Pensioners get lucky for a change

Pecker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Huddersfield, People's Republic of Yorkshire
Nice little piece on the news this morning put a smile on my face.

Apparently the inflation figures are due out today, and it looks like we're going to hit 5%, more or less.

So what's good about that? Well, prices are now actually starting to fall. Petrol is coming down, and it's predicted will hit 99.9p per litre soon, fuel bills are going to fall for the same reasons, food prices are dropping and we might see bread dipping to under £1 a loaf, and by early next year they were predicting that inflation might fall so low that it goes negative.

But here's the really good bit. Whilst pensioners get their increase in April, it's based on the rate of inflation announced today. So, in April we should see inflation of around 0%, but pensioners getting a 5% inflationary increase.

This is particularly pleasing as pensioners seem to have been getting the worst of it recently, so it's nice to see the luck of the draw fall their way for a change.

Steve W

Petrol is coming down, and it's predicted will hit 99.9p per litre soon, fuel bills are going to fall for the same reasons, food prices are dropping and we might see bread dipping to under £1 a loaf, and by early next year they were predicting that inflation might fall so low that it goes negative.

You seriously believe all that?

i dont believe it i reckon it will hold at those values for a few years and that will be come the new price baseline.

Pensioners and University staff :) Just been confirmed we're getting the 5% as well which takes us to 8% for this year. Nice but still won't cover the increased fuel prices we've been paying for months

Nice little piece on the news this morning put a smile on my face.

Apparently the inflation figures are due out today, and it looks like we're going to hit 5%, more or less.

So what's good about that? Well, prices are now actually starting to fall. Petrol is coming down, and it's predicted will hit 99.9p per litre soon, fuel bills are going to fall for the same reasons, food prices are dropping and we might see bread dipping to under £1 a loaf, and by early next year they were predicting that inflation might fall so low that it goes negative.

But here's the really good bit. Whilst pensioners get their increase in April, it's based on the rate of inflation announced today. So, in April we should see inflation of around 0%, but pensioners getting a 5% inflationary increase.

This is particularly pleasing as pensioners seem to have been getting the worst of it recently, so it's nice to see the luck of the draw fall their way for a change.

Steve W

Are you sure you're not a government spin doctor

That does sound just a little too good to be true. Inflation at 0% by April? Not sure that will happen.

Are you sure you're not a government spin doctor

What a strange comment.

I specifically didn't mention the government or any political party.

I specifically used the word 'lucky'.

I specifically pointed out that previously pensioners had been getting the worse of things recently (presumably under the current government).

How exactly is that me being a government spin doctor?

It seems to me that if you report any good news here at all, you must be some sort of communist.

Steve W

This years price increases will still be in place so we are only playing catchup. If you don't mind i'll not be singing anyone praises or thanking my lucky stars. All our standards of living took a BIG hit this year. :thumbsdow

Inflation at 0% by April? Not sure that will happen.

It will if the Government jiggle about with the items that are used to calculate the inflation rate. It is likely that heating costs, mortgage payments and food will be taken off the index to be replaced by plasma screens, HD DVDs and shares in banks

It'll be okay for a couple of months, but longer term 0% inflation isn't a good thing. But at least it'll be better than the 'stagflation' we'd all been promised.

It will if the Government jiggle about with the items that are used to calculate the inflation rate. It is likely that heating costs, mortgage payments and food will be taken off the index to be replaced by plasma screens, HD DVDs and shares in banks

That definitely won't happen. No government can make wholesale changes of that nature to the way in which inflation is calculated.

Strangely enough, it's the heating costs and food prices that'll bring inflation down. They've rocketed up recently, and are about to experience a bounce downwards.

Well, that's the idea. We shall, of course, see soon enough.

Back to my original point, I'm really happy for the pensioners.

Steve W

Pecker:
Petrol is coming down, and it's predicted will hit 99.9p per litre soon, fuel bills are going to fall for the same reasons, food prices are dropping and we might see bread dipping to under £1 a loaf, and by early next year they were predicting that inflation might fall so low that it goes negative.
You seriously believe all that?

Sainsbury's this morning:

- Sainsbury's Medium Sliced White Bread £0.75 per 800g loaf
- Unleaded petrol £0.99 per litre

:thumbsup:

Steve W

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom