Penguin Amp2

Discussion in 'Headphones, Earphones & Portable Music' started by Reano, Mar 20, 2006.

1. Reano

Reano

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Hi Alex

Please reopen the other thread note I am not selling anything the amps I have built with a partner are purely for review I have not exchanged any sales details with anyone, please ask anyone here. The reason for the thread was for me to get some people to review the amps free of charge (I'm posting at my own cost) and then to post back their findings only after this would I look at sales. I have contacted your advertising department and got all costs, etc from a Lee Jenson. I would only intend to sell if people saw the need hence the reviews else there would be nothing to advertise. I hope this clears things up. A sales transaction will not take place without advertising and me going to the appropriate section on this forum. However what is going on ihere s a legitimate review that this forum is intended for.

Hope this is ok and clears things up.

2. alexs2

alexs2

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,671
    As I pointed out,and as we've agreed since in our conversation on this topic,the thread will remain closed until such time as you've been able to discuss the matter with the administrator of the site.

In any case,sales of any sort would have to be conducted in the Sales forum,and since the offer has been made to ...."If you like then just keep it and send a cheque, etc through if not return at your cost."....then that would in essence consitute a sale.

Please be patient enough to do as suggested and await Stuart's reply.

3. Reano

Reano

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    No worries

4. Reano

Reano

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    Look what came in my email the other day (so as you can see the original Penguin was quite flawed and you have to pay an extra £20 to get it right :cool:

"Hello,

your have bought an amplifier from me - the PenguinAmp - I hope you still enjoy it. Now I have released a new version of this amp that improves two main things:

- with very sensitive headphones/earphones, especially the in-ear-monitors, you may hear a constant noise with the old design (you won't notice it with bigger headphones)

- the battery connector may cause an electrical shortage with the tin when using external power

If you noticed one of these shortcomings and you don't like it because of that I can offer you the following: You may send back your amp to update it to the new design. The new design doesn't produce any hiss or noise - even with in-ear-monitors it is absolutely quiet. The DC input jack now is inside the amp next to the battery. This forces you to open the tin for external power and the battery connector won't touch the tin's lid. The whole interior looks more professional and "organized" now. See here a picture of the new interior:

http://www.pengamp.com/image.php?URL=http://www.pengamp.com/images/red/interior.jpg

Furhter improvements/design changes:

- the gain is set a little bit higher (you can turn the volume a little bit louder)
    - rounded and not so confusing looking circuit boards
    - better fit of the battery (doesn't shake)
    - no strips between the two circruit boards
    - the big caps are sticked to the tin (some earlier amps don't have that)

You will receive a totally new amp with new circuit boards and a new tin. Some parts were re-used as your golden caps, the switch and the knob. To cover the new parts and workmanship a little update fee is needed:

Outside of Europe: $25 + $6 shipping
    U.K.: £15 + £3.50 shipping
    Europe: €20 + €5 shipping

(If you have bought your amp via "Buy-it-Now" you may subtract $10/£5/€8 off this fee.)

Notice, this is a special offer only because of the two shortcomings above. Shipping the amp back to me costs about $5/£3 in an envelope."

5. KoThreads

KoThreads

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +190
    That's the same as the one i have.

I wondered why my power socket was inside, I just thought it had been done for ease of build as my battery goes in very tight and there wouldn't have been room if it had gone to the back of the tin.

I did try using my px100 with my penguin with no input and the volume on high. There is some noise but you definately can't hear it above music as at that level the noise floor from the player is far higher.

My only gripe is that the battery leads are just a little bit short, and I can see them coming adrift when changing the battery in future. Otherwise I love it and can't now live without it.

6. Reano

Reano

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +47
    I have some of my amps on test by some AVforumers some of them own the Penguin amp. I am now a 'former' Penguin owner (or soon to be once I can get it on eBay). :thumbsup:

Hopefully this will get good reviews :rolleyes: