Pennine Plus/how to get cheap self install thread.....

pizzed-monkey

Established Member
Reaction score
a deep pit full of rattle snakes and a very old l
like this?:)

This thread is for people who want to know how to do a CHEAP self install. It is alos the place to discuss your experiences in doing this, and how you got on with the suppliers.

At the moment the places to get your cheap HDbox for this are as follows:

Geoff @ Pennine Plus, 01535600700.
He will deliver a brand new HD box to you, anywhere in the country, for 180 ukp. Some now seem to be getting charged 190 ukp delivered, and he still will charge 180 ukp for pick up it seems - but I would try and pull him up on this. About a week ago he was doing 149 ukp if you picked up in person.

******02/01/07 UPDATE: THIS OFFER HAS ENDED NOW (after sending hundreds to Avforum memebers by the sound of it!). The price is now 230ukp pick up or 240ukp delivered untill further notice - there may well be new offers in the New Year so keep checking*******

or:
Kelly Vision in Peterborogh. At the time of writing they are out of stock, and may no longer post out of their postcode region.

or:
You can buy a box off Ebay. Currently all boxed are going for over 200 ukp, average is 245 including postage. Also you may not get a sealed brand new box.

If you know of any others PLEASE post on this thread, or let me know and I'll add them to this opening post.
I have already contacted every indy dealer in London I could find (about 20) and none would do this deal (would only sell me the box for 299).

THE DEAL:
You will be provided with a brand new HD box - that is all.
you will have to have an exisiting Sky+ set up for this, and then it is a simple "swicharoo" of the two boxes, and follow the points on this thread ( not done yet so cant comment, will update):
http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=435740

....thus saving yourself the 60 quid sky charge you to do the same thing.
If you dont have Sky+ already, this is not the deal for you as you will need an installer to run an extra line from your dish for HD.

Remember, there is a half price deal at currys/comet but they do NOT give you the box, you have to phone Sky to arrange an install. If you have multiroom this is free, so the best option, if not it is 60 quid.

EDIT: I have now done as in this link above, worked perfectly, box updated etc. The number I used to phone sky on to pair the card to the box was 08705 800822, no hold time or pointless options. Just 1 for customer install (us!) or 2 for engineer install (not us!)

cool - so when my box arrives - assuming thewy find my address, im in the middle of nowhere - i simply plug it in like for like in place of sky+ box, then call penine to get it all paired up?

we shall wait in patience for the first 'guinea pig' to give it a go. I presume Geoff will help should you be unsure about anything.

Hell, I might be the guinea pig as Im getting mine from Geoff at 4pm. :rolleyes: Might check out his shop while I'm there.

Just hope I can notice a difference with this HD, and that Chelsea vs Arsenal looks sweeeeeeeeeeet !:thumbsup:

that game is the main reason i decided to bite the bullet - and the cheaper deal of course - my bro in law is coming to visit sunday, w are both huge chelsea fans so i cant wait to show it all off

cool - so when my box arrives - assuming thewy find my address, im in the middle of nowhere - i simply plug it in like for like in place of sky+ box, then call penine to get it all paired up?

Yes, they can talk you through it.

Me, I might so it myself as I want to do it this saturday or sunday hopefully. There is another thread explaining how to do it -

http://www.avforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=435740

- I shall be giving this ago.

You ring Sky (08702 40 40 40) to pair up your card to your new box.

Just phoned to try and track my order.

It's Interlink and their phone number is 01924424800 and then they should give you your local depot's number. Penine Plus's account number is 867757 but I think you will need your consignment number as well - Geoff Higgins is phoning me back shortly with mine.

You ring Sky (08702 40 40 40) to pair up your card to your new box.

if you phone that number they may leave you on hold for ages (it's ok if you use the no 0800 0512595 as that's freephone) the installer who did mine yesterday rang 08705 800822 & got through immediately (there's option 1 for customer 2 for engineer so it's fine for joe public to phone)

if you phone that number they may leave you on hold for ages (it's ok if you use the no 0800 0512595 as that's freephone) the installer who did mine yesterday rang 08705 800822 & got through immediately (there's option 1 for customer 2 for engineer so it's fine for joe public to phone)

That's cool thanks!
I aslo have the number 08702434343 from Geoff if that helps....

come on delivery man! im so scared he will just not be able to find out address and move on - leaving me hd-less :-(

come on delivery man! im so scared he will just not be able to find out address and move on - leaving me hd-less :-(

yeah, I'd keep an eye out.....it might get chucked into a hedge from a moving veihcle if my delivery was anything to go by.:rolleyes:

OK - just arrived - no remote!! it must usually come with a remote surely?

van has been past twice here, i suppose they are doing the business deliveries first, sure hope it turns up today.

A bit dissapointed here - just been told by Geoff that my box wasn't despatched yesterday (ordered on Wednesday @ 4pm) and that it's getting despatched today to be delivered on Monday. :nono:

A bit dissapointed here - just been told by Geoff that my box wasn't despatched yesterday (ordered on Wednesday @ 4pm) and that it's getting despatched today to be delivered on Monday. :nono:

Damn, thats a bit unlucky - methinks he was a bit swamped. :thumbsdow

.....I want to get home now and check if Ive got a remote *sigh*.

yep mine too but its a xmas prezzie so wont get to try it out till boxing day :(

As long as the remotes in there i'm not too bothered about the slight delay, a lot of 24 hour deliveries actually take 48 hours to here, even when they are despatched on time, slightly annoying but not the end of the world, if it isnt here by tuesday then i'll start worrying.

Funny that. Geoff told me yesterday that they don't despatch ANYTHING on a friday and that I would have to wait until Monday :confused: Hence why I am off to pick it up today

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom