1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pentax Optio S Versus Casio Exilim EX-Z3?

Discussion in 'Photography Forums' started by DaveH, Sep 29, 2003.

1. DaveH

DaveH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Hi all,

I am interested in buying my 1st digital camera.
    After a lot of research I am down to 2:
    - Pentax Optio S
    - Casio Exilim EX-Z3

I am not sure which one to choose. I like the Pentax camera because of its size and I like the Casio camera because of its big screen.
    Which one do you think I should pick?

The price is similar to both.

Many thanks.

2. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,070
    AFAIK, the performance of these two is virtually identical. The lens and image chips are absolutely identical. Any differences are going to be slight, if at all. It's down, I think, to the one you prefer the look and feel of and/or can get the best deal on.

I got the Pentax. It works just fine, and is so small and light that you can comfortably take it with you anytime, anywhere. It was chosen for precisely that reason, and was selected over the Casio simply because it was available at a very competitive price from Makro Cash&Carry.

3. woody67

woody67

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I have the Optio and bought it speicifically for its' smaller size. The rear thumb controller joystick can be a bit fiddley, but I live with it (I don't change settings much anyway).

The Casio has a bigger screen, but it has a lower resolution so it is not as detailed. However, I can see the advantage of it purely for framing the shot. I think the casio also has some slightly different exposure modes too.

The casios docking/charging station is very useful, the Optio has a USB lead for file transfer, and a separate charger - the battery has to be taken out of the camera to charge it- which is a bit annoying

The cameras are essentially equal, so I think you should pick on what features you will use - but separate the features from the gimicks.

You won't go wrong with either camera for general, and first time digital use.

Oh, and I don't know about the casio, but the pentax does not come with a SD memory card - you have to allow for a separate purchase in the price. It does have built in memory though for a few pictures

4. LV426

LV426
    Administrator Staff Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +5,070
    Interesting.......one factor that went into my purchase choice was precisely that the battery DID need to be charged out of the camera. I find it much more convenient to have two batteries, to swap them when one is discharged, reacharge the flat one out of the camera, whilst continung to take pictures with the charged one! As for docking stations - take up too much room. A USB cable does the job just fine.

Agreed that extra memory is a requirement. On the high street, my local shop@panasonic have Panny branded ones for GBP40 for 128mb - this is substantially less than same size chips at Dixon$ and a little less than at Je$$ops.

5. DaveH

DaveH

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +20
    Thank you all for your input.

I think I'll go with the pentax.

Many thanks.

6. rowbos

rowbos

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    You wont regret it, had mine for a month now, lots of good photos and its SO easy to carry around.

Steve.

7. obrother

obrother

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    I have the Casio and am very happy with it. Have also stuck a 256MB Kodak SD card in it from ebuyer (less than £60 delivered).

8. BigAde

BigAde

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +23
    Anyone had any experience of the new Optio S4 ? The same as the Optio S, but with 4Mp. Can't find a review of it anywhere, so I guess it's too new to tell.