1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pearl Harbour

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by mij, Jan 14, 2002.

1. mij

mij

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +795
    I recently rented the Pearl Harbour DVD from Blockbuster, the disk works fine right up to the start of the actual film, when suddenly the Dolby Digital Sound disappears, I tried a replacement disk and found the same problem.

I have a Mico DVD A980 player and have never had a problem with any film prior to this or since (Region 1 & 2 and Superbit in either 5.1 or DTS all work ok) and wondered if anyone had a reason or solution as to why this happened.

Thanks
    mij

2. graham_ew

graham_ew

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    HI,

When you sat the Dolby Digital sound disappears do you mean 5.1 turns into stereo or you loose sound completey?

I dont know about Pearl Harbour but I nearly bought an ex rentel copy of The 6th Day until I noticed it was in stereo (2.0) unlike the retail version which is in full 5.1

maybe this is another case of the rentel customer being ripped off (ala bringing in more and more pan & scan)

Then again it could be a fault your end but check the rentel box first to make sure it says 5.1

3. RDS290176

RDS290176

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have the same problem with the Pearl Harbour DVD on a Pioneer DV717 and a Denon 1802.

4. greeny

greeny

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "The 6th Day until I noticed it was in stereo (2.0) unlike the retail version which is in full 5.1"

I've noticed retail copies of this in both stereo(2.0) and DD5.1.

Makes you wonder why they produce a Stereo only version!!. But be extra careful and check the sound formats (and picture formats) on all DVDs you Buy.

Another annoying thing is the lack of consistency on infomation provided on the back of DVDs, some don't even tell you the picture or sound format.

5. mij

mij

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +795
    Hi RDS290176,

In your reply to me about Pearl Harbour, you said that you had the same problem with a Pioneer DV717 and a Denon 1802.

I have a Mico A980 DVD player and a DENON 1602 Amp, is it possible that this is a fault with the amp and not the DVD, my amp is the cheaper version of yours, but basically the same.

I will e-mail Denon and see what they say

mij

6. S H A D O

S H A D O

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1,566
    My copy of the 6th Day states its only Dolby 2.0 but its actually 5.1 there was supposedly a balls up on the packaging.

These companies need to sort this out as some people might be put off by the "supposed" lack of 5.1.

Thankfully it doesnt happen THAT often!

7. gtfc

gtfc

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hi,

Same prob for me, the lead in is OK as soon as the film starts I get a stuttering broken soundtrack.

Using a Sony NS300
    Kenwood KRFX 9050 (THX)

Whether by coincidence or not this is the first THX film I've played.

(Back to Blockbuster For me money back )

Regards

John

8. Adam Barratt

Adam Barratt
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Denon 1602/1802 and Onkyo x9x models won't play the Dolby Digital tracks on Pearl Harbor (R1/2) or Jurassic Park 3 correctly (or some of Anchor Bay's recent R1 EX re-mixes such as Beastmaster). Check Onkyo and Dolby's websites for more information; Denon haven't commented yet.

These discs' soundtracks were created using the newest Dolby Digital iteration, version 7.0. This version includes a new metadata tag for use with Dolby Digital Surround EX soundtracks (Pearl Harbor's tag was accidentally activated: it isn't EX).

It seems the studios may have added extra data to this flag to prevent bootleg copies being produced from these discs. Most decoders are ignoring this extra (non-standard) data but some are treating it as digital 'rubbish' and muting the soundtrack or causing occasional dropouts.

Dolby, Onkyo, Denon, Universal and Disney all say they're working on a solution to the problem, but no one is willing to accept responsibility for it.

Adam