Penalty Points :(

Kailash

Prominent Member
Reaction score
argh just got another 3. 39 in a 30, fixed camera. was in an area i'm not familiar with , in the dead of night with no cars or folk about. big flash and a sinking feeling :thumbsdow
will be on 6 points for two years before 3 drop off.

cheer me up and tell me i'm not alone :p

You are by no means alone

However, can I suggest you invest in a device to advise you where the cameras are and when you are driving over the limit in order to prevent further grief

They aren't expensive, they are legal and they do encourage safer driving

And my sympathies are with you. It is often virtually impossible to establish what the speed limit is on an unfamiliar section of road. Especially if you are concentrating on looking at the road ahead

http://www.pcadvisor.co.uk/reviews/gadget/3297569/tomtom-go-820-live-review/
http://www.avforums.com/forums/elec...1765545-sale-new-tomtom-live-820-sat-nav.html

Last edited:
upper newtownards road, belfast.
yeah, i'm no boy racer, i've had a run of bad luck i guess.

961 said:
And my sympathies are with you. It is often virtually impossible to establish what the speed limit is on an unfamiliar section of road. Especially if you are concentrating on looking at the road ahead

if it has streetlights and there's no repeater signs saying 40-50 or national limit it's 30mph

You are by no means alone

However, can I suggest you invest in a device to advise you where the cameras are and when you are driving over the limit in order to prevent further grief

I'm hoping that his eye's and the car's speedo should normally suffice...

(and yes I am a perfect driver who has never committed a driving offence - Joke! I'm a competant driver with a clean licence but I did get done years ago for contravening a red ATS by 0.9 seconds (Amber Gambler), and was 3mph over the speed limit at the time).

if it has streetlights and there's no repeater signs saying 40-50 or national limit it's 30mph

There are exceptions but quite apart from that show me the road where reapeater signs are maintained as they should be

I'm all for observing the speed limits, especially in 30mph zones. I repeat it is sometimes by no means easy to know what the speed limit is on a strange road from the road signs in the area. A sat nav or similar will tell you exactly what the limit is and, generally tell you if you exceed it

Perfect solution, especially if you are sitting on 6 or 9 points

If the road you are on is above 30mph then the side roads will probably have further speed limit signs to drop the speed down to 30mph for the side roads. If the side roads don't have these signs then the road you are on is probably 30mph.

If the road you are on is above 30mph then the side roads will probably have further speed limit signs to drop the speed down to 30mph for the side roads. If the side roads don't have these signs then the road you are on is probably 30mph.

The op was on a strange road in the middle of the night

While we all know (or most of us, anyway) about road signs and speed limits, my argument is that his eyes are better employed looking at the road ahead

An audible warning removes all doubt

While we all know (or most of us, anyway) about road signs and speed limits, my argument is that his eyes are better employed looking at the road ahead

Are the laws on cameras different in Ireland, or are they required to be covered in yellow/red reflective tape? :confused:
Assuming they are also covered in the stuff, and it was night, no-one should need an audible warning.
If you can't spot a blooming great reflective box in your headlights, crikey...:facepalm:
It's never been easier to spot fixed cameras.

Are the laws on cameras different in Ireland, or are they required to be covered in yellow/red reflective tape? :confused:
Assuming they are also covered in the stuff, and it was night, no-one should need an audible warning.
If you can't spot a blooming great reflective box in your headlights, crikey...:facepalm:
It's never been easier to spot fixed cameras.

I'm not actually all that interested in camera spotting. I do try to observe the speed limits regardless of cameras or not and find it increasingly difficult to decide if a road is limited to 30, 40 or 50

Along this section of the A1, mobile camera vans are becoming much more common anyway as some of the local population become more adept at setting fire to those in fixed locations

I'm not actually all that interested in camera spotting.

Noticing a bloody great reflective box is hardly "camera spotting"
If I see a train, it doesn't mean I'm train spotting.;)
When people get done by reflective cameras, it truly makes me worry about their ability to spot other roadside hazards.

I tend to keep an eye on side roads in case a car pulls out anyway, I tend to look at pavements in case a child steps out etc.

Got done by a mobile van sitting on a bridge over the M6 in Cumbria 2 weeks ago. I was in the outside lane, driving far too fast when I spotted it up there, by which time it had probably already got me.

Got the letter last week saying I was doing 91mph, sent it back immediately and been worried ever since to how much this first offence in 10 years is gonna cost me. Delighted to receive a fixed 3 points and £60 today. Really thought it would be at least 6, a hefty fine or possible court (300 miles from home)

Got the letter last week saying I was doing 91mph, sent it back immediately and been worried ever since to how much this first offence in 10 years is gonna cost me. Delighted to receive a fixed 3 points and £60 today. Really thought it would be at least 6, a hefty fine or possible court (300 miles from home)

Good result for 91mph, I'd say.
Unless it's just a sign of the times and 91mph isn't as bad as we think.

I got pulled by the traffic cops doing 92 on the M77, 3 points and 60 quid fine. Was bricking it, they told me they had me at 96 but were waiting on me hitting the 100, but when they pulled me I was at 92. Thank god, cause they told me that 92 is the max they can give a ticket for, 93 and I'd have been at court looking at dangerous driving too. That's up here, don't know if the laws in England are the same. The points are off now though :)

90mph is my self-imposed limit, these days.
I do remember doing a good bit more on the midlands expressway toll road, and still had people going past.
An M3 was one, I remember.
Given the speed I was doing, they must have been on the limiter.
Seriously.:eek:

Just sent the envelope off today for another 3 points...that makes it 6. First 3 I got for doing 60 in a 50 a week after it had been reduced to 50. I had been driving along that road for 10 years so old habits die hard I guess. This time I was photographed by the Talivan at half nine on a Sunday night doing 43, slowed down too slowly going into a 30. The 30 zone was recently extended to make a factory exit safer during weekdays but the place was closed and deserted at that time of the weekend. Obviously revenue collecting which was annoying but I was doing it so can't argue with the outcome.

Incidentally, a national speeding campaign started today, so keep it legal chaps.

FZR400RRSP said:
90mph is my self-imposed limit, these days.
I do remember doing a good bit more on the midlands expressway toll road, and still had people going past.
An M3 was one, I remember.
Given the speed I was doing, they must have been on the limiter.
Seriously.:eek:

When the m6 toll first opened it was like being on a racetrack , I once had a Mercedes, a Maserati and a BMW come up behind me one in each lane doing at least 120mph, maybe faster

The police are all over it now, one place they like to sit is on the northbound side on the bridge where you cross over to the services, there's a slight curve in the road so you don't see them until it's too late

I've noticed the in the roadworks at birmingham and Leeds the managed motorways system is up and running

It's 50mph, the cameras are live, people shoot through ignoring the big red 50 sign then flash flash, it's like a the paparazzi at a film premier

I've noticed the in the roadworks at birmingham and Leeds the managed motorways system is up and running

It's 50mph, the cameras are live, people shoot through ignoring the big red 50 sign then flash flash, it's like a the paparazzi at a film premier

we live near by Jct 27 M62 theirs accidents daily always tail backs and that's even when they are all doing 50mph

I drove for 2 years on 9 points (3x3) all for speeding in a 30 mph zone (35,35,34). To add to this I cover over 20k miles/year in my job.

That sharpened up my attitude.

Judging by some off the comments here you wouldn't think the national speed limit is 70mph :laugh:

I think I must be getting better motorway mpg readings doing 60mph in my 3L twin turbo petrol than most of you guys doing 90+ :laugh:

Last edited:
Judging by some off the comments here you wouldn't think the national speed limit is 70mph :laugh:

I think I must be getting better motorway mpg readings doing 60mph in my 3L twin turbo petrol than most of you guys doing 90+ :laugh:

For me, the only way from A to B is as fast as possible.
I enjoy the destination, not the travelling.;)

For me, the only way from A to B is as fast as possible.
I enjoy the destination, not the travelling.;)

When Mr Marples, he build M1 from Hendon to Kilsby (Watford Gap to you guys), us lot used to go out for a "drive"

In those days, 'twas better to travel than arrive

But, as one remembers, my A30 did 65mph at a struggle, and 70 for any distance would run the big ends. Leave the oil change any longer than 2500 miles and, urghhh!

However, petrol was less than half a crown a gallon!

8 gallons for £1

36 litres for £1

:):):)

The latest video from AVForums

Is 4K Blu-ray Worth It?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom