Peppermint Review & Comments

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Phil Hinton, Mar 2, 2019.

1. Casimir Harlow

Casimir Harlow
      Blu-ray Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5,154
    2. Andrew1472

Andrew1472

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +1,585
      Thanks Cas. Not expecting too much, but it’s added to my watchlist for tonight.
      I also remembered to double check this time, but sadly it’s 1080 only it seems, no UHD version shows up with a search.

3. Casimir Harlow

Casimir Harlow
      Blu-ray Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5,154
      To be honest enough, we're lucky to get it at all. It's had a wide theatrical and BD/DVD release in the US already (no 4K), and last year no less, so getting even it in 1080p appears to be a win. It's not a bad choice for Saturday night in, but managed expectations are a good start, enjoy!

4. Blues Rock

Blues Rock

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +159
      I really enjoyed this movie, was well entertaining, one gives this an 8 out of 10

• Agree Agree x 3
      • Like Like x 2
      • List
    5. Ripsnorter

Ripsnorter

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +411
      Thanks, Cas. I would have rated it a point higher because, whilst I agree with you, it does all the clichéd button pressing so well and this genre offers only so many possibilities: do the usual and do it well, or try to come up with a new twist (which the genre precludes). Having been fortunate to see it on a big screen it fills the canvas very nicely, but it will lose very little on a decent TV. As to your "Despite the shortcomings, it's still curious that STX Films would choose such an odd release structure for the UK. Are we suddenly too discerning to qualify for this kind of film? Even on DVD?", it's all down to the money. But you know that, right? ;). Why deal with distributors, sub-distributors, revenue collection etc. when you can take one very nice cheque to the bank and move on? For producers that can be an absolute godsend. And I am sure that Amazon would have also secured themselves sequel and series rights too.

6. Casimir Harlow

Casimir Harlow
      Blu-ray Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +5,154
      Ratings are always tough lol. I kind of agree with you, but I don't really want to raise expectations; it's better readers watch a movie expecting a decent 6 and find themselves pleasantly surprised, than be disappointed it's not a good 7.

But I also wanted to give it the same score as Serenity, because it just illustrates how a relatively high quality production with a big cast (Serenity) can barely scratch a 6 score all because of a misguided attempt at originality, when playing it safe may have resulted in a much better film; whilst Peppermint is easily comparable to average DTV fare these days, starring something of a has-been actress (much as I love Garner, she's been out of the game for a decade) and plays it ultra-safe, but does so with enough efficiency and gusto to earn a much more respectable 6 or, as you've suggested, possibly even higher. And that's with NO attempt at originality whatsoever. That's an interesting paradox, because filmmakers really can't win can they?

And yes, I can see why Studios would sell movies like this to Amazon/Netflix rather than try a BD/DVD (let alone theatrical) release, but I'm more confused about the ones that don't get sold to Amazon/Netflix. Why the differentiation? There's much worse than Peppermint getting Blu-ray releases, this one wasn't even an HMV exclusive (or perhaps it was originally planned to be). And I'm also frustrated by Amazon's release strategy. It wouldn't take much to market that Peppermint is coming up so people can look forward to a nice Friday night movie in? They must have paid a pretty penny to pick up this as an 'exclusive'.

7. simonblue

simonblue
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8,791
      Thanks for the review Cas,got the US blu ray,i quite enjoyed it about a 7 here :)

8. Ripsnorter

Ripsnorter

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +411
      It's always a matter of personal taste, one man's vindaloo being another's korma. Peppermint is certainly a decent watch and fits into the canon nicely. Interestingly, Serenity is getting a theatrical release in some territories so I might pick up on it there instead. Nobody in the production business ever lost their job for saying no or playing it safe. Often, something that plays well as a script can fail dismally as a film and vice versa, so William Goldman hit the nail bang on the head with his "Nobody knows anything...... Not one person in the entire motion picture field knows for a certainty what's going to work. Every time out it's a guess and, if you're lucky, an educated one" (Adventures In The Screen Trade).

It's wonderful when a film just works, other times you are watching an attempt that ends in magnificent failure, other times it is a case of seeing what it could have been but they made a different film instead. It can be a very thin line between awesome and average. And I have seen so often how great scripts get ground down by the entire production process. This is also one of the reasons I love genre: low budget, no reams of studio executives, a knowing audience, the chance for filmmakers to use real imagination.

I am making educated guesses, but I would assume Peppermint sold on the basis of the lead actress. There are much better films out there but getting them to an audience is not easy if such a 'hook' is missing. As I mentioned, if the deal was done directly with the producers then I am sure there would have been more in play than just the one film itself, such as sequel and series rights. Those films that do go straight to Blu-ray/DVD, the customers need to know that they exist in the first place. On quite a few occasions I have persuaded a potential buyer to try one film over another, but purely because I know them both and happened to be there at the time. Otherwise people browse the shelves looking for... The best key art?

For Amazon, and I agree with you about the marketing, it is a drop in the ocean, a spend of peanuts among the hundreds or millions, the billions, just another addition. Amazon and Netflix do scale as opposed to love and nurture. They are huge machines that need product. This is not to denigrate them, of course. I was at a recent event where Netflix wheeled on its various European heads of fiction and they are all very dedicated to finding and developing the best projects they can: I would work with any one of them in a shot (in fact I already have, but at a tangent). But how much input they then get into the actual marketing when it is made? My guess is very little, if that. I'm a huge fan of C4's Walter Presents, and look how little actual marketing C4 does with it, and it is a minute platform in comparison. I scroll through on occasions just to see what is new, which is how I came across the mayhem-a-gogo that is the Japanese-US schoolgirl zombie horror series Crows's Blood. I might have blinked and missed it, but of marketing, and C4 has only so much money, I saw nary a trace.

Last edited: Mar 2, 2019
    9. djcla

djcla

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +592
      I loved this movie was a great entertaining Saturday night popcorn flick and solid 7 for me .

10. piston broke

piston broke

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +306
      Watched it tonight with the wife and we both enjoyed it. A good popcorn flick. 6/10 is a close enough score for me:)

11. Buckster666

Buckster666

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +492
      Really enjoyed it, Jennifer Garner is a bad ass

12. Drax1

Drax1
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,342
      Yes, she really is in this. And there's a VERY high body count too. I liked how her character is suspected
      of vigilantism very early on in the film, rather than the well worn premise of her character being unmasked late on by some dogged old school cop.

13. Drax1

Drax1
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +4,342
      And the opening scene is very nicely done, and grabs the attention immediately. ;)

It's a 6.5/10 from me, and would be more if I had been privy to more of the change from kooky mother, to Rambo style killing machine.
      The YouTube footage of Garner
      cagefighting - more please!

14. alphaomega16

alphaomega16
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,674
      Yeah, the transition was a bit abrupt and we had no real visual of the grief and training.

15. invisiblekid

invisiblekid
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +3,671
      A dirtied up Garner with an FU attitude and a lot of guns? Dot to dot, by the numbers, box ticking. I'm still in.

Thanks Cas, it may not be the best, but I'm still watching.

16. Rambo John J

Rambo John J
      Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +2,372
      I watched it a couple of months ago and don't remember anything about it other than I liked it at the time. Sometimes that's all a film needs to be entertaining, for me. It doesn't need to break the mould or cover new territory and it doesn't have to linger in the memory afterwards, it just needs to provide a decent enough at the time distraction for 90 or so minutes.

17. Greg Hook

Greg Hook
      Moderator & Reviewer

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      In a secret location with Jennifer Lawrence
      Ratings:
      +11,226
      These sort of films are never going to score high, but you can’t beat a decent revenge flick. This appeared on Amazon Prime last weekend so I watched it Sat night. Echoing other comments, it was enjoyable enough and a good popcorn film, but felt it missed a training scene, although that might have drawn some cliche comments.

I’ve been a fan of Jennifer Garner ever since Alias. She looked better here than back in that.

18. Buckster666

Buckster666

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +492
      Definitely agree a training montage set to 80`s arena rock, would have been great

19. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8,767
      I just watched it seeing it was on Prime before the review and knew I watch it soon so stayed away from the review Cas.
      I thought it was a bit derivative of most vigilante films Deathwish, The Punisher and her ex-husband's The Accountant(that's a cracker of a film).
      I enjoyed it more than my last 2 Saturday night films well worth watching.
      6.5/10

20. Snake79

Snake79

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +75
      I watched it last night. It's an enjoyable if mostly unimaginative film that has some nice action scenes and Garner is great as the lead. All of the other characters felt generic though.

It does feel like an early/mid 90's b-movie action film with a few modern references thrown in. Something you would have seen Van Damme or Seagal in back in the day.

Worth a watch if you like action/revenge films but not for repeat viewings.
      6.5/10

21. Garrett

Garrett

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +8,767
      Question what were the two women bitching about at the start of the film was it a Parking space at the bank??

22. Ripsnorter

Ripsnorter

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +411
      As I understand it, yes. But then all the ensuing KA-BOOM!!! wiped it from my memory so I could be totally wrong.

23. Idle Bull

Idle Bull

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +115
      I agree, that was one cliche they forgot to tick :) Still an enjoyable saturday night, brain in neutral, romp :)

24. scrowe

scrowe

Products Owned:
      Products Wanted:
      Ratings:
      +961
      Great to see Garner back in an ass-kicking role, one of the few actresses who actually looks like she could be as lethal for real. I was hoping for slightly better than I saw, perfectly functional and didn't try for any real differentiation or spin on the genre, which I guess is fine. But I think they needed to have justified her ass-kicking in the script to sell it more for me. Even if it was mentioned in one of the news pieces as to early background, or a photo in the house, of here having been ex-military before settling for family life, I know it would have been unoriginal but nor was anything else. The soccer-mom to revenge-assassin by dropping off grid for 5 years was a little too much even for this type of film.

I also was unimpressed with the PQ via Amazon. A film mostly in the dark and grit like this really highlights the limitations of compression in HD streaming versus Blu-Ray.