Penny Dreadful: City of Angels (Showtime) S1 April 26, 2020 / July 1, 2020 (Sky Atlantic & NOW TV)

I'm not thrilled that Dormer is headlining, as I've yet to find her compelling in anything.
However, Nathan Lane in a central detective role offers hope and a welcoming chance to see him in a straight role.
With any luck it won't be too woke with the Hispanic angle.

Weird, Brent Spiner isn't listed on imdb but glad to see him here.

I just can't seem to get up any enthusiasm for this, at all.
The original series was a textbook example of great series... aaaaaaaand let's condense the whole final season into one episode :facepalm:

I just can't seem to get up any enthusiasm for this, at all.
The original series was a textbook example of great series... aaaaaaaand let's condense the whole final season into one episode :facepalm:
Was about to say the same, such a let down after the fantastic build up.

cityofangelskeyart.jpg

‘Penny Dreadful: City of Angels‘ Season 1 premieres Wednesday, 1st July 2020 on Sky Atlantic & NOW TV. If you’re in America, the drama airs Sunday, April 26 at 10/9c on Showtime.

I thoroughly enjoyed this too. Felt completely different to Penny dreadful (as you would expect) but seems to be telling another great story. Sets and acting on top form and who doesn't like to see Data in another role!

Looking forward to next weeks!

I wanted to like this this but I've found it a massive let down. Nathan Lane, when onscreen, is great however the rest is I don't know what. It appears more like a Dormer vehicle and I just don't see her as weighty enough. She's good as the Mayor's snide right hand but doesn't work well as the supposed scary trickster death angel or with the cringy Germanic accent (like, sadly, a usually great Kinnear).
The story is all over the shop; the religious song bits and big dance number last night had me going, WTF am I watching?
It appeared to start well with the sacrificial murders but has ever since devolved into too many uninteresting and weird story offshoots and choices.

Last edited:
Very good show.
Lewis (Detective) steals every scene for me and mention to Natalie for playing multiple characters...esp Alex

Some amazing dance choreography too

9/10.

I wanted to like this this but I've found it a massive let down. Nathan Lane, when onscreen, is great however the rest is I don't know what. It appears more like a Dormer vehicle and I just don't see her as weighty enough. She's good as the Mayor's snide right hand but doesn't work well as the supposed scary trickster death angel or with the cringy Germanic accent (like, sadly, a usually great Kinnear).
The story is all over the shop; the religious song bits and big dance number last night had me going, WTF am I watching?
It appeared to start well with the sacrificial murders but has ever since devolved into too many uninteresting and weird story offshoots and choices.

Yep, I feel exactly the same. The central murder case is interesting enough and Nathan Lane is really good. I like the Mexican family's plot too, struggling with police racism and brutality, whilst a member of their own family is an officer In the same force.

But, like you, I can't take Dormer seriously as the font of all evil. The shots of her striding evilly toward the camera in that black leather dress just look wrong. And the scenes with her as the tough Mexican(?) woman are equally as bad.

I'm not sure why this has the Penny Dreadful label because it is so far removed from the original series, other than from the same writer, and has nothing to do with the stories from which the name comes from.

That said, I'll keep watching to see where the murder case goes.

Finished it today, didn't really think it was that great sadly and it didn't really click for me, looked decent in UHD though.

Thought it was a bit clunky in places and dragged, as others have said there was a bit too much going on at times.

Having not watched the original PD I went in quite blind, I have no doubt it'll be back for second season but not sure I'd bother investing time into the second one.

I'm halfway through the 'Margaery Tyrell Show' and struggling.

It looks great and Nathan Lane is excellent. But I'm trying hard not to delete the remaining episodes.

It's going to need one heck of a culmination but the IMDb ratings doesn't seem to suggest so.

Deleted from planner. Life is too short :(

That said, I'll keep watching to see where the murder case goes.

Sorry to quote myself, but I didn't keep watching. I gave up 10 minutes into the next episode.

Cancelled after one season

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom