1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pentium Mobile vs desktop processor speeds and mobile as desktop replacement

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by ianh64, Oct 12, 2005.

1. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    My aging laptop (650Mhz/500Mhz P3) is on the blink and I am thinking that it may be time to be replaced.

Looking at processor speeds, there appears to be a big disparity between mobile procesors and 'real ones'. For instance, the Dell Precision M20 has Pentium M Processor 770 (2.13GHz, 2MB L2 Cache, 533MHz FSB) and Intel 915PM chipset but a year ago I bough an HP 'laptop' for my father in law which had a >3GHz P4 with HT. I have also seen some el cheapo notebooks with processors of 1.5GHz.

What is the real difference between say a Pentium M 770 at 2.13GHz and a true P4 at > 3GHz. What about against dual core or 64 bit and is this technology on its way to laptops too?

If there is not much difference, I may seriously consider also replacing my aging Quad P3/550 Xeon 1.75GB RAM workstation with KickA$$ OpenGL that I use for 3D OpenGL modeling and rendering with just the one solution. Surely a modern laptop can beat this 6 year old PC even if a laptop would only have one processor and a limited size display? The alternative is an el cheapo laptop then a decent 64 bit dual core desktop at a later date when my 3D application can take advantage of 64bit processing.

Thanks

Ian

2. Skunkpipe

Skunkpipe

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    the Pentium M chips have a larger (2MB) cache compared to the desktop versions, and this is where a good deal of there performance increase comes from.

Personally, after trying all solutions available I'm a big fan of the dual core AMD chips, these run very cool and are very powerful, and using AMD cool'NQuiet technology if you get a decent heatsink can run fanless unless under large loads, and even then this can be done quietly. That and the fact there's a greater choice of S939 boards available would be my recommendation out of the 2 if building a PC. For laptops though, Pentium M is the king for now

3. jaymz

jaymz

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +60
    I looked into this for my work about a year ago and at the time (IIRC) Intel where quoting that a P-M 1.7GHz performed similarly to a P4-M 2.6GHz. Unfortunately Intel have removed this performance comparison from their website.

4. Monty Burns

Monty Burns

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +139
    A friend of mine was JUST talking about Acer Ferrari laptops. I don't know much about them apart from he is extremley pleased with his and chose it over Alienware (money is not a consideration for him).

An important point to note is that these are Desktop replacements, they are laptops but, usualy a bit bigger and heavier than what you might expect.

Happy hunting!

5. meansizzler

meansizzler

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +266
    Well I tested a Pentium M 1.86GHZ CPU, played 720P WMVHD content back on it and it ran fine with 60% CPU USage..

6. nwgarratt

nwgarratt
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,840
    A Pentium M 1.6ghz is actually equal or better a P4 2.4ghz in performance. I have one in my Acer laptop and it is considerably faster than my Athlon XP 2000 which is also 1.6ghz.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pentium_M

It is even faster when I use power management software to reduce the processor speed from 1.6ghz to just 600mhz. I can get another hours worth of battery and it is perfectly fast enough for word processing and Internet. I can also get another 50 minutes of battery when playing a DVD compared to running the processor at full speed.

7. willsy2

willsy2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +31
    I'm running a Pentium M 1.7Ghz overclocked to 2.16Ghz and it beats my 2.4 overclocked to 3Ghz machine on most benchmarks (superpi etc) is miles quieter and runs a whole lot cooler. Not sure how accurate the Winbond software is but the Pentium M runs at 19 dec C on idle and never goes above 35 deg C under full load.
    I would like to try an AMD socket 939 as they seem to be a good choice for running cool, and a lot cheaper than going for the Pentium M system.

8. ianh64

ianh64

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +63
    Thanks everyone. Very useful. Thanks to nwgarratt for the link - explains alot especially M technology being based on P3 design - I remember when they introduced the 1.4 P4's at work that they were computationally similar to our 600Mhz P3's.

Skunkpipe, I like the idea of AMD64 3800 Dual Core alot. Having used genuine 64 bit processing on a 64 bit OS for the last 12 years and quad processors on Wintel for the last 6, going back to single processor 32bit architecture for 3D design work always seemed a backward step to me even if processor speeds were significantly faster.

Looks like finding an M powered laptop that runs 3D at decent speeds for client presentation may be affordable enough to allow me to also buy a workstation replacement when true 64 bit apps on the Wintel platform finally catch up with the hardware.

Thanks all.

-Ian