Peak brightness CX vs C1

relentless

Standard Member
According to rtings peak brightness in both SDR and HDR is better on the CX.

Does anyone know if this is still the case after presumably several firmware updates since the reviews?

Where does B1 fit in now in terms of brightness?
According to rtings the B1 has far better gradients, can anyone comment who’s actually used these TVs?

iwb100

Distinguished Member
According to rtings peak brightness in both SDR and HDR is better on the CX.

Does anyone know if this is still the case after presumably several firmware updates since the reviews?

Where does B1 fit in now in terms of brightness?
According to rtings the B1 has far better gradients, can anyone comment who’s actually used these TVs?
The differences between C1 and CX in terms of peak brightness are so small that it doesn’t matter. You won’t notice. Most reviews give C1 a few nits more but it’s not going to be perceptible and there is also unit to unit variance as Rtings found their review C1 slightly less bright than their CX. But they don’t calibrate for measurements. Uncalibrated both sets are somewhere between 700-800 max nits using a standard mode. Calibrated this will be lower. But it’s possible to marginally flip either way depending on set. The B1 is less bright at 520 nits sort of range. Which is not really super for HDR falling below the 2016 OLEDs even. For someone who cares about HDR a lot the B1 is probably less than ideal given you can get better HDR OLEDs for a similar price.

relentless

Standard Member
The differences between C1 and CX in terms of peak brightness are so small that it doesn’t matter. You won’t notice. Most reviews give C1 a few nits more but it’s not going to be perceptible and there is also unit to unit variance as Rtings found their review C1 slightly less bright than their CX. But they don’t calibrate for measurements. Uncalibrated both sets are somewhere between 700-800 max nits using a standard mode. Calibrated this will be lower. But it’s possible to marginally flip either way depending on set. The B1 is less bright at 520 nits sort of range. Which is not really super for HDR falling below the 2016 OLEDs even. For someone who cares about HDR a lot the B1 is probably less than ideal given you can get better HDR OLEDs for a similar price.
Excellent detailed answer, many thanks iwb100. Has given me some more insight and makes me realise how you have to take data within the correct context.

iwb100

Distinguished Member
Excellent detailed answer, many thanks iwb100. Has given me some more insight and makes me realise how you have to take data within the correct context.
Yeah. The C1 is a slightly better TV than the CX. But the CX price now is more than low enough to compensate for the minor differences. At least IMO.

The latest video from AVForums

Samsung S95B Update, B&W Panorama 3 & Q Acoustics Reviews, HDR PQ EOTF/Gamma Calibration Discussion
Subscribe to our YouTube channel
Support AVForums with Patreon

Top Bottom