1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

People, Please comment on all DLP makes and models

Discussion in 'TVs' started by maidstoneman30s, Jul 25, 2005.

1. maidstoneman30s

maidstoneman30s
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :) Hi guys,
    Been a regular for a year or so, but been way too busy with work over last 3 months to keep a check on wots going on, even though avforums.com is my homepage.

ANYWAYS PEOPLE. I need your help.

As some of you know me and some of you dont, a quick recap.

I have the Toshiba 46WM48P, since January. Have had intermitent problem with HDMI feed. Narrowed it down to be the TV and not the Pana S97.

I have only wathced 10 DVD's in total since Mid March.

On the upside for this TV, I really do like the PQ overall, with SKY+, and DVD (HDMI)

Have been in contact with Costco, who are tops in this matter and have confirmed I can get it repaired or return it. Repair guys were here, but alas, better not say anything.

SSSOOOO, I have decided that I am going to return it, and either get me £1586 back and get something else or get another 46WM48P.

THIS IS WHERE U ALL COME IN.
    :lease: :lease: :lease: :lease: :lease: :lease: :lease: :lease: :lease:

Guys, and Girls. Those who have had TOSH 46WM's and have changed to another DLP, please give me your verdict on your new chosen item and whether its better or if you would go back to Tosh 46WM if you had the cash and time/hassle etc etc.

Guys and Girls, who have different DLP sets, please enlighten me as to WHAT TURNS you on on your set. If I am going to change I would really appreciate the input.

Guys and Girls of all sets. I know there can be technical issues with all sets, and in most cases can live with a little issue such as contrast settings, colour settings etc etc. However, I again would appreciate you mentioning your best parts of your DLP as well as mentioning the annoying bits of your set.

Just cause it may have an annoying habbit, doesnt mean I will dismiss it as a possible purchase.

PS, my MRS would also appreciate your help, CAUSE I HAVE BEEN ONE HELL OF A SOUR PUSS OVER THE LAST 4 MONTHS, as I buy DVD's but wont watch them as I %$*%$%king hate the black blip from the HDMI/TV input.

I will only watch them when I get my NEXT DLP with TROUBLE FREE HDMI viewing.

I know its a lot to ask, but we all like talking about our sets and I need to draw up a list of possible replacements.

CHEERRS for all your help in advance guys and girls
    :smoke: :smoke: :smoke

2. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,509
    Maidstone :hiya:

Sorry to hear of your troubles.

I love having a Big screen with no loss of quality, in fact I feel that the extra size improves on the detail as you can see allot more of what is happening on the screen. I like the excellent picture in HD and SD. Colours are good as is the Black detail. :D Overall finish of the cabinet is very high with a Piano black finish.

Low point is the lack of NTSC/60Hz compatibility, however I have found a work around with a pc. :thumbsup: This is th only low point I can find on this set.

If the Optoma RD65 is too big (crazy talk ;) ) I would look at the samsung 50'

Go for the bigget screen possible. You wont regret it, its a totally different experiance. Far more cinematic :rolleyes: :clap: and less like tv.

I spent many months staring at the RD65 and wondering if it was a tv or a mini cinema??? :confused:

:thumbsup:

3. ash

ash

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +383
    What set is that for?

4. av2diefor

av2diefor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think it is the optima r65,cracking dlp but cant play ntsc, region 1 dvd.

I think the optima were offering a refund at the time but razor can tell you best, as he is the dlp guru :)

5. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,509

Av2diefor :hiya:

Cheers, for the guru compliment :blush: :smashin:

Your right it is the Optoma RD65 :D

6. Dabs

Dabs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Razor,
    Bit upset you did'nt mention the Optoma RD50. :( LOVE mine.

7. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,509

Dabs :hiya:

The RD50 is a tricky on as it cant do 60Hz like the RD65. But the RD65 is a 65' screen and at present there is no alternative.
    With the RD50 you have the samsung as its rival and that can do 60hz and is the same sreen size 50'.

The RD50 is how ever a great DLP set and I am glad your happy with it. :thumbsup: Do you use a pc or scaller to get around the 60Hz issue? :confused:

:D

8. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    :hiya: Maidstoneman, Razor, and everybody else for that matter! :D

I returned my Tosh in the end and got the Sammy50 due to the constant panning blur, however i very much doubt that the HDMI problem that your referring to is isolated to only the Tosh. The Sammy also does it, i think its a design fault somewhere in the actual HDMI technology :devil:

There's going to be a lot of upset people about in January when HI-Def Sky kicks off :eek: as at the moment its only the ones with HDMI players that are noticing it. Although i must say the Sammy doesn't do it quite as much as the Tosh did. And yes, i have tried switching to 60hz as recommended by somebody on these forums, and that only brought about panning judder at ALL times. I would rather put up with the 2 second picture drop out every 90 minutes :)

9. maidstoneman30s

maidstoneman30s
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi there Guys,
    A wee little update for you. I brought the Tosh 46WM48P back to Costco. No worries there in crediting it. I got a new 46WM48P back home.

Took the same one, as firstly I like the look of it, it is the right size for my room and hoping that it would be the final end of the Black video blink.

Unfortunately,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,, the blink is still there on the brand new one as well.

So,,,, I should hopefully have a £5 HDMI lead from www.ebuyer.com arrive tomorrow, to test the HMDI lead. At present I have the £40 Profigold HDMI, so if it is that I wont be best pleased.

If its not the HDMI lead, its a case of finding a TV repair place, and take down my Pana S97 player and test the HDMI output from the player.

If its not that either, then it will be a call to COSTCO and get the service engineer called out.

SO , although not very happy, that I still wont watch my DVD collection, I am at least getting the time and energy to fault find and take more action.

SONI, how bad is the HDMI blink on the Samsung??????????
    PS, thanks very much for your input guys. :smashin: :smashin: :smashin: :smashin: :smashin: :smashin: :smashin:
    Its very much appreciated. If I am going to give this LAST TOSHIBA back, then I will be looking for alternatives.

10. Dabs

Dabs
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Hi Razor, :hiya:
    I gathered the reason for your Optoma was the size and the alternatives.
    As for the 60Hz issue,my computer has'nt a DV output or fast enough to cope, but all my DVD collection are region 2 anyway.
    By the way how are you going to get around the 1 DVI/HDMI input especially as SkyHD,Xbox360,Playstation3 are imminent?
    I already have my PannyS97 using the input.
    Are you gonna buy a splitter at the £200+ price?

11. Razor

Razor

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +12,509

Good question mate. I would rather buy a good AV reciever with multiple HDMI inputs than a swapper. It all depends on whats about. I want room for a HTPC, SKY HD, xbox360 and PS3. I dont really need to upgrade my reciever but it is 5.5 years old now so I dont really mind. I bet I end up changing the speakers as well. :suicide: Bloody AV as a hobby hey, it aint cheap. :nono:

:D :D :D

12. DLPMaybe

DLPMaybe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +53
    I use Sammy and HDMI with HTPC and have never seen the issue described. Must just be lucky :)

13. KableMan

KableMan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +87
    I swapped the 46" Toshiba for the 50" Samsung and I've never been happier.

Check out my other posts as I've said lots of favourable things about the samsung and posted some pictures too.

Bad Points: Selecting sources is too slow and you must cycle through them all in a round-robin - I preferred the Toshiba's quick select feature. The Panoramic Mode is rubbish i.e. is equivalent of the Super Live on the Toshiba - which is very good. So when watching 4:3 images I tend to use 14:9 instead as the stretching is minimal and the left and right black bars are reduced. Also - oddly - 16:9 often works better than Panoramic Mode. The green tint was an issue for a little while but has been eliminated through a combination correct colour output from my DVD player, not upscaling poor quality DVDs (as this results in noise and green blocking) and reducing green to zero (which oddly how no impact on the colour green!?).

Also what's the HDMI blink as I don't think I've ever experienced this?

Cheers
    KableMan

14. maidstoneman30s

maidstoneman30s
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  15. Hartigan

Hartigan
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Well I'm still pretty happy with my Tosh. So far none of the 'quirks' have manifested themselves - at least enough to annoy me. The only thing that does annoy me is the way it deals with a crappy signal from Sky. Most of the time it's fine, but when it's bad it's real bad.

I read in more than one review that the Sammys tend to make better use of these poor signals by 'softening' the picture slightly and giving a more 'cinematic' feel. I certainly would have opted for the SP50L7 if I could have accomadated the plinth, but the smaller versions didn't do it for me.

I couldn't live with the frostiness of the Sagems, and never had the chance to audition an Optoma. Therefore I bought the best of the bunch for me.

And so far no regrets... :smashin:

16. soni

soni
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    Sorry Maidstoneman, just noticed your post!

The blip is very infrequent, but in saying that it is unpredictable, as i can watch several films with no loss, and then another film will have 2 or 3 quick blips one after the other. I've read on these forums that selecting NTSC output from the DVD player will cure it, but i've tried that and although i have watched '1' film in NTSC output mode and it didn't suffer from any 'blips' - it did induce juddering instead all the time throughout the whole film - so i would rather put up with odd 'blip' from time to time!!!

As for this 'blip' are we talking about the same thing? As i've heard you refer to it as a 'black' blip - is that where the screen turns black? Cause mine turns 'blue'! Or could i be suffering from the 'blue blip' :)

17. maidstoneman30s

maidstoneman30s
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    :hiya: Soni,
    On the TOSH , model number 1 and 2, it was only a BLACK blip.
    I, or rather the mrs, fiddled with the remote control, ahhhh, got you lads there for a sec eyh. and she turned on the '''' video loss blue screen. ie, no signal, Tosh gives blue screen.
    On model number 3 Tosh, and its only the 1st week, two DVD films on S97 player with Profigold HDMI leads, 1st film black blips, and 2nd film a few too many to mention black blips.

And I was soooooo hoping to take the plunge last week to go to COSTCO, hand the 2nd unit back, and the 3rd, being the Jewel in the crown, the needle in the Haystack. THE TV that was troubleFREE. Low and behold, its just as bad on the blips as the others.

I am now testing another HDMI lead tomorrow and if that fails , yet again the S97. If still got blips after that, I will keep it, til I can find an alternative.

I will try and get as many new demos as possible, and as always, take all peoples advice, hints, suggestions and their views.

maidstoneman30s