1. Join Now

AVForums.com uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Pearl and Dean adverts on DVD

Discussion in 'Projectors, Screens & Video Processors' started by GavinBrowne, Oct 15, 2004.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. GavinBrowne

GavinBrowne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I have been looking for the above for a number of years with no luck. Tonight, when trawling Ebay, guess what!!

Someone is selling a 70 minute DVD with 2 Pearl and Dean intros and 70 minutes of old cinema ads. It would be a great bit of fun for the start of the evening before watching a film with mates.

They are asking £10.99, but they have no feedback rating yet as they have only been an Ebay member for a few days. I'm tempted to go for it and see what happens.

i just thought I would let everyone know about it in case someone has already seen a copy of this DVD and can comment on the quality of the content.

Cheers,

2. JMPremier

JMPremier
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    Ermmmm.........
    and this is connected to CRTs!
    Maybe better placed in one of the DVD forums.

Da Da Da Daa Daa, Da Da Da Daa Daa, Daahhhhhhhh......

John

3. GavinBrowne

GavinBrowne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    John,

Apologies if anyone feels this was the wrong place for the posting. I just thought that other folks like me with a CRT were more likely to have a dedicated home cinema and would like to know about the existence of the DVD.

No harm intended.

Cheers,

4. GlennR

GlennR

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi Gavin,

I for one think this is related to CRTs'.

Pearl and Dean Advertisements are synonymous with Cinemas and together with using a CRT to replicate that nostalgia of yesteryear.

I purchased one of these Pearl and Dean DVD's some 6 months ago and was not disappointed. It looks fabulous on my Barco 801s - Ahh the memories came flooding back of the black and white advert for the local Hong Kong Chinese restaurant.

I also recollect a long running Pearl and Dean thread also on the forum.

Glenn

5. GrahamC

GrahamC

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +67
    Gavin search on this forum for Pearl and Dean as there is an ongoing project for an advert/intro DVD. Might be a link up for this. :thumbsup:

6. GavinBrowne

GavinBrowne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Guys,

Thanks for the replies. I have just ordered the DVD and spent an hour reading the BIG thread you mentioned above. I can't wait to see the finished results.

Cheers,

7. JMPremier

JMPremier
    Standard Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +0
    I might get a copy for the fun of it :D

John

8. GavinBrowne

GavinBrowne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    I will let everone know what it's like when my copy arrives.

Cheers,

9. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,016
    Has it arrived yet? :)

Gary.

10. GavinBrowne

GavinBrowne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi folks,

Well the DVD arrived yesterday and it's pretty good. It is mostly 60 's and very early 70's adverts. Runs for about 70 minutes and is essentially 5 or 6 reels of adverts with pearl and dean intro's and outro's.

The chapters are just set randomly so you can't choose to just play one of the reels and I was hoping to be able to import the video from it into ulead DVD moviefactory and then produce 5 or 6 DVDs with my own choices of adverts with each disc having the Pearl and Dean intro and outro, but the audio on the disc is AC3 so moviefactory doesn't like it.

Does anyone know of a DVD editing package that will allow me to import and edit direct from DVD that supports AC3 encodes soundtracks?

The adverts themselves are a mixture of high budget cigarette ads like B&H, Marlboro etc. makeup, shoes, cars, clothing, toothpaste, icecream, etc and then there are quite a few of the local indian restaurant type of ads.

If i could just get them onto 5 or 6 DVDs instead of all one it would be perfect.

That way I could put one in at random before a film now and then for fun.

Cheers,

11. Gary Lightfoot

Gary Lightfoot
    Distinguished Member

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +2,016
    Hi GAvin,

It sounds pretty good - what are you watching it on? Is the video quality good enough for a projector for instance?

I'm wondering if DVDShrink will do what you want - it's freeware, and has the facility to re-author the disk, so you may be able to just create a single DVD by dragging over the particular part of the movie you want. Worth a look and you've nothing to lose anyway. I use it to put movies onto my HTPCs hard drive without menus etc, and it's a great program for that. I don;t think you'de be able to create an edited dvd with menus though.

Otherwise, I'm wondering of Sonics MYDVD has that facility - I think it says it can edit existing DVDs from disk, so that might work. Otherwise, Adobe Premiere and Encore might do the job. TMPGenc do some good programs for both mpg encoding and DVD authoring, but I'm not sure how it would deal with what you need to do.

HTH

Gary.

12. GavinBrowne

GavinBrowne

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +4
    Hi again,

Well I have just managed to create a DVD iso image which has the classic P&D intro and outro on it along with about 7 cinema adverts from the 60's and 70's as a test.

It works!! and is pretty good on my 7.5 foot wide screen. I used TMpeg to put the whole thing together and the ads I have put on this 1st one are (in no specific order), Hamlet, Lulu singing about Happy shoes !!, B&H cigs (the classic one with Peter Sellers and Spike Milligan), a couple of local indian restaurants, mens clothing ad, an old womens corset ad.

I pinched the intro's and outro's from Nigel's site as they were better quality than the ones I had on the ebay DVD and then I ripped the ads from the Ebay DVD I got on Friday.

If you have a DVD burner and want to download the iso image I am in the process of uploading it to one of my file stores on the web. It's 178 MB so you'll need broadband to get it really.

Also, is there a way of hosting it somewhere else with no traffic restrictions as I don't want to have it on my file server too long in case it screws up my account.

I am going to stop double posting in this thread now as everything is also in the thread about Pearl and Dean ads over the in the tech talk forum.

http://www.avforums.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=46

I'll post the location of the file there at about 8pm as it will have uploaded by then.

Cheers,

13. GagHalfrunt

GagHalfrunt

Products Owned:
    Products Wanted:
    Ratings:
    +3
    Let's keep things in that other thread as it's not really CRT projector stuff. Closing...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.