1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pearl Harbour came early!

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by BadAss, Nov 26, 2001.

1. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    I would just like to say a big thanks to Play247. Pearl harbour turned up today even though the release date is set at Dec 4th. After reading all the flak Play has recieved lately I've still yet to be disappointed. Well Done.
    On a side note I was a little disappointed with the picture. Like SWPM a THX title, yet still lacking in fine detail. No DTS ES either. 5.1 only.

2. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Mine too.:D
    Happy bunnies everywhere.

3. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +657
    I canceled my R1 from Play order and ordered the R2 from Tescos instead

Starting to wonder if I should.

I am not convinced how quickly Tescos will ship it after 3/12, but also I reading on Play, it seems that there are a lot of differences between the R1 and R2. Not just DTS.

I can't work out which one sounds better.

It implies that there is no 'making off documentary' on the R1. Can you confirm this.

I guess its not too late to change my order back again...

4. dts borg

dts borg

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +8
    Journey to the screen: The making of Pearl Harbor & The History Channel Documentry " unsung Heros" are on the R1 copy

Released on the 4 th Dec is a 3 disc beyond the movie Pearl Harbor. loads of Doc's on this one.
    Then if you want more, out comes the directors Cut 14th May 2002. Also 3 disc Special.

Watched it on Monday for the first time and really enjoyed it.
    what was the press talking about, did they see the right film?

Happy Shopping...............................;)

5. bh

bh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    Got mine today from Play. A little disappointing to change the disc after 2 hours of play. Surely the film could have fitted on a single disc (dts could account for this)? The problem is that when you load the second disc it takes quite a while to get the film started (fairly slow menus).

Never mind, at least I could skip through to the action sequences.

6. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    The reason its on two disks is because of the length of the movie,183mins. The film has to be the most underated film for some time. This movie had a great story, full of emotion, rare these days but there we go. If there had of been a big air to air action sequence near the start people would of had less to complain about. The length of the movie didn't help for those who just wanted to see place annihilated.
    One other comment is on the DD soundtrack which seemed to have a glitch. It sounds like a record player with a dirty needle. Instead used the DTS track which had some excellent surround effects.

7. Iain Shields

Iain Shields

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    I was very very dissappointed with this film when I went to see it at the cinema, the film was at least 1 hour too long, the acting by several members of the cast was dodgy to say the least and the script was on the wrong side of terrible.

IMHO this film missed a very good opportunity to do a "modern take" on the terrible events that took place at Pearl Harbour, instead we got a bad rehash of Titanic put into a different setting, a film more in the 'spirit' of a Saving Private Ryan would have been much more appropriate and dare I say, entertaining...

As always this is just my opinion and I do not want to take away from anyone who has enjoyed this film, I hope you all get many hours of viewing pleasure from your new purchase.

8. bh

bh
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +1
    BadAss,

Good point but it isn't this a case of trade-offs for long films which have to conform to THX transfer standards (??). On the one hand, people might prefer a natural intermission during such a long film whilst the inconvenience on the other hand is a pseudo-flipperesque event (in practical terms this doesn't bother me but this is likely to be a mass market seller and this will send out the woring sgnals about DVD's convenience). A number of posts above has commented on the softness of the picture (suggesting that the bitrate may not be at its highest).

The irony is that probably the single factor which has tipped the film beyond the storage of a single disc (except DVD-18) is the dts soundtrack - considered to be a rival by THX in its 6.1 market. So, on the one hand we get a 'nice' THX disc set which splits the film due to the 'accomodation' of a rival audio format? (Only a theory mind you.)

Apocalypse Now Redux runs for 202 minutes and is on single disc (albeit lacking dts).

A world of trade-offs awaits. Perhaps more DVD-18s or (whisper) and new format.

Tongue withdraws from cheek..............

9. dwsadler1

dwsadler1

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    What is the Dolby Headphone soundtrack like?

Is this present on R1 & R2 discs?

10. delta

delta
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Well if anyone finds Pearl Harbor to be too long at 183 minutes they can at least skip the chapters they think shouldn't be included!

11. Dave H

Dave H

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +145
    I think the picture was quite good but I am only watching it on a 32 inch panny and my trusty tosh 2109,I thought the DTS soundtrack was excellant but couldn't believe it when it said I had to turn over the disk (change).
    I thought the film was good up until after the attack on pearl harbour but the last hour? the attack on Japan, what was all that about!
    anyway I am glad I borrowed this of my mate as I don't thik I will be buying this never mind.
    cheers Dave.

12. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    Personnally...
    Id just watch the scene where the americans get bombed and set it to autorepeat...

I hvae nothing against Americans, its the way they think they single handedly won the war that annoys me...

13. Desticado

Desticado

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +6
    For those of you not sure which reagion of this disk to buy for the extras / soundtrack etc check out the following...

http://www.dvdcompare.org.uk/comparisons/film_results_page.php?fid=1351

This site lists every disk that is available in both R1 & R2 format along with a comparrison of the extras.

Apparrently there is a 3-disk version due for release on the 15th of May although I continue to be amazed why many people are buying this disk.

I liked the review that said "kiss kiss bang bang" was a bit of an overcomplited way to decribe the plot..

14. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I really enjoyed this film, a lot!
    Great fun.
    I especially like guessing where something will come up in the film again, ie, 'let's play chicken with these japs'. Also, guessing who'll live and who'll get blasted. Oh dear, how convenient a hero dies to make way for a happy ending. Saw it coming a mile off. :D :D I should write these scripts!
    Overall, great entertainment.
    8/10.

15. Rob

Rob

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +33
    Do you really have to change discs with Pearl Harbor? This should never happen. Das Boot & Magnolia, to name but 2 are both 3 hour movies, on one side. Harks back to the (good old?) laser discs. Something I certainly don't miss.

16. Jon Weaver

Jon Weaver

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Born in Bristol but now in Newport, (for my sins)
    Ratings:
    +657
    The disk swapping business may be one reason why the R2 is better.

Although I havn't watched it yet, I get the feeling, by looking at the lables on the disk, that the ENTIRE film is on Disk 1, and the extras on Disk 2.

I think that the film didn't fit on the R1 disk because of the extra bandwidth needed for the DTS sound track!

17. Family Guy

Family Guy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    If everyone has the hump about changing the disc, buy the R2 version. Film on one disc and extras on the other.
    PLUS, the EX soundtrack is "flagged". First time I have ever seen this.