1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pentium D - How fast, better than Pentium 4?

Discussion in 'Desktop & Laptop Computers Forum' started by Frazal666, Jul 10, 2005.

1. Frazal666

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Hey everyone,

I am looking to buy a new computer (I was supposed to buy one a few moths ago, but didn't in fear of wasting money just before this proccesor is released) and customized my own at dell.co.uk. On the dimension xps gen 5, I have the option of choosing P 4 670 (3.80GHz, 800FSB, 2MB cache) or P D 840 (3.20GHz, 800MHz FSB, 2MB cache), and seeing as D has 'dual proccesors', I chose that.

My problem(s) is, when it says 'dual' does it mean 2* 1.6ghz or 2* 3.2ghz? And does the P D have the em64t extension? Also, which is better out of the P D 3.2ghz and the P 4 3.8ghz? Im guessing the 4 as it's more expensive. Is there any faster P D processors coming out soon? Finally, can you find any laptops with a Pentium D proccesor? Ive looked, but no luck.

One more thing, will my 32-bit applications (and 32-bit windows for that matter) get any performance boost at all by using a 64-bit proccesor?

2. mjn

Distinguished Member

May 24, 2001
    Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Herts, England
    It's 2 x 3.2ghz cores on one CPU.
    The dual core is generally better.
    Yes, it has 64bit extensions.
    I very much doubt you'll see any laptops with a dual core, due to the amount of heat produced!
    You'll only see a speed difference under a 64 bit OS, such as Linux 64, or XP 64.

You could always use www.google.co.uk to find this info, or is it true that people are getting more lazy?