Pearl Harbor - New thread now people can/have seen it

Discussion in 'Movie Forum' started by h0l1yw0od, Jun 2, 2001.

1. h0l1yw0od

h0l1yw0od

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    :) I saw this yesterday and all i can say is wow - this film is superb and I loved it. With Bay at the healm it goes without saying that it looked great. I thought the love story worked, it was emotional and well acted. And like the visuals the sound was top notch too.

Obviously this is my opinion and you'll have yours, but for me Michael Bay has delivered the goods once again and this is now at the top spot of my most wanted DVD list (yes Star Wars 4-6, Indy and BTTF would be there too if they were actually coming out).

Bay hasn't disappointed me yet and i can't wait for whatever he gives us next.

Roll on one utterly Stuffed Edition DVD! :p

2. Del

Del

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    It seems as though Pearl Harbour has at least one FAN...It's certainly not me.

I will say the SFX were First Class. A SE DVD with additional footage would be interesting...

IMO I thought the Audience could've done without the OTT love interest. It had no relevance to the event.

The Movie should've concentrated more on the now obvious bogus diplomatic efforts of the Japanese prior to the unfortunate bombing with Americans. It would've made a more interesting dialogue. (The movie "16 Days" used this IMHO to good effect). (The movie "16 Days" used this IMHO to good effect).

Additionally 3 hrs? Too Long!!

3. GarethH

GarethH
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2
    I quite enjoyed it, it was not fantastic but pretty good.

If they cut down on the love story a bit, then it would have improved. Gotta say the special effects are the best i've ever seen. Amazing.

I think i'll buy the DVD!

4. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Just seen it tonight and thought it was good but could of been better.
    The story builds up to the point where he joins the Eagles in England but then all that happens is a quick sequence of his first 20+ missions. Why couldn't the story of been built up to the point where he's about to get into his fighter before his first dogfight where he stops and thinks to himself if he doing the right thing. He then jumps into his plane, takes off and gets his first kill in a lengthy dogfight. Then run a sequence of his following missions. Instead what happens is you get one dogfight which is way too short and has him getting shot down.
    The love story was good but overdone and really got messed up near the end.
    The SFX were good but some shots were far too short. Not because it was a Micheal Bay film, but because it was all CGE's. The same can be said for The Phantom Menace.

Still the 3hours or so went very quickly.

[ 03-06-2001: Message edited by: BadAss ]

5. Ars longa, vita brevis

Ars longa, vita brevis

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i tried to go see it last night, but the cinema was extremely busy, six out of about 14 screens were sold out, i have never seen a single screen sold out before, never mind six!

i thin ki shall make another attemp again, so i can go see it in the premier screen

6. meva

meva

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Sorry,I thought it was rubbish,so bad I was rooting for the Japanese.Shame really as I loved Armageddon and The Rock.

7. The Taskmaster

The Taskmaster

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Why not root for the Japanese? After all, they made home-cinema affordable for all of us! Anyway, why doesn't someone just make the film we all want to see - 120mins of noise-induced CGI explosions of septic tanks getting killed. :)

8. titan

titan

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Hmm. this all sounds familiar. a movie about a real life tradgedy fleshed out by an over the top love story where the real action only happens in the last half hour????
    mmm

Titanic anyone?

sounds like someone tried to copy what they thought was a winning formula.

9. Rambo John J

Rambo John J
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,186
    I thought it was horse-hair pants. I'll never get that 3 hours back either :(

10. h0l1yw0od

h0l1yw0od

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +13
    I've seen it twice now! It's just soooooooooooooo good!! According to something i read on DVD File yesterday the DVD is now being worked on (and plans are going forth for the Planet Of The Apes disk!!)

11. meva

meva

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    h0l1ywood,please don't see it again,go see the dish instead it's much better(assuming you haven't already)

12. Metric

Metric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    i really really hate people that bang on about inacurate holywood blockbuster movies.

They are made with studio money to make money, if you want a documentary there are plenty around!

The film is very well done, ben affleck as always enjoyable to watch, cuba goodin junior - great.

The effects were spot on and it would be a pretty boring movie without the love spin running through it.

remember 2 things, 1 its just a movie and 2 its still just a movie... enjoy it for what its for

Mike

13. meva

meva

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    All good points,I just thought Pearl Harbour was a bad movie.One good point about it was that it didn't paint ant race,colour or creed in a bad light unlike the reprehensible and even worse Titanic.

14. Len

Len

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    "I really really hate people that bang on about inacurate holywood blockbuster movies."

Sorry I have to take issue with this... You are talking horse doo doo. I cannot comment on PH as I haven't seen it, but to say that a movie is just a movie is crazy. That would seem to back up lazy behaviour by the producers, writers and directors involved in the making of such movies. Surely you can educate and entertain at the same time. I'm certainly not against entertainment and films such as Armageddon can get away with it because they are not purporting to be about real events. PH and U571 [as much as I enjoyed it] are. Wasn't Pearl Harbour dramatic enough without having to lie about it or be inaccurate?

15. Guest

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Lets face it the main audience ( and the greatest source of revenue) is the US and even their schools cant get it right so why should the films. I used to have an american girlfriend when I was in the sixth form who didnt believe me when I said that America was British ruled until the war of independance. It had never occured to her that you struggle to find european architecture over 300 years old in America!!!!!

I thought it was good for what it was, not top of class, but certainly not bad for its genre.

[ 14-06-2001: Message edited by: nunew ]

[ 14-06-2001: Message edited by: nunew ]

16. Caroline

Caroline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi,
    We saw Pearl Harbor in San Francisco while on a driving holiday in the States. We arrived at the cinema - which had more than 20 huge screens - about five minutes before the film was due to start and asked if it was possible to get two seats for that performance. The guy selling the tickets said the film hadn't been doing too well there and there was plenty of room and some. It was quite a funny experience to watch this sort of film surrounded by Amercans. Unlike British cinema audiences, no-one was crunching their way through huge buckets of popcorn and nobody could be heard talking through the film - a truly enlightening experience. We quite enjoyed the film and will certainly be getting it in DVD when it comes out. By the way, in the verssion shown in the States, during the newsreel segment, the newscaster refers to bombing in downtown London which quite amused us. It this the same in the British screening?

Caroline :cool:

17. Del

Del

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Caroline

<<We saw Pearl Harbor in San Francisco while on a driving holiday in the States. We arrived at the cinema - which had more than 20 huge screens >>

Was this the AMC cinema on Vaness Ave in San Fran or the Sony Metro off Market St?
    Both are movie goers paradise. :)

<< Unlike British cinema audiences, no-one was crunching their way through huge buckets of popcorn and nobody could be heard talking through the film - a truly enlightening experience. >>

We actually saw the movie in Los Angeles. Not only was the cinema virtually full (It was Memorial Day) but there was a couple in front of us who obviously were not interested in the movie. They were talking throughout, even when repeatedly being told to shut the fudge up!! :mad:

You are right, that spoils viewing and enjoyment. Probably that's why on reflection I was critical in my earlier post on this movie. :eek:

Del :)

18. meva

meva

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +14
    Caroline,I feel I must defend British cinema patrons.In my experience movie audiences are generally better behaved in the U.K than the U.S.I've been to to the pictures probably 30x plus in the U.S in various states and generaly they're a pretty noisy bunch,mobile phones,wandering in and out,noisy eating etc,etc.I have come to the conclusion that this is the reason home theater is so big in the States.During my last trip to Florida I wanted to kill on several occasions.
    p.s Del,I think you were probably critical in you're earlier post because the movie is crap.

[ 15-06-2001: Message edited by: meva ]

19. Len

Len

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Caroline... I have to say that I saw Shrek in the US. And was irritated somewhat by a guy behind me with his kids. The kids were fine... it's just he kept repeating the funny lines after they had been said on screen. I vote this the singular most annoying habit in cinemas... no wait strike that... ther most annoying is people who say the lines just before the actor on screen.

20. Metric

Metric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

A movie is just a movie, put it into context of life. The actual destruction of Pearl Harbour wasnt exciting, just appaling...i think that a movie that inspires people to research the real event is great, but i stick to my previous comments, a movie is just a movie.

Mike

21. Metric

Metric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ahh went to the sony metro, got a nice microsoft cup and saucer...sad huh ;)

22. BadAss

BadAss
    Banned

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +182
    Only if it had a picture of Bill Gates on the front. ;)

23. Del

Del

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Metric

<<Ahh went to the sony metro, got a nice microsoft cup and saucer...sad huh>>

Ooh, that hurt !! :)

I actually prefer the Discovery World Shop!!

Del

24. Caroline

Caroline

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi Del,
    Yep, it was the Sony Theatre on Market and 3rd. I think there were about 20 screens in there and if they were all as big as Screen 12 where we saw Pearl Harbor then it was an amazingly huge place. We meant to check it out the next day but got side-tracked with other attractions.
    Well, it would seem we were lucky in our American cinema-going experience judging by the replies to my earlier post. Funnily enough, while over there we both remarked on how few people we had seen using mobiles. We assumed that perhaps the novelty value had worn off in the States, while over here it seems that you're not really cool unless you're shouting at the top of your voice into a lump of plastic wedged against your ear. Cool or fool.
    Anyone remember whether the downtown London phrase was used in the British showing of Pearl Harbor. Sorry to be so boring.
    Caroline

25. Del

Del

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +16
    Caroline

<<Funnily enough, while over there we both remarked on how few people we had seen using mobiles.>>

They use pagers instead.

Del :)

26. Metric

Metric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0

we got some niiiiice back massage items from there ;) did you go to bubbagump? i miss my old job, i get to go as far as reading now (non business class aswell) ;P

27. Len

Len

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Metric... re: sticking by your original statement a movie is just a movie....

Would you say the same about the films produced under the Nazi regieme in the thirties and forties. Film is a powerfull medium that can be used very effectively as propaganda. Both Stalin and Hitler realised this as does every other government in the world. Why else would Clockwork Orange have been banned from this country for so long [albeit at Kubrick's request] What about Paths of Glory being banned in France... And All Quiet On The Western Front in Germany. What about Battleship Potemkin [Yeah I know I've spelt it wrong] Were they just films?

I'm not levelling the criticism at Pearl Harbour as such as I haven't seen it. Maybe you are intelligent enough to say it is just a movie... But half the US population think the war started at PH. Movie's aren't just movies and television isn't just television, they are powerfull tools that if missused can corrupt.

28. Metric

Metric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Len, agreed when broken down to its medium, then of course film is powerful but that isnt what we were discussing, see previous comments about documentary material. However, keeping things in context a movie is a movie, and a movie made for holywood is made to make money, bottom line.

Whilst i agree with many of your comments and would not attempt to insult your inteligence by suggesting youre wrong in your views, it still does annoy me when people will jump on the passing bandwagon slating a film, in many cases one theyve never seen, purely because its a big expensive holywood blockbuster. The reverse also annoys me when people cant call a movie a classic unless its made on a shoestring or 50yrs ago in black and white...

There is a difference i feel between a 'movie' and 'film' and as people died in said war i felt i owed it to them to express my opinion...but if a movie about the battle of midway doesnt come out this summer then life will go on...a movie is just a movie

Mike

29. Metric

Metric

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Thats a whole other debate ;)

30. Len

Len

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    But Metric... The point I'm making is that you can still make a decent hollywood movie AND get your facts straight.It IS possible... and doing otherwise is just lazy or political.