People's Climate March Sunday Sept 21st

KiLLiNG-TiME

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The World Leaders' Climate Summit in New York this September will be a key moment in the fight against climate change. The march organised in New York aims to be the biggest climate demonstration the US has ever seen, and over 900 solidarity events are planned globally on the same weekend.

The Campaign against Climate Change is helping to organise thePeople's Climate March in London along with many other organisations including Avaaz, 350.org, UKYCC, People & Planet, Operation Noah, Wake Up London, Oxfam, Art Not Oil, BP or not BP, CAFOD, UCL Students' Union, Greenpeace UK, Rising Tide...

New - watch the inspiring documentary film, Disruption, below!.

Join the March! 12:30 pm Temple Place (Embankment) – Sunday Sept 21st

Help make it huge
Let your your friends know about it - on email, Twitter and Facebook

Get flyering! Flyers and posters are available from Fatima: [email protected]

Would you like to be a steward? Get in touch with Fatima - no experience necessary.

What's happening on the day?
12.15pm - Multi-faith gathering in Victoria Embankment Gardens

1pm - March sets off. Route here. Just join the throng or march along with the Fossil Free bloc, the families and children bloc, the 'BP or not BP' Viking longship, the trade union bloc, the Bike bloc, the Queer bloc...

1.45-2.45pm - Rally in Parliament Square

If you can’t join us in London, but want to get out and show your support, why not join one of the many other events being organised across the country. Below are only a selection but you can check out this page for any other event near you, or to publicise your own.

People’s Climate March Manchester
Start - 11am Piccadilly Gardens,
Frack Free Greater Manchester and the Greater Manchester Association of Trades Union Councils and others have organised a march through the centre of Manchester, focusing on the Labour Party Conference.
See here for more details

People’s Climate March and Gathering, Edinburgh
Starts- 1:30 with a picnic in the gardens next to The Mound, weather permitting.
The march itself starts at 2.30 regardless of weather, there will be some singing you are invited to join in with and will end at 4.30.
See here for details and updates

Sheffield Rivers Rally
A creative action in Sheffield to link with the People's Climate March in New York. We will walk along Sheffield's rivers, rallying at the Town Hall to show our support for urgent climate action to our city leaders and the UN summit. The river walks will gather at 1pm and the rally at the town hall will be at 3pm (tbc).
Join the Facebook event.

Gloucestershire Climate March
Start- 12pm, The Subscription Rooms, Stroud, GL5 1AE
They will be walking from The Subscription Rooms and ends in a rally and picnic in Rodborough: 1.5 km steep walk uphill! They will be calling on local government to commit to 100% clean energy and sharing the science around climate change
Bring a drum/ bell, bring a kite – to feel the power of the wind, and bring a picnic.
Details: www.gloscan.org.uk

Dudley - Climate: Action Not Words
Family event in Priory Park Pavillion and surrounding park land.(2pm-4pm) Including : Send a message to act now to leaders meeting in NY via a group photo @3pm. Deliver 100% fossil free petition to Local Government.Find out more

Disruption
Billed as "the film the fossil fuel industry doesn't want you to see", this documentary explains the climate crisis and how hundreds of thousands of people are being inspired to come together this weekend - could it be a climate movement tipping point?

People's Climate March London | Campaign against Climate Change

It is very unlikely any human activity will alter the course of natural climate change. Campaigns, marches and gatherings against climate change will achieve nothing.

I assume that all this stuff is about man-made climate change: pollutions, CO2 etc - if it is why not say so?

It's all natural
But anything that can help get rid of third world summers is OK by me

Rather than posting in AVF, the easiest way to get people to attend is to pay them like they are in New York... Looking for volunteers to pass out flyers at Climate March

New York is so expensive even volunteers need to be paid.

Until China agrees to significantly reduce their emissions its fairly pointless. America needs to bring theirs down too by maybe trying and get vehicle emissions testing in all states as a start.

New York is so expensive even volunteers need to be paid.

Follow the money...

The People's Climate March was organised by 350.org
350.org's primary sponsor is the Rockefellers Brothers Fund
RockeFellers Brothers Fund has divested itself of fossil fuels and invested in clean energy.

Now it is creating the necessary PR campaigns with events like the People's Climate March to convince people they need to give up fossil fuels and buy their clean energy products instead...

And consumer are consumers.

Follow the money...

The People's Climate March was organised by 350.org
350.org's primary sponsor is the Rockefellers Brothers Fund
RockeFellers Brothers Fund has divested itself of fossil fuels and invested in clean energy.

Now it is creating the necessary PR campaigns with events like the People's Climate March to convince people they need to give up fossil fuels and buy their clean energy products instead...

I am a little confused are you saying people shouldn't give up there fossil fuels, Or that you don't like where the money's going to go? Where it always goes where even your money goes now! as said above

Business is business and consumer are consumers...

Create & destroy & create again is this not the spirit & personification of capitalism? somebody always profits do they not? What is it that was said in Gladiator ah yes ...
Are you not entertained? Is this not why you are here !!

As you said in your first post why bother posting on AVF but for your information i was just posting the news on the day as it was happening around the world i wasn't posting to recruit anybody if i was i was a bit late for that don't you think.

@ Alan CD yes the title wasn't very clear was it but i just borrowed the heading from the page i linked to, but the way i see it there's only man-made climate change the rest as said is all natural.

Last edited:
How many 'climates' has the Earth had in the last 6 billion years? Which one is right? Just askin'

I am a little confused are you saying people shouldn't give up there fossil fuels, Or that you don't like where the money's going to go? Where it always goes where even your money goes now! as said above

Business is business and consumer are consumers...
@ Alan CD yes the title wasn't very clear was it but i just borrowed the heading from the page i linked to, but the way i see it there's only man-made climate change the rest as said is all natural.

OK.

Drilling down on the man-made climate change - what do the gatherings and marches hope to achieve? Also, who are they aimed at?

Why I ask is because if the protests are aimed at big multi-national businesses and rich-country governments then fair enough. However, huge organisations like the EU are trying to reduce the CO2 footprint with various energy-saving directives but encountering opposition and protests from the general public. Some governments are trying to meet green targets without much success because unpopular policies = reduced votes.

They use fossil fuel up getting there and back.
I would like to survey these people and find out what they do to reduce their carbon footprint.

Exactly. They probably all drove there (oil). Or used the subway (emissions from generating electricity). Their placards were no doubt made from trees in Brazil (trees absorb co2?). Their clothes made in the east and flown in huge jumbo jets around the world. I could go on. It's all a little hypocritical

OK.

Drilling down on the man-made climate change - what do the gatherings and marches hope to achieve? Also, who are they aimed at?

Why I ask is because if the protests are aimed at big multi-national businesses and rich-country governments then fair enough. However, huge organisations like the EU are trying to reduce the CO2 footprint with various energy-saving directives but encountering opposition and protests from the general public. Some governments are trying to meet green targets without much success because unpopular policies = reduced votes.
Its just about keeping the issue in the limelight isn't it before the rather large Climate Summit in New York that's why they marched to the seat of government in many country's.

Protest gatherings and marches what ever you want to call them have always been an effective (or not) way of making a collective voice heard their hard to ignore just look at the suffragettes or even history.

Am sure Martin Luther Kings civil rights movement understood the power of mobilizing the people as did all those that marched against South Africa's apartheid, not to mentioned those that were against the war in Iraq they may have been unsuccessfully but what does that matter they got there point across, I have no idea why people are upset when people take to the streets, what's the problem.

I would like to survey these people and find out what they do to reduce their carbon footprint.
Save trees by reading the Guardian on their iPads

Save water/electricity by rarely shaving, and that's not just the girls

They use fossil fuel up getting there and back.
You could ask the same questions of anybody, until we start building houses & an infrastructures that can function off the grid people will be reliante on the grid wont they, but you only have to look at another part of this forum to see that some people are doing what they can.
Renewable Energy & Energy Saving Forum | AVForums

Exactly. They probably all drove there (oil). Or used the subway (emissions from generating electricity). Their placards were no doubt made from trees in Brazil (trees absorb co2?). Their clothes made in the east and flown in huge jumbo jets around the world. I could go on. It's all a little hypocritical
Just because they live in todays world doesn't mean they don't want a better future does it.

Agreed. However unless they're doing absolutely everything to reduce their carbon footprint then I think it's hypocritical to be asking 'other' people to be changing their carbon consumption

Years ago I knew (briefly) one guy who went on like that blaming all these 'business men' yet he had as big a carbon footprint as anyone.
Hence 'briefly'.

Agreed. However unless they're doing absolutely everything to reduce their carbon footprint then I think it's hypocritical to be asking 'other' people to be changing their carbon consumption
I wouldn't know you have to ask them wouldn't you :)

I am not here to defend there march or them as individuals but I have no problem with any protest & neither should anybody else, least you ever wish to do the same about an issue.

Years ago I knew (briefly) one guy who went on like that blaming all these 'business men' yet he had as big a carbon footprint as anyone.
Hence 'briefly'.
Am sure there are loads of us that could do better me included :)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom