• New Patreon Tier and Early Access Content available. If you would like to support AVForums, we now have a new Patreon Tier which gives you access to selected news, reviews and articles before they are available to the public. Read more.

People's opinion on Devialet

Mulldog

Hello all,

I am quite intrigued by the new devialet phantom reactor. I have auditioned the phantom gold and was pretty impressed but its way out of my budget.

Has anyone auditioned the smaller phantom reactor? Do they perform like their bigger brother?

I was wondering whether its possible to hook these to a pc and play stereo but I can't find enough information.

I'm torn between these or adding a sub to my Adam t5v.

Any feedback or advice welcome

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
Phantom Reactor 600

Phantom Premier: High-End Wireless Speaker - Devialet

I think you will not find positive opinions on such a device. Though clearly someone must be buying it.

MY OPINION is the same as my opinion on Sound Bars - if you must ... you must ... but only if you must.

The highest system I found among these was US$3500, for that money I can get a pretty fantastic and much more versatile Stereo System, and likely even a pretty good AV Surround System.

Now if you want good sound that sits out of the way in a compact form on a table or desktop, then this might have some value, but IN MY OPINION, I would much rather have a more conventional Stereo System.

To me, good as it may sound, it is a gimmick system, and that doesn't appeal to me.

However, it might appeal to someone ... just not me.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:

Mulldog

Phantom Reactor 600

Phantom Premier: High-End Wireless Speaker - Devialet

I think you will not find positive opinions on such a device. Though clearly someone must be buying it.

MY OPINION is the same as my opinion on Sound Bars - if you must ... you must ... but only if you must.

The highest system I found among these was US$3500, for that money I can get a pretty fantastic and much more versatile Stereo System, and likely even a pretty good AV Surround System.

Now if you want good sound that sits out of the way in a compact form on a table or desktop, then this might have some value, but IN MY OPINION, I would much rather have a more conventional Stereo System.

To me, good as it may sound, it is a gimmick system, and that doesn't appeal to me.

However, it might appeal to someone ... just not me.

Steve/bluewizard
Hi Steve,

Thanks for the reply. Have you ever managed to listen to one?

The purpose would be for a stereo desk setup and wireless is a bonus.

I am not sure how 2 phantom reactors would be connected to a pc in stereo though

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
They probably sound great, but they are what they are and they are NOT what they are NOT.

How much money are you willing to sink into this project, and have you looked at the alternatives.

Also, we would need a clear description of when, where, and how these speakers will be used. You mention a computer and a desktop. You can get some MIGHTY FINE Studio Monitors for US$2000, which is what two of the basic Devialet models will cost. Not sure of UK prices. Again, that money will buy some STELLAR Studio Monitors.

And that money will buy a fantastic Stereo amp and allow for a very wide range of Desktop/Bookshelf Speakers.

It this a cool product? YES! Does it sound good? Very probably!

But it is a product within a framework and in my opinion, not a very versatile framework.

Much like a Sound Bar is a product within a framework, and if circumstances force you into that framework, then more power to you. But as I said - if you must ... you must ... but only if you must. And if the novelty of something unique appeals to you, then perhaps that falls within the framework of "must" ... for you.

But short of winning the lottery and being able to afford novelty products, I just can not see myself buying such a product no matter how good it works. I'll take a much more versatile Modern Stereo Amp packed with features combined with the highest quality Speakers that fit within my working budget and circumstances.

But ... that's just me. You asked for my opinion, and ... this is it.

Steve/bluewizard

Last edited:

Ugg10

Distinguished Member
Devialet have an outlet in the Bicester Village complex if you are near there.

I'm with @BlueWizard, similar to Bose, you are buying into a brand.

The cheapest Phantom Reactor is the 600 is £1k per speaker, but my brain struggles to work out how you can produce 18hz at -6db and 25hz at -1db from a speaker that has a volume of 3l.

So, for £2k you ought to have a look at the Kef LS50 wireless speakers or better still a decent £500 Dac with volume control (easier than playing around with app/PC volumes) plus a pair of monitor speakers as Bluewizzard has suggested-

Example -

DAC - Audiolab M-Dac (£470) which also has a headphone socket or if you need streaming a Cambridge Audio CXN v2 (£700) and

Speakers - either Dynaudio BM6a (£1450) or Adam A77x (£1400) (for bigger speakers) or the Adam A7x plus sub package (£1220) or these look very nice with a bit of style - Focal Shape Twin (£1435 - Focal Shape Twin Studio Monitors (Pair) - New UK Stock 191561834064 | eBay).

Reviews -
Audiolab M-DAC review | What Hi-Fi?
Focal Shape Twin |

But best thing is to get out there, do some auditions and let your ears decide.

TB303

Personally I gave up on Devialet when they claim these subs (the gold version?) is 4500W Class A (!) - seriously? using PMPO figures like some boombox blaster form the 80s?

EDIT: Looks like they came down from their claims now only 900W (peak) - still ridiculous IMO

Alan Weir 1

Just reading that in the first half of 2019 you can connect the Devialet speakers as a stereo pair using an inapp upgrade. Not sure exactly when this will be avaiable.

But to be honest i'm with the Guys above. A KEF LS50 or even better the KEF LSX would be a far better option for on your desk top than the Devialet

BlueWizard

Distinguished Member
There are a couple of ways you can use Studio Monitors in this situation, and probably for a lot less money.

Start with an Interface -

Mackie Big Knob Studio - £199 -

Mackie Big Knob Studio Monitor Controller

Mackie Big Knob Studio Monitor Interface at Gear4music

This is a Pre-Amp/Mixer that has Bi-Directional USB (24b/96k), two independent Headphone Amp with Volume Control, a Master Volume Control, has Analog Inputs, and is capable of driving Two set of Monitors.

Now, how far do you really want to take in on Studio Monitors and how big can the be? To get the best compromise of Bass Depth, I recommend 6.5" (165mm) Studio Monitors, and very good monitors can be had in the range of £300/pair, though you can spend massively more. Generally 8" Monitors are getting pretty big, and really need to be on stands, but you can get floorstands for about £40/pr.

Priced EACH -

Studiospares Triangle Base Monitor Speaker Stand

Studiospares MS140 Tripod Monitor Stand

Perhaps not to the standard your budget is suggesting, but the New ADAM T-Series should be very good.

Adam T7V 7" Studio Monitors - £169 EACH -

Adam T7V Nearfield Monitor x1

Now if you want to really get serious, the ADAM A-Series -

Adam A7X 7" Studio Monitor - £460 EACH -

Adam T7V Nearfield Monitor x1

Focal Shape 65 Studio Monitor - £600 EACH -

Focal Shape 65 Studio Monitor single

Certainly these will not go as low as the Devialet claims to go, but in all honesty, to go deep takes BIG BASS DRIVERS, which the Devialet does not have. There is only so much design wizardry you can do, so I doubt the Devialet go as deep as the claim to a reasonable standard.

But, regardless of how deep they go, they will indeed sound stunning.

Generally these speaker are most often recommended for substantially less than you were going to spend -

Mackie MS-Series -

Product Search - Studiospares

Mackie in General -

Studio Monitors - Studiospares

Focal Monitors -

Gear4music | Shop Music Equipment & Musical Instruments

ADAM Monitors -

Gear4music | Shop Music Equipment & Musical Instruments

JBL Monitors -

https://www.gear4music.com/search/?str_search_phrase=JBL+Studio+Monitors

And of course many more to choose from.

The KEF LS50 Active are about £2000/pr, but these are generally regarded as Stunning speaker. Certainly not the bass depth of the Devialet claim, but still very good sounding.

https://www.superfi.co.uk/p-18847-kef-ls50-wireless-powered-speakers.aspx

You want improved bass from Active Speakers, consider these -

Wharfedale Diamond A2 Active - £995/pr -

https://www.superfi.co.uk/p-18847-kef-ls50-wireless-powered-speakers.aspx

If you really want to hit a high standard of sound quality then -

DALI CALLISTO - £2400 to £3200/pair -

https://www.audiovisualonline.co.uk...6-c-black-active-floorstanding-speakers-pair/

https://www.audiovisualonline.co.uk...sto-2-c-black-active-bookshelf-speakers-pair/

Certainly if you want the DEVIALET for the novelty of it, and you don't mind paying the price ... go for it.

But myself I'm going for more conventional systems.

Steve/bluewizard

psikey

Distinguished Member
I can strongly recommend the KEF LSX (dependant on room size). Can even add a separate sub later if needed but seem perfect without anyway.

I have mine with PC connected via 3.5mm jack, PS4 Pro by optical and generally listen to music directly streamed from Tidal or Roon (and Spotify Connect).

Last edited:

CMcK

I have two Devialet Silver Phantoms which replaced a JS Audio customised Music Fidelity setup with Quad speakers.

The Phantoms are simply in a different league. The frequency range they reproduce and depth of soundstage are very impressive. The bass reproduction really is all it’s claimed to be.

I understand people are reluctant to embrace non traditional looking hi-fi gear, I was too when I first saw the Phantoms too, but active speakers like that are the future IMHO.

I’ve heard the Reactor 900 at my local hi-fi dealer and was impressed. They have a lot of the capacity of their large siblings but are only about a quarter of the size. I’d be interested in hearing a stereo pair when the option becomes available.
A couple of Reactors hooked up to a computer via optical or wireless would likely be a cracking setup.

My only criticism of the Phantom ecosystem is the old Spark app which I find pretty poor to be honest. That is due to be replaced this year though.

anjan

I have two phantom golds. I also have a XTZ3x12 sub in a 5:1:2 setup in my cinema room; and a XTZ1x12 in another smaller home theatre room.

I agree entirely with CMcK above. The bass is simply stunning. It actually retrained my ears as to what bass is supposed to sound like for music. The soundstage is fantastic.

Agree on the awful Spark software too.

I do hear good things about the KEFs mentioned above.

I'm upgrading my LCR speakers in the cinema room to include MK Sound IW300s. I will be interested to hear how that measures up to the Phantoms (driven currently by Arcam AV850)

Nilanth

I have heard these Phantom speakers at a relatives house and i have to say i was blown away by them, especially the bass.

The latest video from AVForums

Guardians of the Galaxy Xmas Special, Strange World, Bones and All, and Cabinet of Dr Caligari in 4K
Subscribe to our YouTube channel

Full fat HDMI teeshirts

Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom