1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pearl Harbor

Discussion in 'TV Show Forum' started by mcmullanbrush, Jun 27, 2002.

1. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have just watched Pearl Harbor on DVD.

I gave this film a chance because I got the 4 disc vista edition for 19.99 and reckoned if it was as awful as people say, I could sell it on without losing too much.

The dialogue is toe curlingly terrible. That is not just a figure of speech, my toes were actually curling! At one point my big toe was touching my forehead.

The first 75 minutes are by far the worst, a feeble attempt to get the audience to care about these cliche spouting characters. I understand this is a trademark of the bray/bruckheimer film, but this one really takes the p*ss.

Now, the thing is, once the action starts it is spectacular. I hope I am not giving the story away by telling you the Japanese attack Pearl Harbor by the way;) . The visual and sound effects are brilliant. It is clearly not in the same class as Saving Pte Ryan but it does succeed in depicting the brutality of war in the same way.

The action then ticks over pretty much until the end of the film.
    I doubt I will ever again watch this film from the start, but i will certainly keep it and watch it from 75 minutes onwards.

2. graham.myers

graham.myers

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On a visit to somebodies huse they were watching PH on VHS as I walked in just as the attack sequence was starting.

Even on VHS and a standard telly it was very good. So much so I was going to ignore the disk and now have an intention of buying it.

3. Dr.Rock

Dr.Rock

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +9
    What's the difference between this director's cut and the normal version?

4. bob007

bob007

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    ....about 600 bombs :D

5. mcmullanbrush

mcmullanbrush
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I have only seen the Directors Cut, but it seems to be a full 60 seconds longer than the standard version.