Dismiss Notice
Attention AVForums app / Tapatalk users
Sadly GDPR means that, from 25th, we can no longer offer access to AVForums via the branded app or Tapatalk.
Click here for more information.

Pentuim M or Pentuim 4 HT?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Frazal666, Jan 29, 2005.

1. Frazal666

Frazal666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hello everyone. I am getting a Laptop (If I ever decide which) soon, but just dont know whether P4 with HT or PM. I have read so many benchmark reviews my brain feels like exploding!:mad:

But first, is a Laptop with 512MB RAM (Upgrade later to 1GB) good with 128MB Shared grahics? Or should I get Dedicated Graphics? (Dont include price comparison). I need to know this beforeI say anything else or I am going to overclock myself!:laugh:

2. broona

broona

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +685
    If you want to play games, it has to be dedicated graphics rather than shared, always going to be faster. Radeon 9700/9800 would be good, X700/6600 would be great. :)

3. Frazal666

Frazal666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ok. What about Radeon 9600 Pro Turbo? I got two laptops, one with 9600 Pro Turbo and 9700. Both have 128MB. Which is better? Then I can start about the Processor.

4. broona

broona

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +685
    In a desktop, a 9700 will ALWAYS outperform a 9600, even in XT spec, I can only assume that's the same for a notebook, but stand to be corrected.....

5. Frazal666

Frazal666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have sent an E-mail to ATI asking which is best. Ok, now for the Processor. I have a choice between two Dell Laptops customized by Myself. One is the 9100 and the other is the 8600 (6000 eliminated cause of shared graphics).

The 9100 has a Pentium 4 with HT, 800mhz fsb, 1MB L2 Cache. The 8600 has a Pentium M, 400mhz fsb, 2MB L2 Cache. P4 has Radeon 9700 and 8600 has 9600 Pro Turbo. Both has WSXGA+. Which to choose? I dont know. Please help.

I will be using my laptop for Gaming, Video/Audio Encoding, DVD Watching/Burning, and maybe even some 3D Moddeling (In a game, you use a 3D Moddeler to design your own Car!). I am leaning towards the P4 HT, probaly beacause of the Name! (It sounds good).

Please, Please help. SOS!

6. Leporello

Leporello

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Go for the Pentium M it's a much better option on a laptop. Big numbers don't make big performance. Your battery life will be considerably better with the Pentium M and the performance difference of marginal significance in real World terms.
    BTW I have a Pentium IV HT laptop, regretfully, plus a couple of desktops. You may be interested to know that some manufacturers are making desktop boards using Pentium M CPUs. Their raison d'etre is that the generated less heat making for a quieter system and their small size is ideal for living room PCs attached to AV systems.

All this chatter about the relative merits of graphics cards in laptops is a minor consideration in selecting a modern laptop.

7. broona

broona

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +685
    If you're going to have it connected to the mains most of the time, I'd go for the Pentium 4. If it's actually going to be used as a portable, the Pentium M would be the best choice, as the battery life is usually significantly better. From what I've read, the P4 will be better for encoding/transcoding too, but I don't think there's too much in it.

8. Frazal666

Frazal666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Sorry, forgot to mention clock speeds (Overclocked myself! Again). The P4 has 3.4 GHZ and the PM has 1.7 GHZ.

Ill probaly go for the P4, cause it'll be plugged to the mains 85% of the time. So because of this, I dont really worry about battery life. I will never have it on for more than 1.5 hours on battery if I'm watching a movie. If anything else, wont be on for more than 1 Hour. It seems like the PM is more for the traveller (Im a fat lazy bast*rd:laugh: ), so I guess ill go for the P4.

If I choose the P4, ill have £50 left from my prediction of a grand (It costs £950) to spend on another memory upgrade to 1024MB. The PM costs exactly one grand, and a slightly older video card.

Thanks for your help guys. Man apprecieates it:thumbsup: .

9. Kahless725

Kahless725

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If you want it for games get the 9700 over the 9600 definately.

If you want it for processor tasks get the Pentium 4 HT. (eg using FFDshow to play DVD's)

If you want it to be portable for more than 1.5/2 hrs get the Pentium M.

If you tell us exactly what you are expecting from it then we can advice you better.
    What will you use it for?

Robert.

10. Frazal666

Frazal666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Firstly, Im almost never going to use it on battery. I will almost always have plugged into a mains socket. Ill be watching/listening to DVD's and music (A lot of music). I would suspect that Music is not significantly affected, as my current system (Trust me, its crap) can play it fine. DVD's arnt all that, probaly because of the monitor (And the video card).

I will be playing some intense (I suppose they are) games. Games like Need for speed underground 2, Fifa 2005 (A must), any other of the latest games. I think the fact that the Laptop with P4 has the Radeon 9700 knida had somethin to do with me choosing the P4.

I will be doing a lot of Video Burning (I take that has encoding included), as I will be downloading LOADS of videos and burnning them. Editing them will be all the time. I might edit more videos than I watch. I may even do some Audio encoding. Only MP3, like changing the bitrate so that it can fit into my mobile.

With Need for speed, i will be using a 3D modeller thing to design my own cars. On my current computer, I had NFS 4 (The underground 2 is NFS 8), and the modelling that I used to do with that used to take forever. Move a vertice and it will take a couple of seconds. Move only about a 10th of the total vertices, it would take minutes. Maybe 10 Minutes.

I will be connecting this to my TV via the S-Video port, but I guess that wont really be affected by the Processor. Soon I will buy an external TV card, so record from a TV onto the Laptops hard drive.

I think that is all the intense apllications. I do E-mail, internet surfing, etc., but I can do that comfortably with my current computer. Hope this helps you to help me. Thanks.

11. Kahless725

Kahless725

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    You don't need a laptop my friend. You need a desktop PC and for £1000 you could have more HDD space, a faster graphics card and the ability to upgrade the graphics card larger hdd at a later date. You will also be able to add a tv card easier.

For £1000 this includes £230 for a decent 17 inch LCD monitor, plus a decent non daft laptop sized keyboard and mouse.

Robert.

PS. If its a desktop pc I reccomend a 3200 Athlon 64 939 pin variety.

12. Kahless725

Kahless725

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Example spec for just over £1K with 320GB Raid 1 HDD:-

DESCRIPTION QUANTITY PRICE COST
    Asus A8N-SLi nForce4 SLi (Socket 939) PCI-Express Motherboard (MB-101-AS) 1
    £92.50 £92.50
    AMD Athlon 64 3200+ Winchester 90nm (Socket 939) - Retail (CP-097-AM) 1
    £117.95 £117.95
    Crucial 512MB DDR PC3200 CAS3.0 Dual Channel Kit (2x256MB) (MY-040-CR) 1
    £47.50 £47.50
    Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 10 NCQ 160GB 6B160MO SATA 8MB Cache - OEM (HD-047-MD) 2
    £52.50 £105.00
    LiteOn SOHW-1653S Dual Layer 16x DVD±RW ReWriter - OEM (CD-037-LO) 1
    £37.90 £37.90
    Asus Extreme N6600GT GeForce PCX6600 GT 128MB DDR3 TV-Out/DVI (PCI-Express) - Retail (GX-055-AS) 1
    £124.95 £124.95
    IIyama ProLite E435S-B 17" LCD Monitor - Black (MO-028-IY) 1
    £189.00 £189.00
    Microsoft Wireless Optical Desktop v2.0 - OEM (KB-018-MS) 1
    £24.30 £24.30
    Akasa Eclipse-62 Aluminum Case (CA-005-AK) 1
    £72.95 £72.95
    Antec NeoPower 480W ATX2.0 PSU (CA-022-AN) 1
    £74.95 £74.95
    Subtotal £887.00
    VAT £155.23
    Total £1,042.23

Ability to add a second 6600 GT graphics card at a later date in SLI mode.

Of cause the laptop sounds nice too, but wond be as upgradable.

13. Frazal666

Frazal666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Over the past month I have been leaning back and forth to choosing a Desktop PC or a laptop. Only reason I want a laptop is to sit out in my garden and the ability to relax with the sun in my eyes (In the summer). I definetly want a laptop. But the thing that worries me is exactly what you said: upgradability. Please think of a solution for me. I really dont want to find that in a year my PC is out of date: need of upgradability. But then again, I want to relax in the sun. Is there any way of having both?

14. Kahless725

Kahless725

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmmm. Its a difficult one. I just think for the money your going to be dissapointed in any laptop for playing games. But then again the laptop is a nice concept to be sat out playing in the garden and with a 9700 you should be allright with stuff like doom as long as you dont expect to have it on the high settings.

Looking at the two laptops you have chosen. I imagine they will both offer the same limited upgradability but the P4 version (9100) seems to have a higher quality screen, an important aspect if you expect to see it in direct sunlight, wether either will be suitable for outdoor viewing I don't know. Also on a personal level the 9100 has a DVI output so I could plug it in to the projector with DVI instead of VGA. For games I would choose the lower res screens as I doubt that the 9700 would handle the higher reses you can get the laptop in. If you do go for it with a widescreen also bear in mind that you will have to edit ini files in most games to get them to use the full widescreen. (it is worth doing though as you get to see allot more to the left and right of your field of view)

15. Kahless725

Kahless725

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    PLUSES:-

9100:-
    Better screen
    Better graphics
    Faster processor (by a bit)
    Better for games

8900:-
    3.5 hrs battery as apposed to 1.5 on the 9100

16. Frazal666

Frazal666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well, Ive seen somewhere on a forum that laptops are now accepting PCI Express. I guess these are upgradable. I could get a decent graphics laptop and upgrade it later to the MAX. Im gonna have a look in google for some. If you have some spare time, could you also possibly look as well?

Its a good idea about sitting outside playing games innit? It might be one desire too far though, unless I find a PCI Express laptop for a grand or less.

Thanks

17. Kahless725

Kahless725

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    http://www.laptopshop.co.uk/acer-aspire_1802_wsmi-laptop-1-n2.htm

Notable for X600 graphics card and pci express although its only 64MB.
    And looking on the acer web site it doesnt explain wether when it says pci e graphics that it is expandable to another graphics card. In fact I suspect that any PCI e graphics card notebook means that it has a PCI e graphics card that is not expandable.

If you ask me the only way you could improve on a notebook you buy today is to sell it on ebay 2 years later for half of what you bought it for and upgrade at the same cost you spent today.

18. Frazal666

Frazal666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Looks like Ill have to do that. Also a good excuse for getting a brand new laptop later too. Maybe 64-bit stuff will be out by 2007. Thanks anyway

19. Kahless725

Kahless725

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    At that reckoning though its not bad if you consider it will then cost just £250 a year to have a new notebook every two.

20. Frazal666

Frazal666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    mmm, uno, thats not bad. in fact, if you think about it, its acctually cheaper than upgrading it every now and then.

21. Frazal666

Frazal666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Now I am worried about the graphics card capabilities. Like, if it can deal with SXGA+, not to mention widesreen. Im going to have to look for reviews. Ill holla back if I find anythin.

22. Frazal666

Frazal666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I read a review about the 9600 pro turbo compared to the 9700, and it said that 9700 ever so slightly struggled with 1280 x 1024 (SXGA), and WSXGA+ is 1600 x 1024. I think I will get the WXGA at 1366x768, at least I will know that I will not regret the high resolution. All in all, it seems like a great card, if you set the resolution to a compatible level.

23. Kahless725

Kahless725

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  24. Frazal666

Frazal666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Is that good? And what is AA? It says on the second graph 4x AA.

25. Kahless725

Kahless725

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Anti Aliasing, removes jaggies.

Put another way I have a 9700 Pro and am happy with the doom3 performance on medium quality the 9700 doesnt look that far behind.

26. Frazal666

Frazal666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hopefully not too far behind. Do you mean medium quility by the res?