interested, unfortunately. Sorry to end on a low.

But then again, if the US market can keep Nintendo doing what it does best, I don't care how Europe embraces the Game Cube as long as I get myself one.

BTW, I've seen a GC, and it could fit in my pocket!

25. museumsteve

museumsteve

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,022
    Well I have an Xbox..and a GC and PS2..
    I use them all with my home cinema set-up..Denon AVCA1SE and projector..
    PS2 and GameCube I use component and love the results..
    PS2 has straight optical input which is very convenient..
    GC has Rogue Leader which outputs a ProLogic II soundtrack - alas I don;t have DPL2 yet..
    PS2 has EA games that sport DTS soundtracks (and they sound awesome)
    GC and Xbox both support progressive scan..
    Xbox - I don;t have the hi-def pack yet (hoepfully tomorrow) but then I'll be looking forward to Dolby Digital 'in-game'..
    Xbox has highest res support (as long as it's programmed for of course)..
    Anne..not sure which is best for AV as they all have their benefits.
    Xbox is brut power so I have a feeling it will be my fav within a few months..
    GC is probably better suited to Nintendo fans as most other top franchises seem to be heading to both PS2 and Xbox..
    Forget japan..they may be the hungriest gamers around..but the US market is bigger..and so is Europe (as a whole). This is why Xbox wont fail..it only needs to succeed in the US or Europe (ideally both) and Microsoft will be more than happy..
    Just my two pennies worth..

26. SILVERBACK

SILVERBACK

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +73
    christ on a mountain bike someone has been hitting the coffee very hard huh DUNCAN.i never seen so many replys with the same persons name in most replys lol.anyway i have after all my reserch decided to go for a ps2 an do youknow why pro evolution an gta3.an i have held a nintendoh sorry nintendo pad an it was ok its not like ou make out though tailor made to your hand dont mke me laugh.i seriously think whn all the consoles are released in every continent that there will be alot of happy owners of every consle.but i have to say i dont think nintendo have go it right at all.have to admit thoug i downloaded a preview of resi evil on gamecube mmmmmmmmmmmm very nice indeed.oh i have aquestion for you did you prefer iss on nintendo64 or playstation1

27. Duncan

Duncan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry- Ive had a quiet day at work!!!!

I prefer ISSe on Playstation, although the original ISS98 on N64 knocked the PSX ISS98 for six.

And I must admit that after playing PES on PS2 Im a bit gutted I sold my PS2- as if ever there was one game that makes a console worth owning it is that.:(

28. zoolap

zoolap

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7
    I don't think a console has to more powerful necessarily, as long as the game runs well. My main issue is that Microsoft are making inroads into everything and I don't want them having a monopoly in gaming as well, they kind of do already in the way most main pc games need windows. I like my pc for the fact that I can do several things like gaming, web browsing and other things (especially messing around with software). I hate this exclusive to machine things. Also I want more types of games, eg. beat-em ups, better platformers. As to the whole games for kids, if a game is fun it's fun whatever age it's made for.

29. annefromuk

annefromuk

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    oops, but you still need to spend more money.

I have seen the Gamecube and yes it is tiny, and the Mini DVD's are cute as well, but to me size is not that important,
    why not save even more space and buy a 8" TV as well to go with it.

BTW: The Software lineup is going to improve on all the consoles so please don't judge them yet (all Console when they are released have a small range of titles)

The Gamecube only has titles that people like becuase Nintendo delayed the release of the the console for over a year until one guy had finished the Games, so in a way the gamecube is old, the titles are whats new.

Anne

30. Duncan

Duncan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Nice to see a woman say size isnt important!!!

I think size is- as most avid gamers are likely to have more than one console in the living room and im glad GC is tiny, as the room was starting to get bloody untidy with an N64, PSone, Dreamcast and now a Gamecube- all with four controllers!!!!

So yes I would say that for anyone who likes a nice home environment the design of a console may matter to the casual gamer.

As for the adaptors- they are exactly that, they cost about £15- as the Gamecube has a similar support processor to what Apple use for its GeoPort technology- basically this can do the work of a NIC or a modem by simply emulating the device.

All very clever- especially as this allows the gamecube to support any surround sound format you choose, as everything is done in software with just the appropriate adaptor required.

After all why pay for something you may not need- then broadband users etc can pay a nominal fee to get the appropriate adaptor.