People here know me as an alcoholic...

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Foebane72, Feb 20, 2014.

1. Foebane72

Foebane72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    ...but frankly, from drinking half-bottles to bottles of cider every day, for the last several weeks now, my drinking has plummeted massively from that, simply because it's lost its appeal.

I already don't smoke or take drugs, so this is possibly the last vice dealt with.

These days, my main drinks consist of water, Tetley tea with milk and sugar and for my main meal, Tesco Bitter Shandy (mainly because my doctor said I should not stop alcohol outright) - BUT, the Bitter only makes up 11% and the rest is essentially soft drink, so it doesn't really count as alcohol. I happen to like the taste more than other juices and soft drinks.

There is a reason for this stoppage: my doctor has reported "abnormal" liver function results for the last several months, so I decided it was time to do something about it. Just yesterday I had an ultrasound scan of my beer belly to determine any problems there, but I've yet to definitively find out.

I stopped drinking because alcohol was actually interfering with my sleep; I hated having to go to the toilet and have drinks of water so often during the night.

I also stopped drinking because it had become a habit, which also cost me money. Now I feel better, although my sleeping hours have shifted a bit, ie. I'm up until the early hours of the morning and will finally sleep before noon. It also did nothing for me except make me sleepy, and was skewing my liver.

I started full-blown alcoholism in early 2002 and only now am I stopping substantially, and am only annoyed I didn't do it sooner.

2. x3j3UKN

x3j3UKN

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +647
    Good luck, At least you have taken steps to stop this from continuing to ruin your life. Well done.

3. GaseousClay

GaseousClay
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,945
    I'll drink to that... soft drink obviously.

Yes all the best for the future

4. bluedroog

bluedroog

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,409
    Good for you, I hope by documenting it on here that will serve as an encouragement to keep it up. Your dr is right, I'm pretty sure going cold turkey from alcohol can be fatal, compared to say heroin which isn't.

It is amazing how much damanage alcohol can do to the liver, I got I'll in Greece and had to have a scan to see if I was ok to take the amount of IV antibiotics they needed to give me, the young Greek dr asked after my scan "you like football?" "Yes" I said "how did you know" he replied looking at my scan "you like football and get drunk with friends very much!"

My old man was an alcoholic most of my childhood so know the damage it can cause, not just for your self but those around you.

I have to say I try not to drink too often but am guilty of enjoying the feeling of getting drunk as apposed to tipsy, I'm only 30 but already these days if I go on a lads weekend and we drink for three days in a rowing can actually feel my organs bloat and ache, the body knows when it has had enough!

I suspect though when one has a dependence the opposite may be true and at first you feel worse without it, my mum always used to say a tell tail sign with my dad was after a party he'd be the only one without a hangover.

5. Desmo

Desmo
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6,718
    Stick with it Foebane and good luck. It can only be a good thing :)

6. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,627
    Very interesting post and I'm wondering if anyone else read the Dr part in a Chinese accent in their head despite him being Greek.....

Last edited: Feb 20, 2014
  7. oakland

oakland

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +198
    Better late than never matey. Very best of luck. :)

8. gibbsy

gibbsy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,618
    I applaud your honesty and wish you every luck in the future. Stick with the Tetley tea boyo, but have you tried Yorkshire, now that nice.:smashin:

• Like Like x 1
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  9. Foebane72

Foebane72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    I've been going for long walks when I can, and I've been told that my belly may eventually go down if I stay off the booze and cut down on carbs as well.

In fact, I'd swear I can see a difference already, although it may be wishful thinking.

10. Trollslayer

Trollslayer
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,966
    This can happen to any of us, good for you.
    Please keep us updated.

11. robel

robel

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,487
    An old mate of mine, hid a cider habit. He would have days where he would wake up and start drinking and not eat just drink. He was a very successful guy with a Bentley and a Porsche. He had a great job, lifestyle, women. But the drink got him in the end.

He died just before Xmas last year aged just 48.

12. Trollslayer

Trollslayer
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +10,966
    :(

13. Foebane72

Foebane72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    Sorry to hear that, Robel. :(

14. mitre

mitre

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +313
    Foebane72 well done! It takes a good amount of determination to give up a well established vice.

15. rousetafarian

rousetafarian

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +15,610
    The post from Foebane is probably the most honest, pleasing post I'll read on here today and for a long time......good for you!

I hope you enjoy life more when the haze has finally lifted.

Good job!

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Thanks Thanks x 1
    • List
  16. bumpymark

bumpymark

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +88
    i agree with you roustafarian re the post been honest it takes a lot to admit that you have a drink problem and to be seen to tackle it head on! good luck for the future and not only will your health benefit so will your wallet-think of the av gear you can buy with the money you save!

17. kav

kav
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13,816
    Good for you Foebane.

18. reiteration

reiteration
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9,336
    good work fella :)

19. oakie

oakie

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +194
  20. Peridot

Peridot

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +293
    Good on you Foebane. I know you as someone whose posts I sometimes disagree with, sometimes agree with, but always find interesting. It's people like you that keep me interested in the dialogue on GC, so you shouldn't feel that people know you as any one thing.

We all have our vices to deal with and I admire your strength in tackling yours [​IMG]

21. Axel40

Axel40
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +272
    Binge Drinking is where it's at :clap:
    Wait until the Weekend and do a Whole weeks worth in two days :smashin: Occasionally done that, actually....
    Or, Ignore me and do the Wimp way of a half to a *whole* Bottle of cider every DAY!!! :eek:
    Scuse me, I wish you the very best....I am just drunk. Hey, it's a Weekend ;)

Sincerely,take care.
    It's a Looooong road, I guess!

22. johntheexpat

johntheexpat
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,811
    Excellent!

I suppose now isn't the time to point you in the direction of threads about how bad sugar in drinks is for you.

(But if you can change your shandy habit for a zero calorie "fix" then the weight loss is easier and you step back from other potential problems)

Good luck. But remember, we are now all watching you (cos we care) and we will be on you like a tonne of bricks if you slip up.

23. Foebane72

Foebane72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    Had an ultrasound scan on my belly the other week to determine what could be causing the abnormal blood test results, and only this morning have I finally gotten the results:

I have an enlarged liver, it seems.

The doctor has put it down to the alcohol consumption and ordered me to stay off the booze until another blood test three months down the road, which could be hard for me as I've already had cravings and given in to them at least twice, but I immediately had sleep interruptions and went off it again. That was about two-three weeks ago.

She also took my weight to compare with last time: no loss, the same.

Damn.

24. shodan

shodan
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +7,627
    But no gain either matey so its not all bad eh!:thumbsup:

25. Foebane72

Foebane72

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +279
    I guess the doctor only has my best interests at heart, of course: she looked disappointed when I told her I'd had the relapse. I also told her about my surgery yesterday; she didn't even know I'd had the lumps in my arms!

It could be because in the last year I have switched medical practices to one closer to me, and as far as I know they still don't have my medical history. And I've seen at least three different doctors in the new place, except the one doctor who's dealing with my alcoholism.

The thing is, I thought I'd told her about it, but I think it actually was at the hospital, not at the practice - I had an appointment at the hospital months ago to confirm what the lumps were and if I wanted them removed.

26. safcalibur

safcalibur
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4,271
    Foebane, I really admire your honesty mate and best of luck to you. I work in the drug and alcohol sector and deal with things like this on a daily basis. Just a couple of pointers for you (apologies if you already know this).

Usually people with an alcohol misuse problem will be severely depleted of certain viatmins specifically B vitamins and thiamine. GP's will usually prescribe these if you are trying to detox. If you experience shakes or fits they are usually an indication of physical dependence in which case a much more controlled/monitored detox maybe required.
    There should be a drug and alcohol service available in your area, it may be a good idea to either self refer or ask your GP to refer you. You can get a lot of one to one support as well as group support which are either recovery focussed I.e learning to control your drink or abstinence focussed like AA depending on what is offered. If the doc has advised you to completely stop then AA might be an idea.

Lastly keep a diary of your drinking and also thoughts feelings and actions which lead you to drink I.e what thought you had, how it made you feel and what action you took and then what you could have done different. It may be that some kinds if counselling may be in order after a short period of abstinence.

Please pm me mate if you need any further help or advice would be more than happy to oblige.

Good luck mate you'll pull through I'm sure.

Best

Saf

27. jonna

jonna
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,599
    My brother in law is an alcoholic and he is an absolute pain in the arse, he wants sympathy all the time, he abuses relationships, he constantly asks for fags and money, he looks dirty,he is embarrassing and not the same person I was best mates with 30 years ago.
    Get off it before it ruins your and your friends and families lives.

28. Digital Tench

Digital Tench
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +906
    Good luck

29. jonna

jonna
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,599
    Quick update, my brother- in-law is now in a care home after being diagnosed with Korsakoff's syndrome. The future looks very bleak, his memory is shot, he thinks he's on holiday and his wife is in the next room ( she died last year). 57yrs old, sad end to a life.

30. swiftpete

swiftpete

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,294
    That is sad but at least he thinks he's on holiday and his wife is close by, so although he's lost the plot at least he's happy in his final days.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • List