Pelmet Lighting

sjackson

Prominent Member
Reaction score
I'm looking to install a pelmet in just the rear of my room and I'd like to add some sort of down lighters. In the image below the yellow part will be the pelmet and the 4 circles will be Atmos speakers (I know they are not lined up properly). Between each pair of speakers I'd like to put 2 lights: so 2 left, 2 right and 2 between the rear speakers. 6 in total.

In this "cove" I currently have just a normal bulb hanging from a cable so I'd like something to produce as much light and not be harsh.

The pelmet will be made from MDF so I'm concerned whatever goes in there might ignite the wood. I had GU10 halogens previously in a different house and wasn't very happy with them. What's GU10 LEDs like these days? Reliable, long lasting?

Screen%20Shot%202015-05-29%20at%2015.16.09.png

I'm happy with my 6w gu10 LEDs by megaman. I have 8 around the perimeter of my 4m x 5m room and they light it adequately.
Be aware that you will probably need to change your dimmer switch to effectively control LEDs.
As for long lasting, they say 25 years and I'm over 1 year in so I'll let you know how they're doing in 24 years!
Shop around, I think mine were about £8 each.

As above you'll have no problems installing LED GU10's I install them in this type of scenario almost every week

What's the gaps between each Atmos speaker?

I'd be inclined to to have only 1 left and right then 2 at the rear.

I've have LED GU10 in my soffit. Bought 7 last year (sept) and 3 have failed. But Aurora sent me an entire new set so hopefully these last longer.

According to Dolby, the overhead speakers should be in line with the screen left and right speakers, and within a range of angles when measured from the main listening position:

http://www.dolby.com/us/en/technolo...tmos-home-theater-installation-guidelines.pdf

If that puts the overhead speakers right by the walls, you may want to experiment brining them in closer to the seating area, as per the commercial layout:

http://www.dolby.com/us/en/technologies/dolby-atmos/dolby-atmos-specifications.pdf

Experiment to see what works best for you.

Gary

I'll be interested in how you get on as this is very similar to my plan next year for adding a room round pelmet to hide speakers, downlights and curtain/blind tracks in.

I was considering making the pelmet using some kind of frame (wood, possibly aluminium) and then wrap the frame with AT fabric. That way I can angle the 'ceiling' speakers towards the centre of the room as they then don't have to be 'flat' to the pelmet. Like you it's a living room and I don't want to put the ceiling speakers in line with my L/R speakers as that would put them out too far into the room and make them impossible to hide (I actually want zero visible speakers if I can achieve that).

I've tried various GU10 LED lights over recent years. Some failed after only 2-3 years (to be fair I think they were just a bad batch), but they weren't cheap. Recently I bought some in bulk from Screwfix which are cheap (well more expensive than halogen, but cheap for LED). These have only been in 4 months or so which means it's far too early to tell how reliable they are, but at least they weren't close to £10 each so I can live with changing them out occasionally.

The plus point being that they are cool. You do need to check that you buy the correct version if you plan to dim as I made that mistake in our conservatory (5 light chandelier so not GU10s) and it is a bit too bright/harsh, so I've had to replace them with dimable and now need to find a suitable LED dimmer.

I'll be interested in how you get on as this is very similar to my plan next year for adding a room round pelmet to hide speakers, downlights and curtain/blind tracks in.

I was considering making the pelmet using some kind of frame (wood, possibly aluminium) and then wrap the frame with AT fabric. That way I can angle the 'ceiling' speakers towards the centre of the room as they then don't have to be 'flat' to the pelmet. Like you it's a living room and I don't want to put the ceiling speakers in line with my L/R speakers as that would put them out too far into the room and make them impossible to hide (I actually want zero visible speakers if I can achieve that).

I've tried various GU10 LED lights over recent years. Some failed after only 2-3 years (to be fair I think they were just a bad batch), but they weren't cheap. Recently I bought some in bulk from Screwfix which are cheap (well more expensive than halogen, but cheap for LED). These have only been in 4 months or so which means it's far too early to tell how reliable they are, but at least they weren't close to £10 each so I can live with changing them out occasionally.

The plus point being that they are cool. You do need to check that you buy the correct version if you plan to dim as I made that mistake in our conservatory (5 light chandelier so not GU10s) and it is a bit too bright/harsh, so I've had to replace them with dimable and now need to find a suitable LED dimmer.

Thanks for all that. I'm trying to avoid the GU10 halogens are they are too expensive to run and I found in a last house that I'd be replacing one weekly (I had 9). Do you have any links to quality dimmable LED units (both the bulb and fixture itself)

The latest video from AVForums

TV Buying Guide - Which TV Is Best For You?
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Back
Top Bottom