People with NA consoles in the UK. Question about using power conversion.

Rott

Standard Member
Reaction score
How reliable are power convertors? I'm moving to the UK in November and will be bringing my 360 among other consoles with me and wanted to know how good do these things work and are they reliable? I don't want to fry my console.

They are pretty reliable but get quite hot. You would probably be better getting a UK power supply from ebay.

wells said:
They are pretty reliable but get quite hot. You would probably be better getting a UK power supply from ebay.

The problem is that I have a few other things like my Xbox, DVD Player, Saturn, Dreamcast and few other consoles. Thats why I wanted to get one.

NackNack said:
Just get a UK power supply, much easier.

Obviously YOU didn't read my other post.

EDIT: If I get the Xbox 360 UK Power Supply won't it fry my console? I thought the voltage needed for the components inside are different from the UK one?

Rott said:
Obviously YOU didn't read my other post.

EDIT: If I get the Xbox 360 UK Power Supply won't it fry my console? I thought the voltage needed for the components inside are different from the UK one?
Obviously YOU need a lesson in manners.

Go work it out for yourself now, it's not hard to use a search function.

Now now lads - calm down :p

AFAIK, a UK power supply would work on a non-UK 360. The 360's themselves (i.e. the bit after the external PSU) all take the same input voltage, the PSU however expects a different voltage depending on country and regulates accordingly. This is an educated guess however and not gospel... it might be worth reading the specs on the bottom of the PSU to see it's input/output values. Someone here in the UK can do likewise (I'll do it when I get home if noone else has) which would give you a more definitive answer.

With regards to the other consoles, if they don't have external PSUs then you're scuppered - you'll need to get a voltage converter. As mentioned previously, they do get hot but should do the job fine.

Retain said:
Now now lads - calm down :p

AFAIK, a UK power supply would work on a non-UK 360. The 360's themselves (i.e. the bit after the external PSU) all take the same input voltage, the PSU however expects a different voltage depending on country and regulates accordingly. This is an educated guess however and not gospel... it might be worth reading the specs on the bottom of the PSU to see it's input/output values. Someone here in the UK can do likewise (I'll do it when I get home if noone else has) which would give you a more definitive answer.

With regards to the other consoles, if they don't have external PSUs then you're scuppered - you'll need to get a voltage converter. As mentioned previously, they do get hot but should do the job fine.

Thanks for your reply, I really appreciate it. I'm not well versed in stuff like this but this is the info I pulled out from my PSU.

Input AC
100-127V-5A 47-63 Hz

Output DC
203W
12V 16.5A(16,5A) 5Vsb 1A

That's what I got from it.

Cool - so if the DC Output on a UK power supply is the same, you know your 360 will work with a UK PSU.

Anyone care to check this please? If nobody's done this by the time I get home (about 4 and a half hours from now) then I'll check myself and post up here.

NackNack said:
Obviously YOU need a lesson in manners.

Go work it out for yourself now, it's not hard to use a search function.

I have read loads of your posts on these forums and you have to be the rudest person on here now that SuperSaiyan has gone. Why do you feel the need to be like that??

NackNack said:
As I've already said, a UK PSU works fine.

Indeed - but the OP was asking for confirmation, this is what I was trying to do for him. Tell you what - why don't you check your PSU for us and post what it says here?

As rude as NackNack is, he is correct about the power supplys. A UK power supply will work fine with ANY 360

beasty54 said:
As rude as NackNack is, he is correct about the power supplys. A UK power supply will work fine with ANY 360

Cool - cheers for that matey. Case closed then!

Ive just double checked to ease the OPs mind and the Output DC on my UK PSU is identical to the numbers on the US PSU

beasty54 said:
I have read loads of your posts on these forums and you have to be the rudest person on here now that SuperSaiyan has gone. Why do you feel the need to be like that??
:rotfl: Did you read the post I was responding to?
Retain said:
Indeed - but the OP was asking for confirmation, this is what I was trying to do for him. Tell you what - why don't you check your PSU for us and post what it says here?
Why? I already said it works fine, I use it myself as do many - the OP could have used the search function, as I had already pointed out (it's been asked a few times).

NackNack said:
:rotfl: Did you read the post I was responding to?

Yes i did read the post you were responding to, it wasn't rude at all.

You just need to chill out a little and stop gettin arsey with people if they ask something you dont like........I'm not going to get into an argument though because its not my thread and its pointless

Haha, right, but you'll intervene this far. Here you go:

"Obviously YOU didn't read my other post."

That's not rude? Hmm, okay.

NackNack said:
As I've already said, a UK PSU works fine. -

Yep and I also said it worked fine- post number 2 in this thread, why did it go on for so long?

Anyway, back to Rott's question, as far as your other devices are concerned, I would check the input voltages on everything. I have bought quite a few gadgets from the US that I use here in the UK. One for example is the PSP which has a dual voltage input for the battery charger, 110-240v input is acceptable so all you have to do is change the plug. Just having a look at some of my other stuff and my Nikon charger is the same, as are my mobile phone chargers and even my PC. The only thing that I can find that is NOT dual voltage is my 360.

Incidentally, I once surveyed a house in Yorkshire (i'm a Building Surveyor) that had an American family living in it. They had brought a lot of their stuff over and had had a 110v circuit (complete with US Sockets) wired into their house. I'm sure this must have cost a fortune and the transformer in the garage was the size of a washing machine. I think you therefore need to decide that if you are going to get a transformer, you should just get a small one and move the sfuff around that you use on it.

Wow - that's a long post.

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom