1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pearl Harbor (sic)

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by Ono, May 26, 2001.

1. Ono

Ono

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    I am looking forward to watching this one.

The trailer gives it the feel and look of Armageddon. (I know, I know, same peeps).

It has got average reviews, but hey!, I remember Armageddon getting panned and I loved that to bits.

2. European

European

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "average reviews" ?

...found these quotes from American reviews:

"Like a Giant Cereal Commercial"- NY Post

"Pearl Vets give Pearl Thumbs down"-NY Post

"Never Have So Many Spent So Much on so Little"-NY Times

"A Dumb, Soulless Behemoth"- Associated Press

"Incoherent, Jingoistic, Timid, Naive and Ultimately Inconsequential"-NewCityChigago.com

"Big Budget Roman Candle Bombs"-St Petersburg Times

"Simplistic, Cliche-Ridden..Bombs have the Best Part"-South Florida Sun Sentinel

"A Dud ... Like Every Overblown TV Miniseries You've Hated Yourself for Having Been Suckered Into"- Orlando Sentinel

. . . :D . . .

3. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    I am the same.
    I read the quotes above and they are prob all right.
    However, I am easily pleased and I want to see it.
    I am not a critic and to be blunt want to see the bombs etc :).

4. European

European

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
  5. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Noooooooooooooooo.............. :eek:

6. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I guess the previews/trailers are missleading, it's a romance story and not a war movie.

Like "Titanic" which, for reasons I best leave unexplained, I had to see twice (at the cinema) - still the best part was where the ship broke apart and sunk.
    Could have been a 30min. film only ... :D

BTW: As "Pearl Harbor" is not that authentical (obviously typical for American WWII movies ...) the ending is planned to be cut in the Japanese release as not to hurt their feelings.
    I think there is a speech at the end where the attack is called "cowardly" or something like that ...

As well the previews in Germany and Japan focus more on the love side of things instead of the actual attack.

Not a movie for me then ....

7. Timh

Timh

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +140
    Johnathan Ross slated it on his radio show this morning, he will also be slating it on Film2001 in the near future.
    :( I was looking forward to seeing this one.

Tim :(

8. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Yes, my understand of the film was
    that it was "utter SH!t&" also.

SteveEX

---------------------------------
    Dodge this!

9. RMCF

RMCF

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +630
    I too was interested in the arrival of PH, until I read about it recently and found out that it was by the same people as Armageddon. I then saw the trailer and now know that I don't want to see it. I can just guess what it is going to be like - Armageddon 2. It comes as no surprise that it is getting a slating in the press. I believe that the days of these types of films is going. People are getting fed up looking at hugely expensive films with state of the art SFX. Actual stories are becoming increasingly more important (as they should always have been). But having said that, I don't doubt that PH will clean up at the box office.

10. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    'Titanic 2' would probably be more appropiate ... ;)

11. Juzminator

Juzminator

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    It'll probably be flag-waving, overblown mush, with clumsily placed musical cues etc.......but - it has got big explosions in it!!! :)

I reckon you gotta see it for what it is - a popcorn flick/friday night beer n'curry video rental.

I hated the mushy/pro-American bits in Armageddon, ID4, Godzilla etc. - but at the same time, was extemely entertained by the movies themselves - c'mon guys, they're just no-brainers with lots of SFX - if I wanna be "challenged" by a film I'll go and watch a "worthy" European film - slagging off this film is tooooo easy, we all know what it'll be like, but so what...there's a place for no-brainer blockbusters in the movie marketplace too.

PS - Reiner you are correct: Titanic should have only been 30 mins long. ;)

12. mjwhitehouse

mjwhitehouse

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    On an historical note, it is often put about by Americans that this "surprise" attack was the first aggresive act of the Japanes in WW2. In fact the invasion of Malaya has started some 12 hours earlier. However as Hawaii is over the international dateline, they claim it happened the day before. Still its only history right!

13. swartzy

swartzy

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +655
    Just when I started to read the hype about this film I noticed Ben Affleck as one of the leading actors and thought "Well thats killed it"....I am not one of his fans at all.

:)swartzy :)

14. Ono

Ono

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    Clearly the majority vote amongst the forum here is against the film.

Betcha most of you will buy the DVD when it comes out though.

It's the old argument about Armageddon again isn't it? I personally liked Armageddon a lot and if Pearl Harbor is anything like it I will be happy.

As for the historical accuracy about the film - who cares?! U571, The Patriot and even Saving Private Ryan were historically ****** and yet they were good films.

15. Reiner

Reiner

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    Surely I will not buy it on DVD and I don't own Armageddon or U571 either though I must admit they were to a certain degree entertaining (but I think you will agree that the ending of U571 was really cheesy!?).
    I do own ID4 though ... :rolleyes:

I think SPR never claimed it was authentic or based on a true story, so this one doesn't count.

But everyone got his own taste which I respect and surely there are a lot's of films which I call 'good' and others won't like at all, but I will not buy a movie again just because of the SFX alone.

16. General Skanky

General Skanky

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +44
    Our problem here is that a lot of members like a 'quality' film as to others like me who are happy with 'Big Entertainment Blockbusters' like PH right through to the better stuff. Ok, PH has a pants story and it's very USA!!, but so what. We know it's Hollywood sludge.
    Big screen entertainment is what's on offer here, so enjoy.

17. Arthur.S

Arthur.S

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I think a real good clue that PH was gonna be mush, was the fact that Disney made it. It's probably got one of those crap formulated Disney songs in it.

18. Ars longa, vita brevis

Ars longa, vita brevis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    so not expected to be a patch on tora tora tora then?

that was very cool

19. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Lets face it, look who's producing it, Jerry Bruckheimer. Listed credits include Flash Dance, Top Gun, Gone in 60 seconds need I say more. This guy's responsible for some of the biggest none brainers of all time. Credit where credits due.

Books for Brains, Movies for Mongies... Never shall the two meet. Not where big moneys concerned anyway and Jerry knows it.

I've watched Saving Private Ryan twice. First time I watched the whole movie, second time I watched the start and the end. Hows that for a none brainer.

Jerry's taking the same formula from film to film. Good looking guy wants to shag good looking girl while looking cool flying, driving, shooting some cool looking hardwear. Another couple of years we'll see the same thing over again but in a different setting.

Besides, none brainers are some of the most re-watchable movies you can buy.

[ 29-05-2001: Message edited by: BadAss ]

20. karla

karla

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I'm looking forward to PH. The criticisms are predictable (overly patriotic, too long, historically inaccurate, brainless blah blah....) yes, I know all this, but it still will not stop me from enjoying it. Nobody can frame a scene like M Bay. Every shot of armageddon had depth, space and a symetrical quality that has yet to be matched. It is easy to mock, but armaggedon was a 2 and a half hour movie that consisted of shots that were very often mere seconds long. cant be easy.

I will probably wait until the criterion 9 disc special edition before buying though

21. cozzer

cozzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    thought i'd add my thoughts as i finally saw PH last night. IMHO the special effects are amzing and the battle scenes are excellent.......as for the rest, well, it makes titanic seem like high art. the first 90 minutes is the worst kind of so-called 'character development' - supposedly after this, you are supposed to care for the characters. hell, i was cheering the japanese in the attack!!
    but, it is not as bad as everyone says. 3 hours is too long and the love story is parp. but, i just can't say that i hated it.
    and sadly, i probably will buy it on dvd - who watched anything on the SPR dvd other than the first and last 20 minutes anyway?

22. Confucius

Confucius

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +90
    Can't remember if this has been said before, but there is (at least) one good thing re: Pearl Harbor...

The bad guys don't have British accents!

23. cozzer

cozzer

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    dont worry - go and see it and you will see that they still manage to somehow blame us brits for it all - dont want to spoil things but if you watch it, you'll see what i mean! :eek:

24. squid

squid
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    has anyone here been watching the historicaly corect bit's about pearl harbor. i would just love it if one of these films actuly told a true life story that is as acurate as pos

are the jap minny subs mentioned and the fact that they had an opotunity to be on full alert befor the attack.

i am another who is fed up woth them sticking the good story in the background and filling the film up with mush.

i personaly would like to see a film from the jap point of veiw , i'm sure that would have maid a good story .showing the actions leading up to the attack . then there would have been no need to fill it up with slush and we would have a proper war film

just my opinion
    simon

ps . the programs have been on "national geographic"

[ 01-06-2001: Message edited by: squid ]

25. Ono

Ono

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +103
    Empire mag just gave it 4 stars and were very impressed by it.